PDA

View Full Version : We need PT prayers and HELP

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM
It's 8:45am and I have been in tears for close to 3 hours. Why? Because I am beyond frustrated and worried.

On Saturday, Kimi decided to all of a sudden pee on Samantha (my dog's) pillow bed. I posted about it here but I'm too lazy to look it up. I was very worried as this is very unusual for her and monitored her closely for the rest of the weekend as well as this entire week. We had no more problems. Great litter box usage, lots of pee when she went, no blood. So I became convinced that the reason Kimi peed on the pillow Saturday morning was because she smelled something in it and in that crazy animal mind of hers, it triggered her to go to the bathroom on it. I called the vet and they agreed.

My mom and I decided to treat Samantha to another bed yesterday, so we went to PetSmart to pick out the perfect one for her. We bought it, brought it home and Samantha loved it!! I have a couple pictures of her laying on it chewing a rawhide bone last night. When I went to bed, I took the bed up with me. Samantha always starts out at the bottom of our bed and then spends the rest of the night on her pillow. I know she loved having a bed back.

This morning, I woke up and it was still dark out. I thought I saw something on the bed but wasn't sure as the nightlight was casting shadows. I turned on the light. The girls were right next to the bed with two fresh pee stains on it - the urine hadn't even completely soaked in yet, it was that new. I immediately started crying.

I don't know what to do. It was BRAND NEW. There is no way that enough "smell" could've been put on it in the little bit of usage it got before bed to make Kimi want to pee there. She doesn't pee ANYWHERE ELSE in the house. She doesn't show any symptoms of having a UTI or anything else. She doesn't pee on the pillows on our bed. JUST Samantha's bed pillows.

I just don't understand. WHY. WHY NOW. All I know is that I cannot take this anymore! I love my girls and I've been in hysterics all morning, but I cannot figure out WHY they're doing this and I certainly can't have them eliminating all over the house - especially with a baby on the way.

What do I do? Keep them locked out of the bedroom at night? That means Samantha would either be locked in with us (which isn't fair as she likes to roam) or locked out with the cats - which also isn't fair because she has slept with us for over 3 years. It doesn't seem fair to punish her for someone else's doing.

If we lock just the cats out, Kirin would claw at the door. Plus, he loves to lay with us. So does Sushi. So we'd be "punishing" them for something they didn't do, too. We couldn't lock them in WITH us as they wouldn't have access to their litter boxes.

So do we lock JUST the girls in the back room? For what - the night? When we're gone? How will that "fix" anything? It seems like just putting a band-aid on a leaking dam. The girls have both been checked out lately - the vet gave them a clean bill of health. That leads me to believe it's behavioral. HOW DO I FIX THIS? I am at my wit's end. My husband has been so understand and so patient with this problem (first with Maya pooping outside the box, now with this) but he's losing it quickly too.

I just don't understand why they're doing this. NOTHING has changed. We haven't changed food, litter, their access to various places in the house... NOTHING. NOTHING IS DIFFERENT. I don't know what to do. I don't want to get rid of them, but I just don't know what to do. Can someone here help me? Take them for a week or two and work with them? SOMETHING? ANYTHING?

Sorry for the rambling. I just don't know what to do.

joycenalex
09-23-2005, 08:22 AM
**big time prayers** i wish cats would and could explain why they do things.

Lightning SuperCat
09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
I have no idea of anything to say, but I'm snding LOTS and LOTS of (((((((((HUGS))))))))) and Prayers that you get the problem worked out!!!!!!

catmandu
09-23-2005, 08:31 AM
THE ONE THING,THAT I HAVE HERAD,THAT WORKS,IS FELI WAY,AND THAT IS SAID,TO BE EXCELLENT,WHEN CATS IGNORE THIER LITTER BOXES.
GOOD LUCK,WITH YOUR CATS!

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 08:40 AM
She's not ignoring her box though. She still uses it without a problem. After she ruined the first pillow and before we got the new one last night, she had absolutely NO PROBLEM going in the litter box.

We have Feliway from when Maya first started her problem. It hasn't done anything - they don't react to it at all, and it never seemed to fix Maya's problem once and for all as she still has her little "accidents" outside the box... but hers are easy to clean up and localized to immediately outside the box in a low traffic area of the basement. Not in our bedroom or wherever a pillow may be.

