PDA

View Full Version : What are your views on Pet Insurance?

Chica
09-24-2005, 02:31 AM
What are your opinions on pet insurance?
I don't have it but I was starting to look into it for Chica. Chica got sick and I had to take her to Emergency Vet Hospital in the middle of the night.
She had diarrhea, fever, uncontrolled vomitting.
She had something going on regarding her intestines. X-RAYS were taken. What the Vet saw was a gas bubble or blockage. The hospital put her on an IV fluid drip and antibiotics. She was at the hospital for 13 hours. She started feeling better. The Vet took another X-Ray and the blockage moved through the intestines. I have a feeling that I was giving Chica to many dried chicken treats, and she couldn't digest it. Also it could have been that she chews up stuffed toys and ingested the stuffing. But it was passed through the intestines finally. If the blockage was still there the Vet said he would have to do surgery. Thankfully that wasn't necessary.
I spent $800 . Thank God she is allright NOW!:D

lady_zana
09-24-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't have it right now but I'm looking into something called Care Credit. Have you heard of it? It's like a credit card that only works at doctors' offices. It handles many types of minor doctor appointments, including dentistry and vets. Go to carecredit.com to check it out.

I have a friend who adopted a greyhound. She has pet insurance because though he is fine now, she knows with all the abuse he was put through in the races, he'll have many bone and body problems as he grows older.

I can't afford pet insurance - I'm a poor college grad without a job (anybody hiring?:rolleyes: ;) ) which is why I'm looking into the Care Credit. I have a friend who has a card and she's really glad she got it.

chocolatepuppy
09-24-2005, 05:14 AM
I don't have it but wish I would have! Mandy costs us $1326. for a trip to a vet in Cleveland and 2 trips to Ohio State University. That was by the time she was one! She has had three UTI now, she gets them when she's in heat. (can't be fixed due to heart condition)
Lacey's knee ligament surgery cost $900. last fall. She had two surgeries but the vet didn't charge for the second one. She also had a hormone problem when she was two which costs me $250 for tests they ran, then she got better. :rolleyes:
Mandy had a non stop ear infection in her right ear until we finally got that cleared up and who knows what all those trips to the vet and meds cost!
Missy had a UTI which costs me nearly $150. by the time it was over.
Of course there's the regular vet visits and shots, spaying, and other little things. No wonder I still don't have new carpet. ;)

I'm glad to hear Chica is doing better! :)

carole
09-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I would dearly love to have it, but I am struggling to pay our own health insurance, which has to come first so we are well and can take care of our pets, it is just if a major surgery is needed that I cannot possible afford that I would run into a real dilemma, I just have to hope that does not happen., but yes it would be good.

mruffruff
09-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Pet insurance is a lot like human insurance. If there is a pre-existing condition, either you can't get insurance or it'll cost a whole lot.

If you want insurance for a pet, you should start it as soon as you get your pet. Otherwise, the cost will be higher. And insurance doesn't cover everything. You might be better off by regularly putting a set amount in a special savings account. You can use this account when you need it, for whatever you need, without applying to a company for reimbursement (and maybe not getting repaid).

Just my opinion.

Ginger's Mom
09-24-2005, 08:21 AM
What a good question. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this also. Mary I think my general opinion is the same as your's. I would have said exactly the same thing. The only thing that has made me start to rethink it is that I also belong to another board, and almost everyone there has it and love it. Now a big difference is that many of them live in Great Britain, so there may be better plans over there. I will check out the creditcare site that you posted lady zana. All thoughts welcome.

Sorry to hear that Chica had such a painful and scary experience. I am glad to hear that she is feeling better, and that it wasn't anything more serious.

Roxyluvsme13
09-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Well...i think we almost got it once, but they wanted way too much money for the insurance...which was way too much to pay, so we never got it....

Craftlady
09-24-2005, 10:36 AM
We have pet insurance on all 4 furry kids.
$10.92 for first pet and $9.83 for Pet #2 & #3 (they discount #2 & #3) Cindy was #4 so she went to $10.92

---------
$41.40 a month

This is the basic plan for Illness and Accidents.
Our plan doesnt cover routine shots etc. That is not what I wanted insurance.
It was for the $677.33 combo expiences for ER Vet/Reg Vet for Thumper's recent UTI.
We pay first $100 then it's 80/20 reinbursement.

