PDA

View Full Version : I think I have something important to tell you.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Mom had a breakdown today. We were sitting there watching TV and she got up and said, "I have to go somewhere and do something, I'll be right back." Okay... I was like, "What are you doing?" and she just said, "There's just something I need to do," and she left.

Soo... we sit at home (Jakey and I) for an hour or so, and she comes home. She's messing around in the kitchen, washing the patio doors so we can put up the cling-on thingies, and every so often I hear, "*sniff* *sniff*" and naturally, I assume that she's been crying. I don't say anything, but just keep watching TV thinking she doesn't want to talk about it.

She comes and stands by the stairs and she goes, "Can you just hug me?" and she started SOBBING. She was mumbling things such as, "I'm sorry I'm such a bad mom," and, "I'm so sorry you have to see me like this," but the one that got me the most was, "I'm sorry I'm such a bad mom, and I'm sorry you have to see my depression like this but I just want to be a normal person. I don't want to have to take pills to be normal."

*sigh*

I felt so sad, I started to tear up a little, and just kept hugging her as she cried. I didn't know what else to do. Things started to piece together a little bit. She broke down and told me how she really felt. She doesn't like being a depressive, and I think a lot of what happens between us is because of it. I really loved her right then and I felt so bad for her. She wants to be a normal mom sooo bad but this cronic depression sh!t is tearing her apart.

*sigh* Poor mom. :( What do I do? Do I forget what's happened in the past? Do I have this reason to feel closer to her? Should I take this all as an act? What do I do?

king2005
09-24-2005, 05:03 PM
If your mom is on meds cause she is sick, don't take anything she says to heart.

You should be so proud of her for admitting that she is sick & is trying to correct it.

The psycho I lived with was told my dr.'s that she was sick & was put on meds. She became a normal person for once & then she said I don't need these & has been a psycho ever since.

My dad has anger problems. My mom never told him, until she kicked him out. He wasn't abusive, but when he was angry boy could he yell.

After they split he yelled about something really stupid & I got angry & told him off. He went to the dr.'s & was given meds to not flip out so easly. He just about never gets upset now, unless its something worth getting angry at.

Maybe u can find a way to calm her down, does tea work? I personally find it very calming. I have the same anger problem as my dad, but I drink tea to calm me.

Hope all works out.

Toby's my baby
09-24-2005, 05:04 PM
I am so sorry your mom, and you, have to go through this. I dont have any idea what you should do. My prayers are with you and your family, I am so sorry that you have to go through depression, I wish nobody would ever be depressed. (((HUGS))) I hope your mom can feel "normal" again soon! :(

Karen
09-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Help her see that taking pills to make herself feel normal isn't a bad thing. Clinical depression is not something that just goes away because you want it to, and many, many people "take pills every day" to help control chemical imbalances in their brain. Explain to her that needing help doesn't make her less of a person, and that you are glad she admitted to you that she knows she has a problem.

Dealing with mental illness, which is what clinical depression is, is so hard for people. If it was some other kind of illness, she probably wouldn;t think twice about taking medication to correct it, but society has put such a stigma on mental illness.

I take medication every single day - not for mental illness, but because of my asthma and allergies. Does it make me a bad person? No! Neither should she feel badly about needing her medicines, if she can find, and have prescribed, something that helps. We have several people on Pet Talk who have struggled with depression, if that helps her at all to know she is not alone.

Bless you for loving and wanting to help. It is not an easy spot to be in. We're here for you when you need us.

luvofallhorses
09-24-2005, 05:20 PM
All you can do is be there for her. ((hugs))

Almita
09-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Try to make her act like a nice mom like be there for her and be there with her and she will probably kinda understand what it is like to be a nice person. By being there for someone.