PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Collector?

Sus
09-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I thought it might be interesting to know if there are others "out there"! :D

I used to collect all kinds of things when I was a kid: Pretty stones, shell, paper napkins, stamps, books about horses, etc. etc. I thought I had outgrown my collector's gene, but...

The other day when I was hosing down an old basket suitcase that I had found in the yard (very dirty, but otherwise intact!) it dawned upon me that I'm actually the happy owner of no less than 19 wicker baskets of all sizes and shapes. There's no doubt about it: I loooove wicker baskets!!! :) :)

So tell me - what do you collect, and does the above qualify me as a "basket case"??? :eek: :D

Lots of love,
Sus and the Bellacat

katienoonan
09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I used to collect pretty stone and stuff. I use to collect beanie babies, when I was young before it was cool ;) I used to have a lot of porcelin dolls but I sold some of them. Now, I'm turning into a clothes collector lol. I have been losing weight so it seems like I have to buy new clothes all the time.

kuhio98
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
shells (sand dollars) and pine cones

gemini9961
09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Nothing really. It all ends up as "junk" in my house. :)

Corinna
09-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I did collect the red rose tea figures but I am getting rid of them . I now collect caroucils and light houses.

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Stuffed Animals and Handbags LOL :D

ParNone
09-27-2005, 11:05 AM
No... I'm too much of a pack rat as it is, without purposefully collecting things. I do try to get at least one statue to represent each of my dogs. I've got 2 perfect Cairn Terrier ones for Murph and Maddie, that my Mom gave me for X-mas. Looks just like each of'em.

She's tried to get ones for Oz and Gull, but has fallen somewhat short. The Oz one is a Sable Rough Collie and the Gull one is a Blue Merle Aussie. She keeps insisting the Gull one is a Collie, no matter how many times I tell her it is indeed an Aussie. ;)

Par...

lizbud
09-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I used to collect pretty stones & unusual looking coins when
I was a child. As an adult (and not on purpose) I seem to be a
collector of shoes. I have tons of shoes. I can't seem to part
with any pair of shoes, no matter how old they are. :o

prechrswife
09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I collect Wade (Red Rose Tea) figurines, also.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I collect DVD boxed sets. I love them! I love having my favorite shows to watch whenever I want. I especially love being able to watch the episodes in order and watching the show evolve from one episode to the next. I also love watching the extras.

I collect ladybugs things too, but that has really slowed down and I'm thinking about getting rid of a lot of my ladybug things.

Barbara
09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think having 6000 books defines you as a collector, it's just what you need to have a choice:D

When I was a child I collected stones and I had the most unusual collection of glass sherds. I had some blue ones that were very rare at the time.

I still collect stones- and I love if I have a piece of metal ore from Upper Calf Creek or a volcano lava from Santorini or La Gomera:) All my windowsills are full of stones. Some agates of Oregon beaches, green sand stone from Soest in Germany- they all remind me of my travels:)

Husky_mom
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
i also collected stones, i even have some of them right now, i have this one i can´t seem to get rid off it´s shaped like an ostrich egg, and also i have like seven pretty round ones that i found in a nest like form of grass, and i picked them up since they were so unusual.

other thing i "collect" is calendars ´cause i never throw them away even if years have passed, mostly calendars about dogs, puppies, huskies, wolves, horses, tigers, wild cats, etc.

and there are also sets of coins, plush animals, beanies, and one of the weirdest "newspapers"!!!! (just because it was about some sort of world cup, olimpics or something) i must say i did recycle those.

right now i don´t have much but still keep the plush, the calendars, and some rocks

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh yes, I have always been and will always be a collector!

My cat figurines
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/collection-cats.jpg

soap animals
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/cat-collection%204.jpg

Part of my cat-mugs
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/collection-mugs.jpg

Cat magnets
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/cat-collection%205%20magnets.jpg

Masks from visited countries
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/masks%202.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/masks%209.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/masks%205.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/masks%207.jpg

Then I also collect the Euro-coins from the different countries which use Euro's!

Edwina's Secretary
09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
The letter S. It is the first initial of both my names. (And my husband's last name....:rolleyes: ) Perhaps it is a Sesame Street thing....:rolleyes:

I have a collection of wine glasses and quilts...but those are useful things.

I was going to say books but I know Barbara would beat me with her collection....;)

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I Love the Soap Animals! How cute!! LOL

mina'smomma
09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
I collect unicorns, teddy bears, dragonflys, and fairies.

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 12:49 PM
ooh!! I bet you have some pretty stuff Mina's Mommy!

Sus
09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Vow! What a lot of interesting things! :) 6000 books - are you kidding??!! :eek: I believe I shall begin to collect a little more... The only problem is: It will have to be small items only! Hm.. How does speciel edition roller pens sound for an idea?? I could store them in my baskets... Hehe! ;)

Love,
Sus and Bella

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Sus
Vow! What a lot of interesting things! :) 6000 books - are you kidding??!! :eek: I believe I shall begin to collect a little more... The only problem is: It will have to be small items only! Hm.. How does speciel edition roller pens sound for an idea?? I could store them in my baskets... Hehe! ;)

Love,
Sus and Bella
LOL

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I collect:
anything with CATS on it
South African Gold Coins
Swarovski Crystal
Tot / Shot Glasses

I also have a collection of Montblanc Limited Edition fountain pens but am busy selling them :(

Almita
09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I collect anything with frogs, eeyore, and cats. I also collect fortune cookie papers! I also write lyrics and i play them with my guitar and I think it is a collection since i have like tons of lyrics and music books of guitar, piano, and violin becuase those are the instruments I play and yea it is fun collecting them!

chocolatepuppy
09-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I have collected teddy bears since I was a child. More recently I started collecting dogs and cats (and keep telling myself I have real ones, I don't need to collect them) I have hundreds of stuffed animals and many knick knacks! While I love all of my *stuff*, I sometimes envy people who don't have a cluttery house. ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Not really, I do collect the occasional Toller thing but thats about it....

Kfamr
09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I really adore dog-related picture frames. I have a lot of them and I have a lot of pictures.

I also like Rottie/Black & Tan markings stuffies, figurines, etc.

Anything dog! :) I don't have an actually collection but things here and there. The frames are what I have the most of.

My mom collects rocks and turtles. We have turtles all over the house!

Sus
09-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Almita
I collect anything with frogs, eeyore, and cats.

Funny!!! I have a "thing" for frogs, too. I don't have any figuerines or anything, but I like them! :)

When I re-read this thread I realized that I do collect more than just wicker baskets...! I just wasn't aware of it! :D I actually have a lot of drawings with cat motifs, and I am about to frame some of them in order to put a small "cat-exhibition" up on the wall...

In case anyone still care to read this thread: What are the tea rose figuerines (if I remember the name correctly?) they seem to be popular? Any pictures anyone? :)

Lots of love,
Sus and Bella

prechrswife
09-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Sus
In case anyone still care to read this thread: What are the tea rose figuerines (if I remember the name correctly?) they seem to be popular? Any pictures anyone? :)

Lots of love,
Sus and Bella

They are miniature figurines made by the Wade company. One place that they are available is as premiums from Red Rose brand tea. I'm headed out of town, so I don't have time to do pictures this morning. If I don't forget, I'll try to make some when I get back.

lvpets2002
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
:) I dont think we ever grow out of being collectors, we just start diff. items to collect.. Yes I collect all animal mimi, med, bone china figurines & Norman Rockwell plates & diff keychains, spoons, thimbles, stamps from all over the world.. Last but least any thing that is a cat.. Hey I have a idea who is interested in figurine swapping?

Laura's Babies
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I collect Jewel Tea, autum leaf dinnerware. It started when I got my Mama's set of bowls when she passed away and I have a display cabinet full of it now. It use to be sold door to door, eons ago. I love the stuff.....

Everyone else seems to think I collect cat figures because they keep giving them to me... I have a good collection of those and no more room for anymore.

just me
09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I collect Tea Pots.
I also collect Bells.
:) just me...

Anita Cholaine
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd love to start collecting something, but I wouldn't know what.... Maybe I'll start getting dachshunds stuff:)

Lillycat
10-01-2005, 09:03 PM
antique glass butter dishes

Flatcoatluver
10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
anything that has elephants and dogs on it , also movies and belts.

Twisterdog
10-01-2005, 11:55 PM
I collect Steiff teddy bears (when I can afford one!), McKee Skokie green dishes, and lots of stuff with suns, moons and stars on it. I also tend to amass rocks, marbles ... and dogs. :)