Yes I've filed previous claims and within 30 days I've gotten reinbursed to my satisfaction. The company we are with is located in North Canton, Ohio and the policies are underwritten in the UK.
Thumper started on policy when she was 4 yrs old she is now 6 yrs old.

To me less than $42 a month, is cheap. We have all wasted that on inpulse shopping or going to McDonalds to much in a month.
We live on one income a school teachers, we all now they are grossly underpaid. It can be done and well worth the peace of mind.

Petshealth Care Plan
3840 Greentree Ave SW
Canton, Ohio 44706
(800)807-6724
(330)484-8081 (fax)
healthplan (www.petshealthplan.com )

LKPike
09-24-2005, 11:08 AM
our pets insurance is putting aside 30-100$ of my paycheck every 2 weeks :p thats actually the medical emergency account - for them OR us, but mostly we use it for them right now.

Chica
09-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am going to call Pethealth Care Plan for brochures and look into it. You never know what or when something is going to happen to your pet concerning health problems.
LOL from Chica's mom :)

Craftlady
09-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Chica
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am going to call Pethealth Care Plan for brochures and look into it. You never know what or when something is going to happen to your pet concerning health problems.
LOL from Chica's mom :)

CLICK BELOW ......... the brochures of their plans are on line.
PLANS (http://www.petshealthplan.com/plans.asp)

Glacier
09-24-2005, 01:16 PM
If we had fewer pets, I'd have it on them. It's way too pricey for 30 animals and there are several of them that couldn't get coverage anyway. Instead I have a savings account that I put money into whenever I can and I use that for the vet. I also have a credit card that I only use at the clinic for the occasionally huge bill!

caseysmom
09-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I got banfield insurance for bubba I think its around 15 a month and that covered his neuter and all vaccinations, I think I paid 100 at the beginning. It doesn't cover meds though.

I put casey on the adult premium, I think its about 25 a month, it covers all her vaccinations, exams, blood work I think twice a year and dental cleanings.

I think it has saved us some money but I think if there was an emergency in the middle of the night it wouldn't pay, plus its just the vet exam, any other procedures or most are not covered.

I do really like the vets we have and they are very into preventative care.

Jessika
09-24-2005, 01:45 PM
I've heard the insurance you get through PetCo is a waste of money and doesn't cover stuff that other insurance companies do. I'm not just saying that out of rumor, I worked there lol.

Does anyone have any GOOD pet insurance companies though?? Preferably ones that also cover vaccinations, because gosh a trip to the vet for one pup alone was nearly $100, I can't imagine what it would be like now that I have two! :(

Craftlady
09-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Jessika
Does anyone have any GOOD pet insurance companies though?? Preferably ones that also cover vaccinations, because gosh a trip to the vet for one pup alone was nearly $100, I can't imagine what it would be like now that I have two! :(

The one I have does have plans that cover vaccinations etc. We choice not to have that plan but a basic one for illness and injury. 3 cats to annual vet visit cost us $150 (shots/office call) now it will be probably closer to $200 with 4 :)

K9karen
09-26-2005, 12:51 AM
I have the Superior Plan with VPI. With Cody's hip dysplasia and some other problems, I used it a lot and saved a lot of money. When he was dying and in the emergency clinic for 2 days, it nearly paid my entire bill. I had to pay it first but got reimbursed. It doesn't cover ACL surgery, for example, because they think that it'll usually strike both knees eventually. I pay monthly. The rate increases yearly as the dog ages. Right now I pay around $29 a month and Thank God, except for shots and stool samples etc, haven't needed it.

NoahsMommy
09-26-2005, 01:11 AM
When I worked at the vet, about 10% of the clients had it and they were all happy.

I'd suggest it for younger animals, because we all get sick now and then.

If you insure an older dog, they request vet record and you can be denied or offered a plan with many limitations.

Good luck! I think its a very good idea! :)