PDA

View Full Version : how can teach my dog to the whistle

imasmartie
03-18-2001, 03:15 PM
i have 14 month old german shorthaired pointer and wont to teach him to the whistle but do not now how to go about it. i have teached him basic obdenice and he ihs getting good but know and when to start introducing the whistle.
if there is any one that can help me please let me know.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by imasmartie (edited March 18, 2001).]

carrie
03-18-2001, 05:36 PM
You can teach simple recall and get your dog to listen to the whistle by using it at feeding time. Guide Dogs use this method with all their dogs. Get the dog to sit and stay before placing the food on the floor ( at first you will have to position yourself between dog and food). Give two short blasts on the whistle to signal the dog to begin eating. When the dog is off lead give the same two short blasts on the whistle before calling his name and encouraging him in. As soon as he gets to you reward with a food tidbit. This builds the association between whistle and something really good. When the recall is going well with the whistle alone begin to food reward in an erractic pattern ( food for two recalls, then none for the next, food for one, none for the next, food for three, none for the next). This reinforces the dogs reaction to the whistle as it is trying harder to get the food reward. All the time use the whistle at feeding time - soon your only problem will be where you put the damn whistle!!!! I loose mine at least three hundred times a year!!!