I'm sorry if I come off sounding bitchy - I'm just tired and scared and worried and frustrated. I'm tired of dealing with this and I'm frustrated that I don't know how to fix it or figure out what the cause is.

QueenScoopalot
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a similar problem going on here, and when bought a bed for our dogs, the first thing I did before putting it down was to take the zippered cover off, and put a heavy weight contractors trash bag around it, taped into place. This way the particular bad boy Impy can't soak through to the foam core. :rolleyes: I whip the cover into the wash often, and bleach the trash bag and air dry before re-covering the bed. Maybe a good urine neutralizer might help? I wonder if your cats sense you're pregnancy and hormonal changes going on, and are reacting to that? :confused: Locking them into rooms separate from the areas they're peeing in may help...worth a try at this rate. (((HUGS))) and sympathy for your situation. :(

Craftlady
09-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I wonder if your cats sense you're pregnancy and hormonal changes going on, and are reacting to that? :confused:

I agree that maybe the cats are reacting to the pregnancy. A solution I dont have for this particular problem. Maybe your vet has some advise.

catnapper
09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree with others that think it might be that the girls are reacting to the pregnancy.

This is step by step exactly what Allen is doing right now. He will only pee in laundry baskets or blankets someone dropped on the floor. NOTHING else. He's telling me he's annoyed that the 3rd floor is closed to him (I dropped Minette off to her new home today, so hopefully this problem will resolve itself now that he once again has access to "his" room... will let you know if it doesn't work). I honestly think the girls are teeling you they are upset by something. Now its trying to determine if its something to do with the pregnancy or Samantha, etc.

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Can cats really sense hormonal changes? If so, why are just the girls reacting - not the boys? I can't say my moods haven't been a little shifty lately but I'm at work most of the time and I never take out my moods on my animals. They all still get the same amount of love and affection as I've always given them.

Could it be directly related to Samantha? Do cats take out aggressions towards other animals by attacking things they know belong to them? The other pillow, they'd seen Sam lay on for months but this new one... Sushi was laying on it before Samantha got on it last night. Are they that smart that they understood when I said it was Sam's new bed?

How much longer do I deal with this? If a baby wasn't 3 months away from showing up, I probably would just deal... but I can't have a toddler crawling around a constantly soiled house. *sigh* I cried from the second I saw what they'd done until after I got into work. I cried so hard, I gave myself another nosebleed. I'm constantly worrying about them and when I see a picture of them, I tear up. I love them all so much, I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening.

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I am thinking also could it be possible that Samantha may have ticked them off somehow? Maybe snapped at them or hurt them. Not necessarily on purpose but I know cats can hold a grudge. Are they all left alone together? Maybe something could have happened when you were out and they are just majorly pissed with Samantha. Just a suggestion.

catnapper
09-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Yes, some cats can be mre sensitive than others. Pouncer KNOWS when I'm not feeling well or when I've got a migraine. He becomes much more loving than any other time when I'm sick or headachy. There have been times where I felt perfectly fine and he was loving on me, only to turn around a few hours later and feel AWFUL... just a few nights ago, he came up to me several times and even my husband said "wow, he's certainly affectionate tonight." and I woke up the following morning all sinusy and icky.

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I am thinking also could it be possible that Samantha may have ticked them off somehow? Maybe snapped at them or hurt them. Not necessarily on purpose but I know cats can hold a grudge. Are they all left alone together? Maybe something could have happened when you were out and they are just majorly pissed with Samantha. Just a suggestion. They're left alone together on days that my husband goes into the office. Otherwise he, at least, is there with them. Samantha plays with all the kitties - they like bolting out of nowhere and getting her to chase them - but I have never seen her do anything malicious towards them. She grew up with my parents OLD Maine Coon cat and because of him, "respects" cats.

I'm not saying what you suggest is impossible - I'm not discounting ANYTHING at this point. Just from the animals I know, it seems unlikely.

