PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!! horrible thunder!

caseysmom
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Okay here in sunny california we hardly ever get this much thunder and lightening....it is freaky. The sky was a yellow haze, now the whole house shakes every few minutes with thunder, there is lightening coming in the windows.

Casey is panting and running through the house....what should I do for her, I keep reassuring her, but am I suppose to do that? I can't really get her away from it, its REALLY loud...luckily we haven't lost power.

Flatcoatluver
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
just don't make a big deal out of it sit her right by your feet and just pet her nicely if you make a big deal it is a big deal hopefully i helped a little.

dukedogsmom
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Don't reassure her like that. From what I've learned, it just encourages the behavior. Maybe you could get out a favorite toy and play or give her a bone to chew on? Basically, just act like normal.

Glacier
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Does she have a crate? Pingo likes to be confined during storms. She's terrified too. I fill her a kong with peanut butter and put her in her spot(she likes under the couch, but a crate is better!)

Try to stay calm yourself. Casey will respond to your behavior. Act as normal as possible.

If you have any rescue remedy, give her a dropper full. It won't take full effect since she's already worked up, but it will help.

Good luck.

caseysmom
09-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Her crate is just for the car, she has never used it in the house. My husband just got home and he is giving her table scraps, hopefully she won't throw up but it is taking her mind off of the thunder.

I have never even heard of rescue remedy....she gets sick really easy so I don't give her much, it is a tranquilizer??

K9karen
09-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Same with Logan. She'll pace and pant or stand perfectly still, like in a trance, looking at the ceiling. Same thing with firecrackers. I don't coddle her or try to hug her at all. I try to distract her with a toy or rawhide bone. Depending how bad the storm is, she found her own safe haven at the bottom of the family room steps against a wall. If you pet Casey or try to console her, she will interpret that as "it's OK to shake and be scared". It breaks my heart, but I just let Logan deal with it on her own and she's always been fine afterwards.

caseysmom
09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
She has a corner of the couch she likes and she puts her face in the pillows, I saw her doing that and my husband was holding her, I hated to tell him not to do that but I explained it.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom

I have never even heard of rescue remedy....she gets sick really easy so I don't give her much, it is a tranquilizer??

Tango has to take rescue remedy during storms, it's not a tranquilizer. It's all natural and just helps to calm them down a bit, it's used for animals (and some people) with anxiety and stress issues around certain things. I do have to say though, please don't reassure her, I know it's hard but it's for the best. It usually only makes things worse if you reassure a dog when it comes to these things, try to make it a positive experience though. Does she have a favourite toy? If so, try playing with her and if that doesn't work you could try filling a kong with a few treats. That's what I do with Tango, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Poor girl, I hope something will work...:(

caseysmom
09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
The storm seems to have passed, now I have to try to get her to eat her dinner. Thanks everyone.

bckrazy
09-27-2005, 12:02 AM
>.< erg, that WAS horrible thunder! I heard it was worst in Rancho... I hope Casey and Bubba are feeling better now!! Gonzo just followed me around all night and insisted on laying right on top of my feet, but he isn't too bothered by it. Next time, before the storm, maybe try crating her and/or giving her a really good stuffed Kong? I've heard that reassuring doesn't help too, but it's really hard not to :p I hope you guys are all ok!

Vette
09-27-2005, 04:30 AM
And a kind word of warning.. dont use your computer in a thunder storm.. my uncle lost two of his computers that way.. and now hes wise and always turns off his computer,, and unplugs it during storms.

also my online friend lost a computer that way as well. and she wasnt even useing at the time(it was turned off but not unpluged)

and just over all safty reasons,, ya shouldnt use a computer in a storm.

:eek:
sorry.
i just realized.. i sound like my mom...LOL

buttercup132
09-27-2005, 05:43 AM
i use my computer all the time in storms never had anythin ever happen....anywho for next time you might want to lock her in the bathroom turn the lights off and take away anything she can bump into thats what i do with my dog...thats wat i have to do she tries to get into closets,under beds, under tables and everything and shes big and fat so it dosent work and she wont eat anyhing during a storm or play so theres nothing i can do to make her take her mind off the storm , but you pobly wot have one for a looong time

caseysmom
09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Well a house less than a mile from ours caught on fire, the family was out to dinner and the lightening hit the satellite dish and caught the house on fire. Luckily the neighbors called it in and there wasn't too much damage.

Kfamr
09-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Poor Casey. :( There's times where Nala makes herself sick during thunderstorms. She gets so nervous and paces around. It's very hard not to baby her and coddle her but I know I can't. It just makes her feel "okay" about her bad feelings. With Nala, I usually turn some soft music on or the television on bit louder than usually and get out some of her favorite toys. I don't know how playful Casey is but Nala is ALWAYS willing to play if you get a good toy out. :)

That's very scary about the fire, especially since it's so close to your home. Thankfully everyone is safe, though. :)

caseysmom
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks Kay, Casey doesn't play much, I don't know what kind of background she came from, she was 3 and a half when I adopted her from a very high kill shelter, her owner dumped her for not getting along with their little dog....bubba and her are best buds...

Anyway I think she was abused pretty bad so she is already really skittish in normal situations.

Today we are back to normal california whether...go figure....

Jessika
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
REASSURING HER ENFORCES THE BEHAVIOR AND SHOWS HER THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE AFRAID OF.

Ignore her. Don't give her attention for acting the way she does. Perhaps put her into a room in the back of the house with the television or radio on loudly?? I KNOW its hard to not want to coddle and tell them they're ok, but dogs feed off human emotion -- if you coddle her you're just telling her there IS something to be afraid of. If you act like it does not bother you and it doesn't scare you, eventually she'll get it that its not something to be afraid of.

ginagt
09-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Next time there is a storm, try playing some music to help disguise the thunder. If that doesn't work and she is still worried then use postive assoication. Everytime you hear thunder, shower her with treats, try to do it so she doesn't see they are coming from you. I like to use cheerios that way you can give a lot of treats and you don't have to worry about any weight gain. Basically you want her to think, thunder equals treats. She hears thunder and treats fall from the sky. She most likely will not mind thunder if you are consistant with the treats and thunder.
Good luck.