PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant tipping

mruffruff
09-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Nearly every weekend I eat out at least once. I tend to favor buffets, for the variety, price and speed. I never know if I'm tipping correctly. I know that in a regular restaurant, 15-20% is expected (unless the service was really lousy). But is it the same if all the waitperson does is brings a plate and takes the used one?

What's your opinion?

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
No, IMO the tip should not be the same. Those places normally have a very high turnover of people and I wouldn't tip more than 10%. My husband and I were both in that business and I think a tip of 10% for wait staff that doesn't really wait on is is sufficent.

caseysmom
09-23-2005, 03:35 PM
My kids like fresh choice so we go there occasionally, I usually leave a couple of dollars on the table.

finn's mom
09-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Mary, I would think that person is more of a busboy, not so much a waiter. I'd leave a bit of a tip, but, not like for a waiter.

Roxyluvsme13
09-23-2005, 08:14 PM
if thats all they did dont leave 15% today i ate at applebees and the service was awful they didnt even bring my food out with my moms! :mad: it made me and her mad....

slleipnir
09-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I tip depending on the service. If I have excellent service/nice server, I will tip really good. If I have poor service/no personality server, then a lower tip.

catnapper
09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
I get so mad at hubby when he leaves those people big tips. They did nothing compared to the people who take the order, return a hundred times to make sure we are content, etc. But he grew up with a mom who was a professional waitress and feels its his duty to tip them well regardless. :)

finn's mom
09-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Roxyluvsme13
if thats all they did dont leave 15% today i ate at applebees and the service was awful they didnt even bring my food out with my moms! :mad: it made me and her mad....

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but, they were doing their job, not slacking off. It was a buffet, and, the staff only needs to clear your plates...:) At Applebee's, they most definitely should have done more. I don't think Mary was talking about receiving bad service, though...just wondering what you should tip the staff that is only required to pick up your plates. Sorry if I'm reading this wrong altogether, though. :)

carole
09-24-2005, 06:06 AM
Tipping is not done in NZ, and I for one hope it does stay that way, it is not custom here, but we always know when a visitor from the states arrive and I must say the staff are generally pleased to get a tip that they otherwise would not get here.

Am I wrong in believing that the wages as a waiter , waitress are quite low, and tipping helps make up their wage packet? if so what is the general wage for a waiter/waitress. I am just curious.:)

catnapper
09-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Yes, Carol, waiters and waitresses make FAR less than anyone else. Not sure what the exact amount is, but a waitress will only make $4 base salary when someone else makes $10 base salary. A good waitress in a good restaurant can walk out every day with over $100 in tips. but when they have a bad day,. its a baaad day. My MIL was a waitress and worked til 74 years old and was forced by cancer to stop. She LOVED her job, loved her regular customers, and made good money... but worked HARD and never relied on the base salary for anything.

carole
09-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Gosh that is an incredibly low wage, my daughters paper run pays her almost 4 dollars an hour, 3.81 to be exact and only takes her half an hour, I think most get around ten dollars and hour here at least, I guess you really have to work hard and be nice to take home a reasonable wage then.

mruffruff
09-24-2005, 07:54 AM
I feel that about 10% would be adequate unless the service was exceptional.

I realize that the wages are low; been there, done that. But if they don't take the order, bring the food, check back occasionally and bring the bill, they are only doing half the job.

I've become a regular at Golden Corral. Their food is really good, down-home cooking. And a huge variety. Breakfasts are awesome.

In a regular restaurant, I understand that the waitperson earns their tips.

Thanks for the input.

anna_66
09-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by carole
Am I wrong in believing that the wages as a waiter , waitress are quite low, and tipping helps make up their wage packet? if so what is the general wage for a waiter/waitress. I am just curious.:)
No, your not wrong at all Carole. Waiter/waitress wages are unbelievably low. I work at Red Lobster and I only make $2.13/hour. This mostly just covers my taxes:rolleyes: And yes, the tipping helps make up the wages otherwise we would be making zilch!

mruffruff-I also used to work at Ponderosa many years ago and I didn't take orders or anything, but I did get drinks, bring out food, clean tables and so forth. I only was paid $2.13 then also so I appreciated every tip I ever received. Some people don't understand that a lot of places only pay the minimum server wage. If your wondering, just ask how much they make:) I'd rather someone ask me then just leave a small tip thinking I made more.