Originally posted by catnapper
Yes, some cats can be mre sensitive than others. Pouncer KNOWS when I'm not feeling well or when I've got a migraine. He becomes much more loving than any other time when I'm sick or headachy. There have been times where I felt perfectly fine and he was loving on me, only to turn around a few hours later and feel AWFUL... just a few nights ago, he came up to me several times and even my husband said "wow, he's certainly affectionate tonight." and I woke up the following morning all sinusy and icky. I asked the vet if cats were that sensitive to what's going on with their owners and told her I was pregnant and had hit an emotional point in the pregnancy. I made a point of saying that while I haven't felt like myself for the last couple weeks, I haven't changed my demeanor with any of my animals. If anything, they're what keeps me grounded so they still get as much love and affection as always. She said that that very well could be the cause and if so, may actually get worse once the baby's born before Kimi starts accepting the new way as the norm and settles back down.

At any rate, I am to pick up some "No-sorb" litter from the vet tomorrow and get Kimi to use it at some point on Sunday. We'll take the sample to the vet and have them run some tests on it. It'll at least rule out any medical issues so we can rest our minds about it and focus on behavioral adjustments.

Please, please keep us in your prayers. I love my girls. I love my zoo. I don't know what is causing all this unrest lately, but please pray that we find a solution... and soon.

Kfamr
09-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Poor you and poor Sam. :( I hope someone helps you out with what to do. I'm only "trained" in dog training. ;)

{{HUGS}}

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Poor you and poor Sam. :( I hope someone helps you out with what to do. I'm only "trained" in dog training. ;)

{{HUGS}}

We can't forget poor kitty. There is obviously something wrong whether it be medical or otherwise. Something needs to be done to help this cat.

originally posted by Samantha Puppy
They're left alone together on days that my husband goes into the office. Otherwise he, at least, is there with them. Samantha plays with all the kitties - they like bolting out of nowhere and getting her to chase them - but I have never seen her do anything malicious towards them. She grew up with my parents OLD Maine Coon cat and because of him, "respects" cats.

I'm not saying what you suggest is impossible - I'm not discounting ANYTHING at this point. Just from the animals I know, it seems unlikely.

I am sure living with a maine coon did teach Samantha to respect cats and I don't think she would do it intentionally. But she is much bigger than they are it can take as little as a misstep by Samantha and she can step on them and hurt them. Unintentional by all mean but still the cat may see it otherwise.

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I am sure living with a maine coon did teach Samantha to respect cats and I don't think she would do it intentionally. But she is much bigger than they are it can take as little as a misstep by Samantha and she can step on them and hurt them. Unintentional by all mean but still the cat may see it otherwise. Very true. You may very well be right - they don't like how Samantha plays with them and they're letting her know it. That makes me feel bad because it means I'll have to discipline Samantha when she tries to play with them like she has for the last 6 months and now can't, all because it may be upsetting Kimi.

*sigh*

I just want my happy little household back. No problems, no issues, just everyone happy and going where they're supposed to be going, no messes, no grudges...

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Jaime when you see them getting rough maybe just encourage them to be gentle. I wouldn't want you to discipline Samantha when some discouragement from being rough may help.

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I didn't mean beating her - I don't do that unless she is being really intolerable and then it's just a quick swat to the butt. I just meant, being firm enough with her to get her to stop doing she's always been able to do with these specific cats - that's all. :)

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I didn't mean beating her - I don't do that unless she is being really intolerable and then it's just a quick swat to the butt. I just meant, being firm enough with her to get her to stop doing she's always been able to do with these specific cats - that's all. :)

My Lord, I never thought you meant beating her. I think being encouraging about being nice would be what I would try first. If that didn't work then I would be firm with her.

janelle
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
If the cat is healthy with no UTI than I wouldn't worry about it not with you being pregnant.

Get a washable bed an throw it into the wash. Spray Fabreze all over the places you think she may start to wet and see if that breaks her.

This may have something to do with your pregnancy but you won't know until you have the baby.

You can go to http://www.thepetprofessor.com/

just me
09-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I had a cat that did the same thing. He seemed to be ok other than the occasional marking. Long story short he did have a UTI.
I still blame myself for not taking him to the vets, right when i noticed him doing it. This was like 12 years ago. But he really did seem ok.As it turned out it was strain of bacteria, that turned toxic in his system. The vet did all he could but he passed inless than 2 days. I dont remember the fancy name for it, but i do know the vet said that sometimes in fixed cats it happens, but not that common. I will look and see if I can find his vet bill to see if the name of it is on there, its been so long but I may still have it.
Is you baby Fixed? You may want to have Her checked if she continues.
My baby did this for about a month or so, then one morning BAM,
he was really sick. It all happened so quick.
Not in any way saying this is the problem, and with everything goin on, it may very well be emotional.
I wish you well and will check back. Take care to all...
Just me...

