PDA

View Full Version : Evil has invaded my new home

king2005
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Meet one of the little monsters. His name is Squishme. Him & his little friends were the first to greet us as we moved in last week. At first I thought it was a big firefly sleeping on the wall.

A few days later I saw one on its back squirming like mad, then I saw its face. Its evil little face had Cockroach written all over it!!

http://jess.iahu.ca/albums/album82/cockroach_007.sized.jpg

At first there wasn't many at all. I just kept squishing them. We went for days with no sightings. & now there r lots of the evil buggers.

We already called the super, & hes calling pest control. Its day 3 & no bug guy. he has 10 days to get someone here & if no one shows up, I'm calling the company who owns this place, cause this is gross!!

I didn't travel 500km to live with Cockroaches!

So does anyone know what kind or how to kill them?? Is there a scent they don't like

I'm cleaning like crazy, have put down 12 cockroach bait traps & squish them. The fish also help out. The cockroaches keep falling in the fish tnks & well, my fish r bug eaters :D

I just put a bait trap in with Squishme to see if he'll even go in it. I found Squishme carring a popcorn kernal on the counter right beside 1 of the bait traps.

beeniesmom
09-28-2005, 02:55 PM
bleah........
I just vomited a little. :)

king2005
09-28-2005, 02:56 PM
We feel the same. They r soooo gross!!!!

The house is soo nice too & in a great location. We're thinking of moving in the summer at latest & as early as christmas

Roxyluvsme13
09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Ewww......

ramanth
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I have no advice.

A friend of mine moved into an apartment in Florida, sight unseen (meaning she didn't look at the place before signing the lease).

A few days later she started noticing the roaches. Her place has been fumigated numerous times and it hasn't worked.

I hope you have better luck.

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

EEEWWWWW!! I'm sorry, I have no advice, I've never had that problem (not too common in PA). I would think that the super/landlord would have to take care of that legally. Good luck!

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
ramanth we did the same thing. Signed & moved in.

Mind you we didn't have a choice. It was a last min move & it was the only place we found. Luckly its a month to month rent.

The super. HAS to take care of it within 10 days, otherwise they break the contract & we can move out, without paying.

Anita Cholaine
09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Ewww....... *vomiting* I hate them so much!!

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I was told many years ago when we had a roach infestation in our apartment that if all the apartments in the building are not fumigated at the same time, you will always have a roach problem. When your apartment is bombed, they will hide in another apartment or between apartments until the spray fades away. Eventually, they'll be back.

Oh, and speaking from experience...make sure if/when you move, that you spray everything or you'll take them with you and the problem will continue.

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:21 PM
they r using a paste, not a spray. the paste is harmless to us & pets.

I'm not sure how the paste works tho

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm guessing the roaches eat it and die. Eww. ;)

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:26 PM
not sure. they said dogs & cats cannot get to it, so I wonder if its in the walls & they get stuck to it

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Eww again. :p

I wouldn't think you'd want them stuck there dying and rotting in your walls. It's better if they go into someone elses apartment to die. :D

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:31 PM
hahaha ya :)

All I know is that the people before us were filthy. It looks like they locked up dogs in the basement. Cause when I was mopping down there it looked like poop stains in the floor & then it looks like poop paws on the stairs :eek:

No wonder they don't live here anymore. they must have gotten booted, cause they are very strict here.

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Well I hope you get rid of them. I know all too well how nasty they are. :eek:

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:38 PM
what all do they do, besides creep us out?

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:41 PM
They can spread diseases and I once found one in my daughters ear. :(

king2005
09-28-2005, 04:43 PM
ewww.. was she ok? did it hurt her?

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Nope. i got it out. She was small at the time...probably 5 or 6. I don't know what it was doing in there, but it really freaked me out.

king2005
09-28-2005, 05:00 PM
ick!

I hope the super. gets the bug killer here soon. I'm hating these things more & more.

jenfer
09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I HATE COCKROACHES. MUST KILL THEM ALL!

sammy101
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
yuck,i hate cockroaches.:eek: When i was living in New Orleans,one fell in my hair and i felt dirty for days:eek:

cyber-sibes
09-28-2005, 10:48 PM
About thirty years ago one of my first "bargain" apartments in the city had roaches really bad - we used a powder called "Roach Death" that was immediatly effective, but once their infested, they're hard to get rid of. They are evil. once one perched on the shower stall and was watching me with its beady little eyes......ewwwww! After my husband woke up one morning with one in the hair on his chest, WE MOVED!

Corinna
09-28-2005, 11:40 PM
I once heard it said after a nucluar explostion rats and roaches will still survive. Sorry never lived where they had any.

K9karen
09-29-2005, 12:35 AM
You know what they say, don't you? If the world came
to an end, only cockroaches and ticks would survive. *Shutters* Oh, the memory..here's a fun story (not). My friend in Toronto rented an old house. I was suppose to stay for a week, but the first night (I was in a room on the ground floor) I turned on the light to go and use the bathroom, and in the hallway were (*gag*) hundreds of bugs (waterbugs, cockroaches) creeping through the hallway. I ran back to my room, put a blanket under the door and slept with the lights on. I was so skeeved I checked into a hotel the next day. One bug I can handle, but not in mass quantity. My friend moved out the following week. One of the worst experiences in my life. I felt itchy for days. Ugh

king2005
09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Ewwwww!!

Hundreds! Thats super gross. The most I've seen at 1 time was maybe 10. They run so fast I was only able to catch 1 & kill it.

I see an average of 1 or 2 a day, so its not too too bad.

But we got some good news today. Tom's(robs younger brother) boss in the usa, got the investor he wanted & is gonna pay Tom 74k/year!! That means Tom is going to move to Toronto with us & then we can move to a nicer place.

new mom to a veiled
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Try putting shallows bowls full of beer on the floor at night when you go to bed. They come out more when it is dark and quite. They are attracted to the beer climb in and drown. When I was a kid we moved to a house and it was full of roaches from the prev owners!!!! You could also buy what they called "Roach Motels" they seemd to work also!!!

Just make sure the furkids don't get drunk when you go to bed LOL!!!!!

king2005
09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by new mom to a veiled
Try putting shallows bowls full of beer on the floor at night when you go to bed. They come out more when it is dark and quite. They are attracted to the beer climb in and drown. When I was a kid we moved to a house and it was full of roaches from the prev owners!!!! You could also buy what they called "Roach Motels" they seemd to work also!!!

Just make sure the furkids don't get drunk when you go to bed LOL!!!!!

hmmm. Now we have to buy beer, ick... No fur babies here.

I'll talk to rob about the beer thing. but beer isn't really welcomed in this house, so I'm not sure how it'll go.

lv4dogs
09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
I always heard not to step on them, their eggs are hard to break & you can track them everywhere. I guess they can attatch to your shoe & travel for quite some distance.

It is best to squish them with a paper towel or the like & disposing of all the buggers in one spot (same garbage can, toilet etc...)

king2005
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I always heard not to step on them, their eggs are hard to break & you can track them everywhere. I guess they can attatch to your shoe & travel for quite some distance.

It is best to squish them with a paper towel or the like & disposing of all the buggers in one spot (same garbage can, toilet etc...)

oh, did not know that. I better stop stepping on them.

LKPike
09-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by king2005
Meet one of the little monsters. His name is Squishme.

LOL

king2005
09-29-2005, 12:39 PM
glade someone caught it :)

He's still alive & likes hanging out in the bait trap

king2005
10-03-2005, 02:09 AM
Squishme is very ill. Hes all shrivled up & can hardly move. I guess the baits really work. I also have 3 cockroaches doing a dance on some sticky paper. I made a maze of sticky paper & I 'm hoping to catch lots when I turn on the light (they seem to run really fast when I turn the lights on & they only go on the sticky paper when running)

Almita
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
ughhh you can see the evil little face on that cockaroach eeek so gross!

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
ewww! I hope squishme's name speacked for itself? I am lucky that i have none where i live, hopefully you can get rid of all of them.

IRescue452
10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.ghorganics.com/Cockroaches.html
What are you guys talking about? Roaches have the cutest faces of all the insect world. Try the website I listed above for possible extermination help. You can't track their eggs by stepping on them because the eggs won't survive outside of the case. Lots of roach myths can be found at snopes.com. http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/90/106/21_1_m.html

king2005
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Pet Roaches are different, Pests are gross.

I did a search earlier today & learned that Squishme & his friends are German Cockroach, Blattella germanica. & so far I'm doing all the right things to get rid of them according to the site.

I just wish I didn't kill the albino roach, I would have given him away to a roach collector.

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
before i joined pet talk i didn't even know that people keep roches as pets,

Van10
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
EWWWWW..... :eek: :eek:
Squish 'em all!!! Little buggers! :p