PDA

View Full Version : If you had a dog as a child, did you choose the same breed as an adult?

tricollie4me
09-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Just wondering how your childhood experiences/expectations have affected your choices for pets as an adult. For example, when I was a girl, we had a tri collie that I helped train with my dad, and it was a hugely rewarding, bonding experience for all three of us. We also had a sable collie and a golden retriever that my parents didn't end up keeping -- they didn't have the time to train the dogs and rehomed them instead to family members that lived on a large acreage.

In any case, when my husband and I went looking to adopt our first dog for our family (we have five kids), we wanted a dog that would be a great match for a family like ours -- we ended up with a tri collie much like the one I had growing up. It hadn't necessarily been our intention to find the same dog, but circumstances brought us to Bijou and we feel so fortunate to have her!

Has anyone else discovered a connection between the breeds you knew or raised as a child, and the kinds of dogs you have now?

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-26-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm not an adult yet, but I do see myself having some of the same breeds when I'm an adult as I have had growing up/now.

k9krazee
09-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Well I can't really speak for myself because I still have those childhood dogs...but I can speak for my mom and her family...

My Mom had mainly Great Danes and a variety of mutts growing up...well when she got married the first time they did have a Great dane but after she met my dad she was converted to Labs because that is what he always had and loved. After my dad's Black Lab died he always wanted another but then I came along. I think I have been a huge descision maker in the breeds we currently have, my mom never dreamed of getting a Rottie but my Aunt gave her to us and she stayed...then came a point when I really wanted a dog and I decided on a JRT, my parents had never heard of them before and now my mom says she never wants to be without one. The only reason that I was allowed to get Jack is because he is part Lab and my dad really liked the idea of having a Lab again. My mom has said that once we all move out she will get a Great Dane again...not sure about my dad.

I don't really know what breed I will choose down the road, I really like the attitude and mind set of the Jack Russells, the goofiness of the Rottweiler and the loyalty of the Lab but I doubt I will have any of these later on, most likely I will a variety of rescues, I would love to have my own herding dog rescue or pit rescue...

luvofallhorses
09-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Yes, I would. I don't think I can live without a hound now...Buster has brought so much joy into my life and my parents life. He is sure one of a kind. ;) I am no child but I do live with my parents right now until I get a job and get a place of my own. We did have a basset/beagle mix named Buddy and he was so sweet and every time I see a basset hound, my heart melts. I am not sure if I'd have one in the future, because I don't want to replace Buddy.

Right now we have a black lab, a rottie/yellow lab mix, a rat terrier/chihuahua mix, and a hound mix....I just wouldn't have a dog like Ginger, it's not because I don't love her, I do love her with all my heart, but I am more of a big dog person and not all for the yippy yappy types. I do love terriers, though. :) Oh boy, do I!! :D I plan on having a purebred rottweiler(from a shelter/resuce of course), a pit bull(either a mix or purebred), etc.

I don't think any dogs are ugly, but I do know what kind of dogs that don't fit my life style.

EDIT: Rocky and Jenny are from my childhood and I'd love to have their breed again, but I am living in the moment and love them to death!! :D

gemini9961
09-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I didn't really have a dog as a child. My dad had a GSD when I was little, poor guy had to be PTS for health reasons. I still remember my Dad coming back home that day crying because of it. :( We also had a poodle mix of some sort that my Dad rescued from the street, but she ran away (we think she was pretty old and she went away to die). After that, we had cats so we never got a dog because of the cats. I still really like the GSD breed though. So I can say that my childhood dogs (or lack thereof) really haven't influenced me as an adult. I had Sadie though 2 months after I moved out of my parents house. I could not wait to get a dog of my own. :) 3 dogs later, I'm very happy. :D

JenBKR
09-26-2005, 02:44 PM
In a sense...I had a wonderful mutt growing up and I have a wonderful mutt now! Lady (the dog we had when I was growing up) was a yellow lab/golden retriever mix though, and Roscoe is a german shepherd mixed with something. I figure, close enough! I do love goldens and labs, but when my hubby and I saw Roscoe it was love at first sight :D

ParNone
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I've had kind of the opposite result of childhood dogs. It's led me to what I wouldn't choose in a breed.

When I moved out and decided to get a dog on my own, I had several criteria that I felt were imperative, mainly due to the Lhasa Apos we had. Not from a pet shop, easy to groom, easy to housebreak, friendly, friendly, friendly and an easier to mold temperament. Those criteria led me first to Cairns and later to Smooth Collies.

Par...

ramanth
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
My parents had Irish Setters when I was a child. Our last family dog, Rusty, passed away when I was 8.

My mom grew up with English Springer Spaniels. My grandparents had everything from dashunds, to springers, to dobermans.

While growing up, our first neighbors had golden retrievers that we would play with (because their kids would not - the puppy novelty had worn out and so the dogs lived in outdoor kennels :mad: ). The pair were actually dog-napped (I witnessed it) when they were running free again. Some guy pulled up in a pickup, whistled, the dogs came running, jumped in, and the guy drove off. I had hoped then that they went to a home that loved them.

The second set of neighbors had two malamutes. We helped walk, play, and bathe them. I think that's when my love of big dogs and the husky/malamute breed set in.

For some reason, I'm a medium to big dog person. Small dogs are cute, but I personally wouldn't want to own one.

cali
09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
well I will be technally an adult next month lol and I assume I will still have the same dogs I have now...but seriously I think I will always have border collies, since having BCs any dog that is not a border collie is "just a dog" to me.

cyber-sibes
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
My dad had a cocker spaniel and when I was a kid we got a cocker mix. I never felt close to him, though, he was my brother's dog. I wanted a cat. And a kid I went to school with had a beautiful husky, I always remembered that gorgeous dog. (the kid was a real creep! I think is dad bought it for him so he could show it off and maybe make a few friends...)
When we decided to get a dog, I thought about that beautiful husky again, and voila- Our Star was born! Brought her home at 5 weeks and have been sibe-smitten ever sice!

beeniesmom
09-26-2005, 03:19 PM
No, I had a Chiuaua and a Pekignese named Monday as a child.
I also had a great Dane named Bear.
My folks got rid of the Chi because it bit me. I was under 1 yrs old. I have no recollection of it.
The Peke died of old age. He was a fun dog.
The great Dane, my dad gave away to a collegue because our yard wasn't big enough. :( He was super sweet.
Oops I forgot my poodles.... Dee Dee my dad found and brought home when I was 12. Shelly was Deedee's puppy and she is still alive and lives with my mom. She is 14 going on 15.
I am so exited. I will get to see her in ecember.
Now I have 2 bostons.

chocolatepuppy
09-26-2005, 03:36 PM
When I grew up my dad had hunting dogs, a setter of some kind and a beagle. When I turned seven, we got a poodle. I still have a weak spot for poodles and one day may have one. Right now I like my big doggies! My Dad said to me after Lacey and Mandy were just past puppyhood, "why can't you get a poodle?" He's tired of my big dogs! :p My RB Corey was a shepherd/collie and was nearly 100 pounds. I've also had a couple other shepherd/collie mixes and a shaggy dog that looked like a cock-a-poo since I've left home. :)

DogLover9501
09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
I've had kind of the opposite result of childhood dogs. It's led me to what I wouldn't choose in a breed.

Ditto :)

I grew up with a Pomeranian named Muffin, and I don't think I will ever own one. I, too, am more of a big dog person and would have all big dogs, but my parents like small dogs.

My parents also had a GSD, but I barely remember him. He was put to sleep(due to his hips) when I was only 3-4, but I still hear about him so I know he was really something :)

prechrswife
09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
We did not, but it is not because the breeds we had growing up were not great dogs. Growing up, I had mostly Australian cattle dogs, but I also had a miniature poodle, a beagle, and mixed breeds. My husband mostly had beagles, but also had labs. When we started researching what dog breeds were best for our lifestyle and environment, we eliminated ACDs and beagles because of the level of activity that they require. Bassets were a much better choice for us at this point in our lives.

Husky_mom
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
actually i´ve never doubted, huskies to me!!!

my dad had a weimaraner as a kid, and my mom had a German Shepherd, and a maltese mix, so when i asked for a dog they thought i´ll end up with a small breed maybe a cocker or a poodle but what happened i came with a HUSKY hahahaha!!

ever since i mostly have had huskies, i also had a Belgian Sheepdog, a couple of Cockers, a Malamute, a Rottie and some Poodles, just fostering, but my true love are Huskies.

I might add that i would also have some of these breeds: Bull Terrier, Pit bull, Borzoi, Dane, Std. Poodle, Pomeranian, Doberman, Aussie, Chihuahua and many others but i think 17 years later i´m still with huskies i´ll stick to the huskies, and why not? i just LOVE THEM ALL!!!!

HUSKIES RULE!!!!

animal_rescue
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I grew up with 2 German Shepherds, 1 pit bull, 2 german shepherd x lab mixes, 1 miniature pinscher, 1 miniature pinscher x daschund mix, and a cocker spaniel. I would defenitly love to have another cocker spaniel, miniature pinscher, and a pit bull. But I don't think I want a lab or a German Shepherd or a Daschund when I'm older. I loved my dogs growing up but I just don't want the breed when I'm older. I really want a Caucasian Ovcharka as my first dog on my own so who knows.

Jessika
09-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Well to be quite honest, I'd never heard of an Aussie before until I worked at PetCo!! As a kid my family had only owned one dog, and she was a mutt (german shepherd X golden lab or golden retriever, not sure). And all my friends and family members who had dogs all had mutts as well or Golden Retrivevers or German Shepherds. So all my childhood I was exposed to pretty much only those two breeds or those two breed mixes.

Now don't get me wrong I don't have anything against those breeds but they're so popular and yeah I know Aussies are far from being unpopular as well, but not everyone on my block has an Aussie or Aussie mix, that's for sure.

The first thing about the Aussie that struck my eye was the Blue Merle. Its just the most beautiful dog I think I've ever seen at the time! Until I did more research and discovered the other coat colors and variations and it was just... lovvveee.

Not to mention all the Aussies and Aussie mixes I got to meet while at PetCo and they were just the most personable breed I'd ever dealt with! So of course I HAD to have one (or two.. :D)

BitsyNaceyDog
09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I grew up with with a yorkie and although I loved him very much I don't see myself ever having another yorkie. My grandma who lived across the road had a black lab and that is a breed I can see myself having one day.

Justin grew up with a cocker mix and when he lived with his aunt they had a pit bull. Justin and I would love to have a pit bull someday, but I don't think a cocker is a breed that fits us.

I love both small, medium and large dogs. I hope to have a large dog someday, but I think small dogs are in general more my type of dog.

LKPike
09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
yep :p

sammy101
09-26-2005, 05:08 PM
I grew up with a Beagle,and Dalmatian.I would definently get both breeds again.Mabye a Beagle when i'm older,because their smaller.I love Dalmatians,but the one i grew up with was very aggressive with other dogs and i'm worried about getting another one.She was very friendly to people and kids though,i loved her!:) I'm only 15 though,and i would get mutts again too!
I love the large/xlarge/giant breeds.

Flatcoatluver
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I ma not a adult yet but i will devenly get englih setters and flat-coated retrievers in the future

Glacier
09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Nope. I had german shepherds, an irish setter mix and few other mutts. My mom had a miniature wire haired terrier. We lived in the country and had lots of animals dumped on our land. Those usually became our pets. I still miss that setter mix. Lady was my best friend for 14 years. Dumb as a sack of rocks, but a fantasitic companion. My teen years would have been ugly if Lady had been there to listen to all the stuff I couldn't tell anyone else!

I'd never even seen a husky in real life when I met Stuart. He already had Muskwa. I gave myself a crash course in sibes in a hurry. They were a package deal!

Chica
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I didn't choose the same breed as an adult. When I was growing up, my parents always had german shepards. Our first one Sheba weighed 85 lbs. She was gorgeous. She had one litter of 8 pups. All of them were healthy and gorgeous. Sheba lived to be 12 years old, and died peacefully in her sleep. We always had german shepards after her. Great pets!!!! But now I have chosen to have a Chihuahua "Chica" to be my very own first pet!!!
I am so happy with her.:D ;)

Cincy'sMom
09-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes and no. Sincemy parents have been married, they have only had mutts, and thatis what I have now. My mises have been different choices thought. They had a weimie/beagle mix and a terrier mix when I born, until I was 2. We didn't have another dog until I was 14, and she (Oreo) was a beagle/poodle. Now I have lab/dals and a lab/?beagle?

abbersmom
09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
well...as a kid I had a cocker mix
Since i've been married, we have had a cocker/terrier
and now we have a cocker/poodle/schnauzer/pug

IRescue452
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
For the most part we looked for another cocker, partly because my stepdad said the pup couldn't grow any bigger than our current cocker, partly because Pepper is such a great dog. I had even picked out an older male cocker to rescue, but we ended up getting Autumn instead because we didn't think this older cocker would fit in with the other animals. I will probably have more cockers in the future though.

wolfie
09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
We got our first two dogs when I was 13... and we still have them, so... yeah.

Bigyummydog
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
I learned later in life, that my dad was actually afraid of dogs.
As far as I can remember, we always had, what he called "coon dogs". Anytime we went to their "area"(in the fenced space),
they would jump and knock my little self down. All they wanted
was some attention. I know that now. I really had no idea, when I was so young, that that's all dogs were about. All any
of them wanted was love and just the littlest amount of attention.
And now, my dad sees the dog I have now.........He just doesn't
understand how I could possibly have the dog I have(MAXIMUS),
and to actually think that he is the love of my life. God forbid, he is in my house and sleeps with me. Your parents don't always
pass on their beliefs to you. I never thought I wwithould love a dog,
or any animal, the way I love MAXIMUS. I actually think, that I
was deprived of doggie love as I grew up. Even Mommy let MAXIMUS, at six weeks old walk on her chest. She was in so
much pain when she died. But, she wanted to let MY dog love
her anyway. She wasn't even a "dog" person. I guess he was
just mine, and she wanted to have him.

But, to answer your question......I really had no ideas of any dogs.
Or that they were such lovey creatures. I would and do love any dog that I come in contact with or even see pictures of. Just knowing Pt dogs has changed and justified my life. Really didn't mean to share so much.........but that's what I have to say about dogs in general. I can't say anything about loving dogs as I grew up. They were caged animals. But, you know, I always knew
there was something about them. And I always wanted one.

Vette
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
When i was 5 or something years old,, headed for the bus to come home from school.. but seen my mom and dad flagin' me down from the car. got in the back seat.. and this black fuzzy thing scared the crap out of me when it jumped in my lap. :o once i seen it was a puppy,, it wasnt scary anymore..LOL it was a jet black male Toy Poodle puppy. about 12 or so weeks old. very cute plump fuzball. and i began to think of names on the way home for him. i came up with the perfect name. Travis! but i coudlnt say it right. it came out as "Tasha" and it stuck from there. LOL :o
i had him up unitll i was 9 years old,, and he got hit by a car and died. :( i miss him so much.... i still blame myself for his death to this day..

and i got Kirby when i was 18 or so. close enough to be an adult? so guess my childhood dog helped me make my desion on getting another Poodle. but i love LOTS of breeds out there.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
My mother grew up with Collies, which is the main reason we decided to get Molly. I had wanted a Golden instead, but the only breed my mom would agree to at the time was a Collie.

My grandma had a Golden Retriever named Maddy a few years ago when I was just a little kid, which is where my love for the breed started. So, about a year after we got Molly, we decided to get Daisy.

And yes, I'll never be without a Golden. :D

K9karen
09-26-2005, 10:53 PM
My grandfather had a GSD when my mom was growing up. Both my parents always loved big dogs. My dad never had a dog or pet, but loved dogs and they flew to him like a magnet. I always loved Golden Retreivers because they seemed to fit my personality. Cody was 1/2 GR/Yellow Lab so I got the best of both breeds! My intention when I adopted was just instinct. I didn't care about the breed. Logan and I bonded the second our eyes met. it was the freakiest thing I ever experienced. By chance she's part GSD and is totally different than Cody. So I had/have 2 incredible furheads. I love all breeds but I guess we all have preferences. I'd love a Border Collie but they're too smart for me! And I mean that as a compliment to them! :D ;)

wolf_Q
09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
I grew up with a poodle (RB Smokey) and a schnauzer (Reggie). I didn't get Nebo until I was 18 so I wouldn't consider him a childhood dog.

I'm pretty positive I will not get a poodle or a schnauzer again. It's not that I don't love them, they are just not the breed for me...huskies are the breed for me. I prefer dogs that do not require a haircut and are not very barky. Though I have fallen in love with Sydney and I may take her with me if I ever move out. :o

veegan
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
interesting question!

my family has always had boxers, but mostly before I was born, until I was in 8th grade. my parents got a boxer, but we only had her I think 8 months until my parents decided it was time to rehome her (basically they expected me, a child essentially, to take full responsibility for the "family dog" and she became destructive, as unsupervised puppies do...:mad: ) so they gave her to a family friend (wonderful home, with another boxer, children, and a huge yard). she was an awesome dog though, and of course had a big impact on me, and my sister had her sister, so I sorta grew up with her. I was probably more influenced by friends' dogs though, specifically my friends german shepherd mix, Ripley. shes such a special dog, and Ive always loved her like my own.

I definitely think Ripley influenced my dog choice, and probably our Boxers (ours and my sisters) did too. Ripley is a genious, amazingly smart, fast learning, AWESOME trick dog, and I ended up deciding on an aussie as my first dog, (very similar qualities). and now a pit bull, which Ive wanted for years, EXTREMELY similar to boxers in personality.

although, ever since I was really young, before the boxers and before ripley, Id been drawn to Basenjis. I know Ill have one of those unique creatures some day! ;) they are a challenge though, so I knew I wasnt ready for one at this time in my life. one day.. when I have a HOUSE. lol *daydreams* dont take your yards for granted people! ;)

rnparker
10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
The answer is YES!

Our family had several pets growing up. We had an irish setter, a beagle, a chocolate lab, a couple mixed breeds. Not all at once of course! I think the one that we had the longest was the irish setter...I am getting one next year.

Our family has a poodle now, due to the fact that when my son was young, he had childhood asthma. She is just under 8 years old. She is great and has quite the attitude.

Now that our som has outgrown the asthma, I am anxiously awating the arrival of our new family member into the household.

Before our poodle, I had a great golden retriever. My hubby and I loved her too. A very smart dog and great family pet. We had to find another home for her after my sons repeated hospital stay due to his Asthma. I would consider another retriever as well...A great dog and companion.

Anita Cholaine
10-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I think I'll always have a dachshund. I want to have mutts and addopted dogs some day, but I like doxies so much..... I love their short legs and their big personalities..........

DJFyrewolf36
10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Growing up, we had the most wonderful GSD mix. Bandit was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever encountered and he was smart too. Sadly he got hit by a car when I was 6 and went to the RB. Bandit definately showed me how wonderful GSDs can be. My brother also has had GSD's for as long as I can remember. My mom-in-laws dog is a GSD mix and he's a sweetie too. We might end up taking him now that we have a yard. :D

My parents have had other dogs too...my dad is really fond of Dobermans and I cant remember a time when we weren't graced by thier presence. I LOVE Dobermans, thier look and personality facinates me. They're a lot of work, especially ones that have been in bad homes but the loyalty and love they give is absolutely AMAZING! Someday I'd like to have a doberman of my own although I'm really close to Max, my parents dobie. I do love that dog!

Dad rescued an Engish Springer spaniel named Odie. He was a good dog and loved my dad to death. He was stubborn though.. I did like Odie a lot but I don't think I'll have any type of spaniel. Dad had a cocker spaniel too, and she was just plain MEAN! I don't think spaniels are my "type" lol

My mom had a basset hound when I was growing up too. I would love to have one of them someday as well. Sadie had a great personality and was so much fun to be around, I'd like to experence that again. Now mom has my dog, a mutt named Twilight (I wish I could have taken her to my apartment when I moved). I LOVE her so darn much! She is one of a kind. I'd take her, but she has become so bonded with my mom, I'd hate to take them away from each other. So, I'm just content to visit every day :)

John had a pitbull mix growing up and says that he was the nicest dog you'd ever meet. He wants to rescue a pit or a pit mix someday.

I LOVE dogs, especially big dogs. I've been around dogs for as long as I can remember and honestly if I met a dog that needed a home, I wouldn't care what breed it was so long as I could give it the best care.

Sorry to ramble :o