Samantha Puppy
09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, all my babies are fixed.

I remember someone else on here didn't get a urination problem looked at right away and their cat ended up passing as well. I'm sorry for your loss. My husband is convinced it is nothing medical since she was fine in between Pee on the Pillow #1 (Saturday) and Pee on the Pillow #2 (today), but I don't want to take any chances. I know sometimes cats show no other "symptoms" than something like this, so we're going ahead with a urinalysis.

Here is a picture of Samantha's only night with her new bed. I am hoping to get another identical one in the near future (once we have Kimi's issue pegged). The cover you see here is fine - washable and has been washed - all I need is a pillow that fits inside it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/pd4da8f4afa016e0f2cbae97703267612/f22d757a.jpg

And the perpetrator...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p885c1548fc367c6ebd7a6ecddef27535/f22d72b4.jpg

Gettin' loved up by Daddy.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/pbc2c0eab5a6e76da328a4fa0963a0973/f22d72b3.jpg

Cuddling with sister Maya.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/pb5b9a572f5f1960a2279fd0a84ce4bc7/f22d72b1.jpg

carole
09-23-2005, 06:07 PM
I really feel for you having to deal with this problem, try not to get too upset, not good for you and the baby, if you can afford to take them for a general checkup maybe it might be a good thing to do, to outrule a UTI promptly, I have no advice to offer just empathy , understanding and good wishes for all to be well in your household again.

just me
09-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Sorry I couldnt find any of his vet papers, we must of thrown them out. Like I said though, its been 12 years.
The pictures of your babies are so great.
What kind of dog is Samantha ? She looks like she is so full of personality.
Your cats look like they had a hard day, HA HA.
Anyway my best to you and your KIDS.
Keep us updated , Im sure every thing will be fine.
Take care.
Just me...
:)

CalliesMom
09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
I am sorry as I do not have any suggestions for you but I feel your pain. Shadow was peeing on her beds in AL; we separated her during the day from the other two and she quit peeing out of the litter box. Now she is out with everyone and we have had no problems (knock on wood).

Keep us updated. Good luck.

janelle
09-24-2005, 10:00 AM
My sister has lost many cats to UTI. She has since learned to make sure they drink lots of water and if they won't drink much than give them moist food.

My two kitties drink so much water you would think they have a hollow leg. LOL I am so glad all my cats were water drinkers. I have water in the bathroom for them and I if you get them a good supply of water they are more likely to drink. A fountain may be the best if your cat if finiky about drinking.

My sister has a little fountain by her fireplace. It's for decoration not a pet dish but her cat loves to drink from it and really likes it when it's running.

catnapper
09-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Just got back from the vet. While waiting. I flipped through July 2005's issue of Cat Fancy magazine and in there was a good article about pregnancy and how it affects your cats, what to expect and how to prepare them for the baby. Thought you might want to look into it.

Cataholic
09-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Jaime,
If I understand you correctly, they ONLY pee on Samantha's bed. Why don't you just forget about Samantha having a bed??? I had someone peeing on this rubber backed rug I kept in the kitchen. I loved it. I threw the first one out, and bought another. Yep, pee, pee, pee. I finally just got rid of my need for a rug in the kitchen. Overly simple? Yes, but, it solved my problem.

Just a thought...

Kfamr
09-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't think poor Sam should live without a bed just because the kitties have problems.

Of course, it's up to Jaime, but Sam hasn't done anything wrong to get her bed taken away for good.

I never said I "forgot the poor kitty", Michelle.

Samantha Puppy
09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I don't think poor Sam should live without a bed just because the kitties have problems.

