PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Your Dog To Walk Right

xkrissy11x
09-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Our dog Beau is a yellow labrador and we love him. But every time we go for a walk he pulls and pulls! He has a harness but it dose'nt stop him! How can we get him to stop?

Den Anne Pen
09-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Phoenix is the same way i always use a harness and i just found one a couple of weeks ago that is made for pullers

It's a Halti harness it's not the one the goes over the nose it's a regualar harness but it works great it hits a pressure point and they don''t pull you can get it any pet store it's alittle expensive like $28.00 but it's worth it :) :)

Good luck

xkrissy11x
09-26-2005, 01:25 PM
We have a harness for pulling anf it dose'nt work

k9krazee
09-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Obediance classes would help or if you are just looking for a quick band aid fix you could always get a halti, the ones that do go on their face like a horse's halter would. We bought one for our Rottie Shadow and it stops pulling immediatly however this is not completely fixing the problem of course because when you don't use it the dog will still pull.

xkrissy11x
09-28-2005, 05:13 AM
The only obedience classes here are $160 for 2 weeks every monday evening

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I just started obedience for Roscoe, and the trainer said that when he pulls say 'easy' and quickly jerk his leash back several times. Never say his name when you are trying to discipline him, then if he runs away or something and you call his name he will think he is being punished and won't come to you. It seems to be working with Roscoe so far. Good luck! :)

Roxyluvsme13
09-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Roxy is the same way. i do the pulling thing with her...like jen said, i do something like that

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
I trained my dogs to walk nice on a leash by turning around and going the opposite direction when they pulled. By doing that they learned to focus on me and not where they were trying to get to in a big hurry. After doing that a few times they now walk really nicely. They know how to heel but I rarely make them heel on a walk because I want them to enjoy their walk so I let them walk a little bit ahead of me but they still have to walk with a loose leash.....

CarrieB
10-01-2005, 11:57 AM
My Buffy is the same way, even though she can't actully pull me since she is a teacup chihuahua! But she always chokes herself with her collar and starts to wheez.. but I think I need to go buy a harness if i an find one small enough

Flatcoatluver
10-01-2005, 09:12 PM
160$ For 2 Weeks? Thats Alot Of Money! Our Obedince Class Is 8 Weeks For 86 Dollor And We Learn Alot

catnapper
10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
How long is your leash? What material is it?

I found that everyone has preferences for materials (I myself swear by leather leashes) but I wouldn't go anything longer than a 6' leash and hold most of it in your right (or left) hand while the dog is walking beside you on your left (or right). You'll develop some serious muscles! ;) but if you have the lash in your hands, short, but comfortable for the dog, he'll learn to heel and not pull. If he relaxes, let him have the whole 6' of leash. The second he starts to pull, you pull back on the leash to having most of it in the opposite hand of where the dog is. Make sense? I like leather because it doesn't slip while holding it and reining the dog in. No fiber cutso your hands either.

Nicki is so good that I could now take her out anywhere without a leash and she'd never go anywhere. I never choked her, hit her, yelled at her, etc. Just held onto that leash with authority.

labrado_retriever123
10-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Practice, Practice, Practice the command 'heel'.

1. Have cookies ready for your dog
2. Hold the cookies by your side, lauring the dog to stay by your side, and tell him 'Heel'
3. Give him a cookie
4. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I taught King Duke that command after I had that problem the 1st time I walked him

CathyBogart
10-02-2005, 04:02 AM
I have found harnesses to be ineffective (just my experience). I prefer Limited-slip (martingale) collars or just regular collars. Also, look at your leash, as catnapper said. I am most comfortable with a six foot leather leash, but I know a lot ofpeople who are more comfortable with a four foot leash, or with nylon.

To teach my dogs to walk on a loose lead, I would take them out one at a time, and the moment one started to pull, I would stop. The dog got no eye contact, no attention at all, until the leash was slack. That I would start to walk again. At first, this meant I was moving literally one step at a time, about every thirty seconds.

Within four walks, they both started to "get it". Now both of my dogs walk very nicely, although, as with any training, it is something that has to be reinforced forever. You can't slack off once he has learned leash manners, he will forget them!

Odds are, there are more than one dog trainer in your area. If you were looking at private lessons from one trainer, that price sounds high but not outrageous. Check out group classes. Most vets can probably recommend some quality group classes that are reasonably priced.

dab_20
10-02-2005, 12:08 PM
my toy poodle mix pulled too. she obviously didn't pull ME (lol) but just like carrieB's dog, she chokes herself. we got her a harness and the first day it worked great! she still pulls a little but not nearly as much. it was a cheaper harness, but it still works. i would go out and get a puller harness. he may still pull a little so then you can teach him like orangutango does. i think that will work well. Good Luck!! :)

LuckiLab03
10-02-2005, 02:51 PM
I think harnesses encourage dogs to pull because that's what they use to work. I haven't met a lab yet who can walk without pulling that doesn't wear a pinch collar. It worked wonders for Riley and a bunch of other lab owners we've talked to.

dab_20
10-02-2005, 04:27 PM
maybe they do in working dogs, but not smaller ones. i had an australian cattle dog and he pulled like crazy. a harness worked on him. and he was a big dog.

labrador__Love
10-02-2005, 10:50 PM
@.@ I don't know it my image thingy works, I'm testing it. if it doesn't can one of you guys tell me how?

labrador__Love
10-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Noooo! It Doesn't! :'(

labrador__Love
10-02-2005, 10:51 PM
can one of you help me?

finn's mom
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I haven't met a lab yet who can walk without pulling that doesn't wear a pinch collar.

Finn is a labrador retriever and all he has around his neck is a nylon collar. I use a six foot nylon leash, and, he walks nicely now. It took almost a month of consistent, at least twice daily training walks to get him to the point he is at. He's still not perfect, but, he doesn't pull unless he sees another dog or a squirrel or something. But, even then, he settles down quickly when he realizes that we go absolutely nowhere if he pulls. I did try a prong collar for a couple days, but, it wasn't effective. It didn't bother him, but, it just wasn't working for training him not to pull. And, I wouldn't even think of putting a choke collar on him, I put one on my leg once and jerked it. I had bruises for over a week. I did the same thing with the prong collar and it didn't hurt. Anyway, just wanted you to know that there is at least one lab that doesn't wear a pinch (do you mean choke or prong, i wasn't sure) collar and, who nearly 75% of the time, doesn't pull. :) I'm sure there are lots more, too, they're just a little more hard headed when it comes to teaching leash walking.

jesse_3
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, with my aunts dog Alex, I have started a new method of making her sit for 10 seconds whenever she pulls too hard. I just started that last week, it worked well for the first time..Maybe you could try that with a harness. Oh yes, practice and LOTS of praise is great. When they do a good job cheer and pet them..They love to stop for that;)

Steph, Jesse, Splinter

cute_pup
10-06-2005, 01:00 AM
I have a yellow lab (x) and he has the same problem especially when he sees Dogs. I take some dog cookies and when he tries to pull i tell him to sit and give him praise. Maybe you could try that. :)

jackie
10-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Like other people have posted its just practise, practise, and more practise. Once you pick a method, like stopping when he pulls, stick with that method! If you let them get away with pulling one time, they will try it whenever they can!

It's a Halti harness it's not the one the goes over the nose it's a regualar harness but it works great it hits a pressure point and they don''t pull you can get it any pet store it's alittle expensive like $28.00 but it's worth it

I have heard that these haltis can damage your dogs sense of smell after awhile, and don't really solve the pulling issue. Its just a bandaid, covering the problem, but not fixing it.

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Mickey doesn't really pull anyway. But we don't have a chance to go run around off leash at a dog park, so his walks are for him. He doesn't have to heel, I just make sure he doesn't pull my arm out of it's socket.