PDA

View Full Version : Nayla bones?

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Ebony is crate trained, she sleeps in her crate at night and she stays in it when we go somewhere. That girl is such an aggressive chewer that I'm afraid to leave a lot of stuff in her crate with her when we are gone. I do leave a stuffed kong when we leave. I know thats not enogh though, I'm sure she gets bored. Do you all think it would be safe to leave her alone with a nayla bone? Do you all have any other suggestions of something safe for her to stay somewhat busy and not bored? Thanks so much in advance for your replies.:)

beeniesmom
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I know it's not safe to leave dogs with any toy but I do it too.
I leave Frankie home alone and he's a chewer and a gulper.
I usually leave him with OVERSIZED toys so he can't swallow anything.
When I do leave him with a bone (porkhide or rawhide) it's usually HUGE.
I don't know what to tell you about EBONY... it just depends on the dog. sorry. :confused:

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Finn destroys Nyla bones, I wouldn't leave one with him. I don't know how destructively Ebony chews, but, Kongs are the only things I leave with Finn.

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
Finn destroys Nyla bones, I wouldn't leave one with him. I don't know how destructively Ebony chews, but, Kongs are the only things I leave with Finn.

Thank you Kari! Ebony is very destructive with her chewing. Its amazing how fast that girl can destory things. I dont think I will leave a nayla bone with her now.

lv4dogs
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
If she's that bad of a chewer they won't last long but greenies are safe to leave too.

How about a buster cube or the like? I don't know if she would chew the ball, but most don't even destructive chewers I know don't actually chew them.

Knotted rope toys?

PJ's Mom
09-28-2005, 01:42 PM
I was gonna suggest Greenies as well. Mine aren't big chewers, but I know Greenies are safe for them should they get the urge. ;)

pnance
09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
I know your not really supposed to but I confess I've left a nylabone in Hunters crate before and never had a problem and he can chew through just about anything. Mind you, this is the giant one for extremely powerful chewers. I did give it to him the first time when I was home to see how it went.

lv4dogs
09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by pnance
I know your not really supposed to but I confess I've left a nylabone in Hunters crate before and never had a problem and he can chew through just about anything. Mind you, this is the giant one for extremely powerful chewers. I did give it to him the first time when I was home to see how it went.

I leave nylabones in Kaiges crate all the time, he's not too fond of them, they are all still in one piece just bite marks on them. lol

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
If she's that bad of a chewer they won't last long but greenies are safe to leave too.

How about a buster cube or the like? I don't know if she would chew the ball, but most don't even destructive chewers I know don't actually chew them.

Knotted rope toys?

I could try a buster cube. We have bought Ebony two knotted rope toys they didnt even last a week. I will have to get her some greenies. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.:)

lv4dogs
09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
We have bought Ebony two knotted rope toys they didnt even last a week.

I don't know if you tried them or if they sell them near you, but up here there are a few petstores that have HUGE rope toys, they look very very durable.

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I don't know if you tried them or if they sell them near you, but up here there are a few petstores that have HUGE rope toys, they look very very durable.

I live in a really small town. About the only place to get pet stuff here is Walmart. They dont have a whole lot to choose from. My husband is working out of town, its much bigger they do have a Pest Smart there I will tell him to stop and check out their rope toys. Thanks so much for your help.:)

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
I could try a buster cube. We have bought Ebony two knotted rope toys they didnt even last a week. I will have to get her some greenies. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.:)

Yeah, Finn kills rope toys, even the big ones. :( The buster cube or something similar could be a good idea. I've never had a problem with either the cube I had for my roomie's husky or with the treat dispensing ball I have for Finn, but, I don't leave those with him, unsupervised, just because I've seen warnings about the dog getting his tongue caught in the hole or not being able to get the toy out of his mouth, espeically if it's just big enough for the dog to hold it in his mouth. Finn can hold them that way, which is why I don't leave him alone with them. Greenies and Kongs could be the way to go with Ebony!

cali
09-28-2005, 03:18 PM
for an agressive chewer I would not, Misty has nylabones in sharp peices within minutes.

cyber-sibes
09-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Mine chew up nyla bones, too, so no more of those. Now I give them those smoked rib bones once in a while and they chew on those for months. My strongest chewer really liked cow hooves, but you can't always find them.. . but sometimes Walmart carries them. If you are in a small town, check the farm supply stores - they often have them. I like natural things because they mostly gnaw on them, they don't bite them into pieces, so they last and last.

bckrazy
09-28-2005, 11:37 PM
hehe... "Pests Mart" :p

I would for sure not leave a rope toy alone with her, I've heard of dogs dying after swallowing pieces of rope, and it sounds like she might be that kind of pup ^.^... my dogs have all been fine with edible Nylabones, we've given them to all of our dogs since I can remember. What I would do, is get a large variety of chews ~ Nylabones, large Rawhide rolls, Bully Stix, big Greenies, etc. Give one to her each day during a time that you can watch her. If she immediately shreds the (edible) Nylabone into sharp pieces, hawk that idea. If she gulps down chunks of Rawhide, that won't work either. Mostly, it just depends on your dog and what you can trust them to deal with.

Maybe you could give her 2 Kongs? heh. Just get two X-large Kongs, stuff them each with different goodies, pack it in REALLY tight, and freeze! 2 should keep her occupied for at least an hour. There are also plenty of other Kongs that could work ~ a dental Kong with peanut butter or dog toothpaste in the grooves, or a 'treat ball' filled with treats so she has to roll it around (like a Buster Cube, without the danger of a tongue/tooth getting stuck!).

Giselle
09-29-2005, 12:19 AM
How about Kevlar? This stuff is indestructible. Like one forum member said, "I'd eat my own foot if your dog could destroy a Kevlar toy".:p

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOUGH-DURABLE-KEVLAR-DOG-TOY-SQUEAKER-Pyramid-Shape_W0QQitemZ7714899703QQcategoryZ20753QQssPageN ameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem