PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk offline Friday night and Saturday.

Paul
09-27-2005, 07:11 AM
   I am going to upgrade the software that runs these forums to the current version of vBulletin. This is a major upgrade. I will have to close Pet Talk on Friday night, September 30, at 8:00 pm Eastern. I estimate it will take twelve hours to complete the upgrade. During this time you will not be able to reach Pet Talk.

The new software will have new features, however, the main reason why we are doing this is to be able to offer attachments to messages again. Additionally, because the database that is Pet Talk is over five gigabytes in size every maintenance task takes a very long time. It takes our webserver an hour just to save a copy of the database. Once the upgrade is complete we will be able to store attachments in the file system instead of the database so we will have room to grow.

Over the past few weeks, I have tested this upgrade several times using several different strategies. The developer of the vBulletin software suggested to me, as they have done to others, that the best way to speed up this process would be to delete our attachments. I would rather take twelve hours than loose the attachments.

Paul

Logan
09-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the forewarning, Paul! I know there are hundreds of people who would be in a panic if you didn't post this! LOL!!!! :D

moosmom
09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
TWELVE HOURS???????? :eek: :eek: What am I gonna do??? PT Withdrawal is NOT fun!!!! ;) It's like asking me to hold my breath for 12 hours!! *stamps feet, throws self on floor*

Thanks for the heads up Paul!! I'm sure I can manage *sniff* somehow.

trayi52
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the warning, Paul. What will I do for 12 hours?

Willie:)

Randi
09-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for telling us, Paul. I hope everything goes smoothly. :)

Folks, just think about all the cleaning we can do in 12 hours!! ;) All the PT homes will be shining. :D

Eastern time, it that Boston time? That will be GMT minus 5 hours, right?

Here's a link to world time zones: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Freckles
09-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Paul.

One thing that's been on my wish list for awhile is the ability to search only for threads a person started - not for all posts. Here's hoping.:)

And just noticed there's a new forum!

Randi
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Freckles
Thanks, Paul.

One thing that's been on my wish list for awhile is the ability to search only for threads a person started - not for all posts. Here's hoping.:)
Oh yes, that'd be nice! :)

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
What will i do for the weekend?!?!!? i guess i could spoil the furries a little more :D

Sus
09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the warning! Although I promised myself right from the start that I wouldn't become totally "hooked" on PT - I guess I would have become nervous, if suddenly I couldn't make it work! :eek:

Regards,
Sus

beeniesmom
09-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Thank you for letting us know.
Now what am I supposed to do! ;)
I guess I'll be taking lots of pics.

ramanth
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Seeing as on average, I don't have computer access from Friday 5 p.m. to Monday 9 a.m., I think I'll be okay. ;)

gini
09-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Did anyone notice that this will take 12 hours OF PAUL'S TIME????

And Randi - you suggest that we all clean house while Pet Talk is down? You have got to be kidding!:D :D

Corinna
09-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Thank you Paul for your time and expense for this I for one use attachments becouse I just can't seem to figure out the other way. So I appresate this feature. Thank you.
Also thanks for the heads up.( Ummm may be I'll get some sewing done friday.)

momoffuzzyfaces
09-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Thanks for the forewarning, Paul! I know there are hundreds of people who would be in a panic if you didn't post this! LOL!!!! :D Yep, and I would be one of them. I still may be. I have a poor memory! I'll make myself a note .... now if I just don't lose it!!! :D

Randi
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Moff, you can always make it your pause screen - you know the text rolling across the screen. :D

Gini, of course we could also go and bake a pile of cookies. :D

momoffuzzyfaces
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Moff, you can always make it your pause screen - you know the text rolling across the screen. :D

Gini, of course we could also go and bake a pile of cookies. :D Thanks Randi! I never would have thought of that.

OOOHHH! Cookies???? What kind? Do you need a taste tester???
I volunteer if you do!!!:D

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I volunteer, too!!!!!! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for warnin g us, Paul! I appreciate it so much what you will be doing for us!! THANKS !!!.
Cookies? :D :p . Oh Randi, do you need a cookie-tester :p :p

That will be from 1 AM till 1 PM then for me. OMG, my saturday morning will be sooooo dull.... ; maybe the perfect moment for preparing a special lunch :p :D

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the warning! I'm glad I picked this weekend to move :D

What else would I do without PT?!?

Thanks Paul for taking the time to make PT even better!

Paul
09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
   Randi right now Boston is only four hours behind GMT.

The new software will be able to search for threads started by a user.

Paul

ramanth
09-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Paul

Paul
WOOOHOO!! :D

jenluckenbach
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
   Randi right now Boston is only four hours behind GMT.

Paul
EXCELLENT! I too had hoped for this ability.

Now, what to do during that 12 hour time period??? :confused:

OK 1) go to bed extra early Friday night.

and 2) go to work extra early Saturday morning.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this place. :D

slick
09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Gee...does this mean I will have to do housecleaning??? :rolleyes: :p

Paul, thanks for all you do on this site. I'm sure we can cope for a mere 12 hours.

Originally posted by gini
And Randi - you suggest that we all clean house while Pet Talk is down? You have got to be kidding!:D :D
What are you worried about.....all you have to do is push a button..... :D :p

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for forewarning us Paul!:)

k9krazee
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Paul!!!!

popcornbird
09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Awww...I'm going to miss PT while its offline. I guess I should just go to bed early on Friday, and wake up late! :D Thanks for letting us know ahead of time!

I was wondering......................................... ..

Any chance we'll be getting new smilies too? :D

Suki Wingy
09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
oh god, my computer time has been so restricted and my site has taken so much time that I didn't see this thread or town hall the whole time! Better hold my tounge towards the nasty lad aid from now on.:o

Cinder & Smoke
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM

I am going to upgrade the software that runs these forums
to the current version of vBulletin.
This is a major upgrade...

The new software will have new features ...

Paul

:eek:

"NEW" Software ...

I Hope the vBulletin Folks did their *de-bugging* better than
the Microsoft Gang does theirs!

Please tell us the overall "Fit & Finish" of Pet Talk won't
be changing ...
THIS has got to be one of the BEST Designed Forum platforms
on the WWW!!

And yes ... THANKS to Paul & Karen
for ALL the Hard Work they put into "our" site ...
It must be a Labor of Love ~
And *IS* APPRECIATED!! :)

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

chocolatepuppy
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the warning! At least I'll be sleeping part of the 12 hours! ;)

Flatcoatluver
09-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Thanks, Paul.

And just noticed there's a new forum!
oh i know i wanted to find a post i posted in cat helth and had a problem finding it :(

AmberLee
09-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Whew. Thanks for the head's up and also for all the work you're doing for us to 'play' with, Paul.

{{{hugs}}} and >^._.^< headbumpies from our house to yours.

(Miss Hoppy is exempt from the headbumpies, if she so wishes...)

Karen
09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Miss Hoppy will accept noserubs in place of head bumpies, thank you. (one finger, two at the most, start at nose, stroke up toward ears, repeat!)

dukedogsmom
09-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for letting us know. We'll be in withdrawal for a while but at least we know what's going on.

davidpizzica
09-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Thank you, Paul for the warning and for the improvements coming our way. (SIGH) I HOPE I can get through 12 hours without PT!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Thanks for letting us know in advance.:) I guess I'll be watching a movie or something else on t.v. on Friday night and I usually don't get on until late morning or afternoon on Saturday any way.:) Thanks for all of your hard work and for improving PT for us.:D

lvpets2002
09-28-2005, 07:30 AM
:) I am so glad to hear that it was not me & my comp. due to been trying to get on all weekend.. Yah we back on now - thought I was to have withdrawals..

Karen
09-28-2005, 08:14 AM
It hasn't happened yet - it is THIS Friday, September 30th into October 1st, that it will be happening. (Just to clarify.)

luvofallhorses
09-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Paul! :)

furrykidsmother
09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Thank you for the warning and for all the trouble you will be going through for all of us!

lvpets2002
09-28-2005, 02:26 PM
:) Thank you Karen I just read over Paul's noted & to say it was this weekend.. Well all of the Internet has been acting funny this past weekend.. I guess with Rita & Katrina having so many lines down.. So I will try not to go thru two weekends of withdrawles now..

lvpets2002
09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
bump

sandragonfly
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
posted by paul The new software will be able to search for threads started by a user.

woo hoo. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/mystichild/pinkgrin.gif I'm glad this will happen - I'm like on 78th page from beginning of my posts in user cp, combing through for threads I made..I couldn't remember what threads I made almost three years ago! I was also hoping for a new system of.. notifying me of a new thread made by my important users! so I wouldn't miss what's happening in their life..

so here's complex hope.. :p http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/mystichild/pinkgrin.gif & popcorn's idea.. how about fuzzy smiles?!

well, 12 hours.. not too bad, come back pet talk very soon! super luck & grand paul. :)

Roxyluvsme13
09-29-2005, 07:44 PM
so exactlt what time is PT going to be offline?

lvpets2002
09-30-2005, 07:45 AM
"bump"

Randi
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Don't panic, I've set up a chatroom for everyone to use while PT is down:

PT withdrawal Support Group (http://www.icq.com/groups/group_details.php?gid=12036957) :D

I think you just need to click Add me! Everyone is welcome! :)

slick
09-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Randi
Don't panic, I've set up a chatroom for everyone to use while PT is down: PT withdrawal Support Group (http://www.icq.com/groups/group_details.php?gid=12036957) :D
Or:
Just click on Add me!PT withdrawal Support Group (http://www.icq.com/groups/chat.php?gid=12036957)
I'll be there!!! :)

Randi
09-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Slick, will you please let me know which link works?? ;)

slick
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
They both take me to the same spot...and I'm logged on the old way before I had an icq number.

There are several of us on now so come people and join in.

lvpets2002
09-30-2005, 09:57 AM
:D Way to go Randi & you saved us.. By the way Slick & I are already talking & where are you ??

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by slick
I'll be there!!! :)

Me too, I just joined!!!:)

sandragonfly
09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
we, californians have exact eight hours left!!

ah, randi - nice idea but my pager wouldn't accept any javacripts! chatrooms always have that, right?

well, I'll live.. we all sometimes need an addiction shut-down! :) I'll sleep, sleep and sleeeeep.

slick
09-30-2005, 04:46 PM
OMD....there's only a little over 2 hours left then the line gets cut. Now I'm really starting to get the shakes. Randi, thank goodness you started that chat line. I'll log on when things settle down at here at work.

For the rest of you...you are not alone. Together, we can make it through this tough time. ;)

Randi
09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Only about an hour left!! :eek: Everyone will get SO much done this friday - you can relax ALL next week! :D

I'll be going to bed within the next half hour, so I won't miss anything until tomorrow.

Here's the link again to the chatroom: PT withdrawal Support Group (http://www.icq.com/groups/group_details.php?gid=12036957)

Karen and Paul, good luck and thanks for your hard work! :) :)

lvpets2002
09-30-2005, 05:03 PM
:) Paul & Karen good luck & see you when we are back on.. Randi, Lut, Jen & of course I will be in the support group for now.. All is invited to join us in the support group..
Ok by now & thanks again Paul & Karen we do adore all the hard work you do for us..

Karen
09-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Remember to bookmark the ICQ folks, you won;t be able to see this page to find it!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Karen & Paul - thank you so much for introducing me to such wonderful friends. Chat to you all again soon

slick
09-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Remember to bookmark the ICQ folks, you won;t be able to see this page to find it!
Duh!!!! I never thought about that. Just emailed the link to my home. :o :o :o

gini
09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Just remember - absence makes the heart stronger!!!!:)

LeahMM
09-30-2005, 06:00 PM
One hour to go. See you all tomorrow.

Cinder & Smoke
09-30-2005, 06:13 PM
GOOD LUCK to Paul & Karen for a "smoothe" Conversion & UppyGrade!! ;)

See y'all after the Husky Hike!

:D

Daisy and Delilah
09-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Bye everyone. I'm already starting to hyperventilate:eek: :eek: :eek:

Karen
09-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Breathe into a paper bag, sweetie, still a few minutes to go.

You all can do this, I know you can. Be strong, rub a tummy, take someone (even yourself) for a walk, and have a good sleep tonight.

There's always the suggested baking of cookies, cleaning of one's room ...

slick
09-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Karen,
Does this mean that you and Paul is be staying up all night just to get this done??? :eek:

Karen
09-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Paul will be doing all the work, I will be trying to be supportive (a.k.a. not bugging him too much)!

dukedogsmom
09-30-2005, 06:42 PM
It's almost time! Good luck Paul and Karen. Thanks for your hard work.

chocolatepuppy
09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Breathe into a paper bag, sweetie, still a few minutes to go.

You all can do this, I know you can. Be strong, rub a tummy, take someone (even yourself) for a walk, and have a good sleep tonight.

There's always the suggested baking of cookies, cleaning of one's room ...

Bake? Clean? :confused: Luckily there is a Boyds Bear show on QVC tonight! ;) Good luck everyone! :D

sandragonfly
09-30-2005, 06:50 PM
:eek: all of these talkings are making me nervous! we'll be okay..I'll be okay.. :o

karen, will we lose all of our notification? because this is going to shut down.. when it comes back, you'll reply in this and those who posted in here (subscbers) will know pet talk is back! hmm, who knows paul finishes early?

slick
09-30-2005, 06:54 PM
See you all tomorrow. I'm logging off now.

I will be OK.
I will be OK.
I will be OK.
I will be OK.
I will be OK.

davidpizzica
09-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Good luck, Karen & Paul! My hands are shaking a bit. See you after 12 hours!

dukedogsmom
09-30-2005, 07:08 PM
It's going to be a really long night for me because I'm stuck at work in front of a computer all night! It'll come back up about the time I'm supposed to go to bed. ugh

Rachel
10-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Wow, there are a lot of changes.

So many options. Maybe I'll be able to figure this out a little bit at a time, although I'm thinking it may be a challenge. Anyway, it looks like someone works pretty fast! :cool: