PDA

View Full Version : Urgent, Mali Uromastyx

Fur&Feathers
09-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Since water isn't supposed to be kept in a Mali Uromastyx's cage, I give mine water outside of his cage. I just gave him some water, he drank normally. After a few seconds, however, he began to open his mouth, not gasping for air or anything, then water came back out of his mouth. I guess he threw it up. I can't find any information online?! Will he be ok?! What's wrong? ANY info. appreciated.

king2005
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Food: Collard greens, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, thawed frozen mixed vegetables, rabbit pellets, wildflowers, soaked bird seeds, lentils, strawberries, and prepared bearded dragon or iguana food are for good choices and should be offered in a varied mixture. Crickets and mealworms coated with vitamin mineral powder should be offered twice a week.

Water: There is much controversy over offering water to Uromastyx. While it seems cruel to withhold water from a pet, they are designed to obtain their minimal water needs from their food sources to ensure survival in a very dry habitat. If water is provided at all times, there is a danger that it could raise humidity to unacceptable levels. Spraying the fresh vegetable mixture daily will increase the water content obtained from them. A 5-10 minute soak in warm water every couple of weeks will help keep them well hydrated and aid in shedding.

location info found: click here (http://www.jackspets.com/reptilehints/MALI%20UROMASTYX.htm)

king2005
09-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Input · Water · Yes, that's right. Uros generally do not need to have standing water in their enclosures. They are so efficient at obtaining water from their food, just the water which remains after rinsing the vegetables is plenty. This was one area which "just didn't seem right"...until I saw them urinate. My fears were allied at that point. While there are a few exceptions, a water bowl will usually be dumped over, trodden through, uprooted, and end up causing humidity problems.

location info found:click here (http://jason.creager.com/uros.html#water)