PDA

View Full Version : Dog Carting

USApup1991
09-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Who thinks dog carts are cruel? You know when the dog pulls weights on the wheeled thing...

I think it is very cruel. Can't it hurt them? It strains their muscles very hard...

http://www.swissylover.com/images/tucker/bull.jpg
http://www.apbtconformation.com/neotire2.jpg
http://www.apbtconformation.com/neomilk3.jpg
http://www.apbtconformation.com/weightpull.jpg
http://www.bessie.tv/images/jpg/40mbd8/800x600/DSCN0066.JPG
http://www.lsgsmdc.org/images/lsgsmcdweightpull%2011/lsgsmdcweightpull%2027.jpg
http://www.workingpitbull.com/images/grippull.jpg
http://vintageapbt.com/Images/KlickWP/KlickPullMeS.jpg

THIS IS SO CRUEL

Did you see the picture of the little puppy they were teaching to pull? That poor dog is not old enough for that!

Roxyluvsme13
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Some dogs like to pull things.

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't think it's cruel at all, it's what many breeds are for. If it's done properly, with the safety of the dog being first priority, I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact, I have thought about rigging something for Finn to pull. He's not a typical pulling breed, but, sometimes I think it would do him good, as he used to be quite the puller on his leash. ;) I think it's a great outlet for a lot of dogs. And, it can be a tremendous bonding experience between the dog and his person.

Roxyluvsme13
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by finn's mom
I don't think it's cruel at all, it's what many breeds are for. If it's done properly, with the safety of the dog being first priority, I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact, I have thought about rigging something for Finn to pull. He's not a typical pulling breed, but, sometimes I think it would do him good, as he used to be quite the puller on his leash. ;) I think it's a great outlet for a lot of dogs. And, it can be a tremendous bonding experience between the dog and his person.
Agreed. As long as it is being done safely, it is ok.

lv4dogs
09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Agreed!

ParNone
09-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Far from cruel. Most dogs are happiest when they're getting to do what they were bred to do. I've got Collies, that can be used as draft dogs, and I've often thought about getting a lil' cart for them to pull my very old Cairn Terrier in on walks.

Par...

buttercup132
09-28-2005, 11:14 AM
thats like saying its cruel to make dogs do agility and todo dog sledding and hunting ect. those dogs are bred for it and they like it if they didnt they wouldnt do it they wouldnt .....it would be illegal if it was cruel,belive me its fine

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 11:18 AM

Well said Kari! I go to a pit bull forum sometimes, quite a few people do the pulling with their pits. The dogs like it and the owners would never do anything to hurt their dogs. Its a heck of a lot better than the MORANS that use them to fight!!:mad:

Christiansmommy
09-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ParNone
Far from cruel. Most dogs are happiest when they're getting to do what they were bred to do. I've got Collies, that can be used as draft dogs, and I've often thought about getting a lil' cart for them to pull my very old Cairn Terrier in on walks.

Par...

Totally agree.

Some of those pics were of Swissies (which is what I have)...and I have been to several weight pull competitions (to watch) and the dogs have tons of fun doing what they do best...working. Swissies were considered the poor man's horse back in the day...and were used to pull carts of milk to people. They are a working breed and pulling carts and weight pulls are what they were initially bred to do. I know many Swissie owners and they treat their dogs just like their own kids. The dogs are not allowed to pull until a certain age and weight. Dogs love to please their owners, and there is nothing like watching a weight competition...watching the owner encourage their dog to pull that cart and the satisfaction from the dog when he does!! If the dog is unable to pull the weight, they still move the cart forward at the end of the alloted time to make the dog feel "satisfied" that it didn't fail...and will do better next time. It is loads of fun to watch. You can definately see the bond between the owner and dog as they work together to pull as much weight as they can. The owner verbally encourages the dog along, w/o touching the dog, and the dog works to accomplish it's goal...and lots of tail wagging and hugs happens after the pull is over. Fun to watch for sure.

BTW, the pic of the little Swissie puppy with the cart attached...is not old enough to pull yet, but he is being fitted for it and will carry around an empty cart to get used to it, and when old enough will pull more weight...they are most likely just trying to get the dog used to it...which is also achieved by just walking next to the dog with the cart and then later fitting it to the dog.

pitc9
09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Swissies, Bernese, Malamutes, Huskies... and other dogs were bred for pulling heavy loads. They are the happiest when they are working. That's why they are calling Working Dogs!;)

LKPike
09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I've thought about getting my moms mastiff, Zoe into it. she likes tugging and pulling. nobody else has called us cruel for it.

