PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me?

animal_rescue
09-28-2005, 05:07 PM
For about 3 weeks now I've been terrified of school(well I've always been afraid of school but it's gotten really really bad). I mean litterally getting sick at the thought of being in school!
I was out all last week from throwing up and no one knew what was wrong. I get a stomach ache in the morning before school starts, I sweat like crazy, usually throw up, and I can't eat. I've had trouble eating for awhile now, I can eat when I get home but it takes a few hours to feel better.
I am going to start going to a therapist next week, which I'm totally nervous about, and maybe he can tell me what's wrong.
It's horrible, I'm failing health class because I couldn't get infront of the class to give a speech, I almost started crying and felt like I was going to pass out:( and now I have to give a speech in speech class(it's a required class) next week and I don't think I can do it! If I do I would be so out of it, almost like a place between dreaming and fainting. I would be sweating like crazy, my mouth goes dry, I will be forcing myself to talk, and I'll shake like crazy.
My speech is on Thursday next week and I meet my therapist Thursday night, so until then can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get through the speech? Please I really don't want to fail 2 classes!

bluekat
09-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Do you know why exactly you're terrified of school? Like is it because of the people, teachers, or something?

I get nervous making speeches in front of the class too..I hate doing it so much. I don't really have much suggestions for you, but just try to get through it pretending theres nobody else in the room. Just keep on talking & it'll be over before you know it. Good luck..:)

animal_rescue
09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
It's the people but the main thing is I feel kind of trapped in a way. Like I know I can't go home until 2:15 and that makes me nervous that I have to wait to go home that I can't go anytime I want and that's where I want to be at home. Another thing is I just don't like being around large groups of people.

Flatcoatluver
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a ulcer its a porblem with you stomach when you get nervous and it get worse when you have acidy foods, you need to go see the doctor, because if it gets really bad then you have to have sergery.

K9soul
09-28-2005, 07:51 PM
You sound to me to be suffering from what is known in the psychiatric world as agoraphobia. It literally means "fear of open places" but that is not what agoraphobia is. In a nutshell, it is anxiety caused by feeling "trapped" in a situation, whether it be at work, home, at the supermarket, etc. I have anxiety disorder and have suffered from agoraphobia as well. It can be quite debilitating and can manifest itself in physical ailments when the anxiety becomes intense enough. You really need to speak to a psychiatrist and/or therapist and get some help for this, whether it be relaxation techniques or counseling, or if all else fails some tricyclic antidepressants can help with this.

Here is more of an explanation of agoraphobia, but you can search on the net and find more about it too and see if that is fitting what you think you're feeling.

http://pages.infinit.net/drnayman/agorapho.htm

I wish you the best in this and hope you are able to find some help. I know how miserable it can be to suffer such intense and debilitating anxiety. It also began for me in school.

Christiansmommy
09-28-2005, 09:29 PM
You may have social anxiety disorder or GAD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

You can just make an appt. with your primary doctor and he can lean you toward a different doctor, or can treat you witt meds. I know someone with GAD and they take Lexipro for it and within weeks the anxiety went completely away. They were starting to not be able to go to work, or talk infront of groups of people b/c it got so bad...but Zoloft and Lexipro helps.

As far as your speech, I would tell your teacher that you have some anxiety issues that you are going to a doctor for Thursday night and that you would appreciate being excused from that speech until after your appt. The person I was talking about spoke to their boss and they were completely undertstanding...anyway, glad you are seeking help and I am sure you will feel relief after your appt. with the doctor.

Found this online:

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
(GAD)

The essential characteristic of Generalized Anxiety Disorder is excessive uncontrollable worry about everyday things. This constant worry affects daily functioning and can cause physical symptoms. GAD can occur with other anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, or substance abuse. GAD is often difficult to diagnose because it lacks some of the dramatic symptoms, such as unprovoked Panic Attacks, that are seen with other anxiety disorders; for a diagnosis to be made, worry must be present more days than not for at least 6 months.

The focus of GAD worry can shift, usually focusing on issues like job, finances, health of both self and family; but it can also include more mundane issues such as, chores, car repairs and being late for appointments. The intensity, duration and frequency of the worry are disproportionate to the issue and interferes with the sufferer's performance of tasks and ability to concentrate. Physical symptoms include:

* Muscle tension;
* Sweating;
* Nausea;
* Cold, clammy hands;
* Difficulty swallowing;
* Jumpiness
* Gastrointestinal discomfort or diarrhea;

Sufferers tend to be irritable and complain about feeling on edge, are easily tired and have trouble sleeping.

Of course I am no doctor, but this could be something your doctor talks to you about. And if you do suffer from this...you are going to get help and are looking in the right direction. Good Luck.

Karen
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
It immediately made me think of agorophobia, too - a dear friend of mine suffered from it during part of high school, and another co-worker of mine actually quit his job as it turns out because of it. They both got help (eventually, in his case) and are now fine.

K9soul
09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Karen
It immediately made me think of agorophobia, too - a dear friend of mine suffered from it during part of high school, and another co-worker of mine actually quit his job as it turns out because of it. They both got help (eventually, in his case) and are now fine.

Exactly... it is why I originally quit my job. I got to the point I couldn't bear the thought of every single day having to go somewhere and be stuck there until a certain time, with no choice in the matter. I was going in every morning to work and then having severe panic attacks while there, went on short-term disability, tried to go back, and eventually quit. I did get better with help. It is often triggered by generalized anxiety disorder as Robyn posted about.

animal_rescue
09-28-2005, 10:02 PM
As scared/nervous as I am about meeting a therapist. I'm happy that I'm going, I need someone to talk to and I know it will make me feel better just talking about it. My mom claims that I'm talking myself into being nervous, which I'm not, and that I can get over my problems myself. As for the meds I'm not so sure about that, I was on Paxil in the 7th grade and I tried to kill myself, apparently paxil causes suicidal thoughts in like 1 out of every 100 person, guess which one I was.:rolleyes:

Vette
09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
I so know the feeling. i hate being 'put on on the spot' too. i already feel as if people judge me enough as it is,, without having to get up in front of everyone and give a speach..

though i never got sick or feelt trapped in school. i was fine,, unless i had to give a speach...LOL

but i have NEVER liked to talk much.. and really have a problem with talking with strangers.. i can feel my blood presure sky rocket and i feel 'trapped' and my whole body starts shaking.. and it can be over something really simple and stupid and make myself sick over it.

i dont know how im going to get a job and keep it.... :o

NoahsMommy
09-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Hon, it does sound a lot like anxiety. I had a friend in high school who's brother couldn't make it to school most days...it was due to extreem anxiety. He ended up having a therapist come to thier home and they had sessions there.

Therapists WILL understand that and could make a house call.

You may benefit from some anti-anxiety meds. Don't be upset about drugs, its just a chemical imbalance that needs medication. There's nothing wrong with you. Everyone has something health-wise that needs a bit of help.

I'm here if you'd like to talk about it. :)

Hugs,
Kelly

veegan
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
funny you posted this the day I started Zoloft! I agree with the others, definitely sounds like some sort of phobia. I have had social anxiety pretty much as far back as I can remember. school was always really scary for me, esp when I was young, and on the first day. just having to get used to a new schedule, new teachers, new kids. the fear of getting lost. or being judged on how I looked. you are certainly not alone! Ive never had vomiting, but definitely a LOT of sweating, blushing, hot/cold flashes, shaking/trembling, upset stomach, etc.

there are many options out there for help, and many different medications. very glad to hear youve already found help and will be seeing a therapist soon. (wish I hadnt waited this long lol) maybe your mom/dad or therapist can write you a note to skip the speech. I know how petrified I was whenever I had to do things in front of class. :( I remember a specific moment in 4th grade when I had to do an art presentation, and when I got up there I just couldnt talk, and I remember the teacher letting me just go sit down.

anyways.. good luck with everything, it will get better soon. know you are not alone!! *hugs*

Christiansmommy
09-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by animal_rescue
I was on Paxil in the 7th grade and I tried to kill myself, apparently paxil causes suicidal thoughts in like 1 out of every 100 person, guess which one I was.:rolleyes:

I think I have read that anti-depressants can have that effect on adolescents. I am sure there are options out there for you and as long as your current doctor knows about your Paxil situation...they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Sorry you are going thru this, as I have seen first hand how hard anxiety can be on someone...but the Zoloft and the Lexipro made all of the difference in the world for my loved one. The Lexipro didn't cause the weight gain that the Zoloft did, btw.