AllAmericanPUP
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
it is not a cruel sport

now what they are doing with that puppy...is not really cruel per say...but it's not smart....a dog shouldnt start weight pull training until about a year old and at a year they should only pull small weights, they shouldnt do anything too serious until about 18 months when their plates and joints and all that good stuff are set and grown.

if you ever get a chance to go to a weight pull event, do it, you'll see how much dogs really love to pull and please their owners, they live for this stuff

i tried it with Eli at a fun show i went to in march but he didnt understand what to do(it was his first time) so he didnt pull anything...but i'm planning on getting him a weight pull harness and training him, if he likes it then we'll hopefully go to a few fun shows and he'll get to pull
:D if he doesnt like it then i certainly wont make him do it

if the dog doesnt pull then they have you get him going and praise him to boost his confidence.....there are NO losers in weight pull because as long as a doggie gives it his bests, he's still a winner:D now that the dog will take a trophy home or get placed, but it's all about giving it your all

here I am helping Eli cause he wouldnt pull
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/allamericanpup/AADR%20fun%20show/eliweightpull2.jpg

and here is my friends dog, he loves it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/allamericanpup/AADR%20fun%20show/funshow135.jpg

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
now what they are doing with that puppy...is not really cruel per say...but it's not smart....

You're right, but, we can't tell from the photograph if that puppy is actually being asked to pull anything...someone else mentioned this already, he may be just being trained to get accustomed to the feel of a harness. Which is perfectly fine. There's no way to really say what is going on in the photograph.

AllAmericanPUP
09-28-2005, 12:50 PM
You're right, but, we can't tell from the photograph if that puppy is actually being asked to pull anything...someone else mentioned this already, he may be just being trained to get accustomed to the feel of a harness. Which is perfectly fine. There's no way to really say what is going on in the photograph.

the harness is being attached to the harness...that's enough of a clue for me to think he is being asked to pull the cart

the dog certainly doesnt need to be attached to a cart to be trained to the feel of the harness....that is done by attaching something like a mlik jug for some rocks in it and then slowly working your way up to pulling a cart

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
the harness is being attached to the harness...that's enough of a clue for me to think he is being asked to pull the cart

the dog certainly doesnt need to be attached to a cart to be trained to the feel of the harness....that is done by attaching something like a mlik jug for some rocks in it and then slowly working your way up to pulling a cart

My friend put her pup in a harness at a pulling show just to see how he would react. It was attached to a cart with a lot of weight on it, she was just seeing how her pup would do in a harness. It was there, she was there, so, she hooked him to it. She didn't ask her dog to pull anything. That was my first thought when I saw the photograph. But, it seems as though we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Christiansmommy
09-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Well, I have to agree with Finnsmom on this one...and we will probably have to agree to disagree....but at the Swissie/ Bernese events I have been to...they often sell these carts, and the dog sometimes tries the harness/cart on before buying one to take home. I can tell you that the dog in that pic is a Swissie and if it was at a true Swissie event, it WOULD NOT be allowed to pull yet...they are adament on that rule...I believe 18 months is the youngest. I say it is just being fitted and getting a feel for it...that's all :) Swissie breeders are very responsible...protecting the breed and bettering the breed is all they are after...so I really can't see that this dog was being harmed. JMO.

Suki Wingy
09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
not cruel at all if the dog wants to. NiƱo hated it so he never went it the harness again.

animal_rescue
09-28-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't think it's cruel, my friend is teaching her Great Pyrenees how to pull a cart so her kids can ride them in fairs(she knows what she's doing so they won't be hurt). I taught my RB German Shepherd, Hannah, to pull a wagon because we have a wood burner and I had to go in the woods to collect wood and trust me it was not fun! It was so much easier having Hannah pull the cart and she loved it! I would know if she didn't because I tried it on Maggie and she hated it so I didn't do it to her again.

sammy101
09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
i dont think its cruel.Most dogs that i've seen doing it seem to really enjoy it!:)
agreed with finns mom!

Den Anne Pen
09-29-2005, 04:14 AM
I think it's ok if it's done right.

However i do think that in some of the pictures the dog looks like he's pulling too much.

I can't see having a dog pull if there all the way down on the floor to be able to pull it. that i think is alittle much \

But i'm no expert on the subject. It''s just my opion.

Corinna
09-29-2005, 08:06 AM
this discussion seems familar like every time I remind people its getting close to the Iditarod. Some folks don't get that a working dog isn't happy until he's doing his job.

k9krazee
09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
My Aunt used to do carting with her Rottie, she had a little cart and her dog (Tugger) would pull things, nothing heavy but he really loved it! I tried doing it with Shadow when she was much younger and she absolutely hated it!!

ramanth
09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
I've been to Horse Pulls but never a Dog Pull. Sounds fun! :D

cyber-sibes
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Now lets see, what's more unfair....giving a "job" to a working dog bred for pulling, or keeping it couped up all day bored out of it's mind and possibly being destructive out of boredom? Hmmm.....

As Glacier has pointed out, you can't MAKE a dog pull that doesn't want to. And some of those pictures show pulling contests. Most owners are VERY concerned about the health of their dogs and watch constantly for signs of stress. They don't want their dogs getting hurt. These are fun events with people that are crazy about their beloved pets.

cocker_luva
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
i agree that its far from cruel, there are standards and guidelines to follow so no one is hurt.

labrado_retriever123
10-01-2005, 09:56 PM
It is not cruel :rolleyes:

As some people said, most people said, and I agree, it is absouluty FUN for the dogs. Many dogs ENJOY IT VERY MUCH. There are rules to it, where it is probubly one of the rules the dogs have to be a sertain size or breed, and age.