Of course, it's up to Jaime, but Sam hasn't done anything wrong to get her bed taken away for good. That was my train of thought. She loves laying on her beds when she chews her bones and it's where she sleeps once she has enough of getting kicked by Josh and I at the bottom of our bed each night. She loves it. She's always had a big pillow bed ever since I got her. I know that just not getting another one is the simple answer... but yeah - I thought what Kay thought - poor Samantha shouldn't be punished because two of my cats all of a sudden decided they wanted to pee on it... <shrug>

barncat
09-24-2005, 12:15 PM
You have gotten lots of good advice and ideas..and it is so great that you are trying so hard to be fair to your fur family in this. There are many possible causes and solutions, so try not to dispair.

One thing to keep in mind is that cats and dogs do not feel the same way about marking odors as humans do. Your cat does not think she is doing anything wrong or beig mean. She very well may be reacting to the sense of coming change by "helping" you mark and define your and your fellow "colony" members nest territory. The females and males in the group will respond differently to your changing scents and moods.

If the "guilty" one is a more protective and dominant female cat, she is perhaps decided to mark the nest s so no intruders will come. (odds are the dog doesn't mind the scent... If the animals are interacting normally, I would bet that your cat believes she was helping.) In cat terms this would be a loving and stress reducing thing to do for a fellow queen cat. She's guarding you.

Now of course it is not human acceptable, but you might approach it from her view. Maybe if the dog pillow were a bit further from your nest (bed) it wouldn't be a target. It is also very usual for cats to seclude themselves when they kitten. Sometimes qqueens that are close will share a nest (as I bet your cat feels you are doing), but it will be in understood behavior to her, if you start not letting the other's in your nest until you have your baby.

Watch for behaviors that show any insecurity on the animals parts are try to be supportive yet firmly alpha. You are feeling stressed and emotional and your troopers are doing what in animal terms would help.... (I've had things like this happen when relationships went bad and my guys were guarding me. Some of this also has happened when I fostered tiny baby cats and my guys got maternal and paternal....Also when one is sick or aging and they colony reaxts.) It is a temporary thing. Your household will rebalance itself. Im my experience, my animal have always treated babies of all species that were under my care as belovd and protected creatures.

Try to be gentle with yourself.... good luck.

Kfamr
09-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
That was my train of thought. She loves laying on her beds when she chews her bones and it's where she sleeps once she has enough of getting kicked by Josh and I at the bottom of our bed each night. She loves it. She's always had a big pillow bed ever since I got her. I know that just not getting another one is the simple answer... but yeah - I thought what Kay thought - poor Samantha shouldn't be punished because two of my cats all of a sudden decided they wanted to pee on it... <shrug>

Yeah, my dogs would HATE being without a bed. A lot of times even if they have enough room it gets too hot for them to be in bed with one of us, so they simply move to their comfy dog beds.
Whenever I get out Greenies or rawhides each one of them knows that it's time to run to their beds and wait there until I give them their bone. That's where they sleep, that's where they get special treats, and often times if they aren't right behind me I can find them laying in their beds.

just me
09-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Dont they sell extra large protective pillow covers?
There made out of plastic, or Vinyl?
Im sure they do. Maybe putting a cover on would protect
the pillow. You can always wash the pillow case.
I just dont feel that samantha should lose her bed.
Just me...:)

popcornbird
09-24-2005, 12:48 PM
How about this? Get rid of Samantha's bed, and get her something.....different? Something different to sleep on that the cats wouldn't recognize as the same thing. Put it in a different place too. I don't think a dog or any animal would have the NEED of having a 'particular' type of bed. Would it bother her if you got something different?

Kfamr
09-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I was going to mention maybe a raised dog bed, Something similar to http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4622&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=408&iSubCat=409&iSubSubCat=413&iProductID=4622 However, I know Jaime is on a tight budget and as you can see it really isn't all that cheap especially if the kitty still has problems with it afterwards.

Samantha Puppy
09-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Kay's right. With the baby's arrival getting nearer and nearer every day, Josh and I barely have enough money to do anything - muchless "test" a new kind of dog bed that Kimi could still very well soil. *I* couldn't even afford the new bed Kimi soiled yesterday - my mother had to get it for me/Samantha. Unfortunately, oversized pillow beds is about all we can do right now... though at the moment, Sam will have to do without one as I can't spend that much on something that isn't an absolute necessity AND I'm not about to ask my mom to pony up $40 more...

jazzcat
09-24-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry you are having this problem. I wish I new something that would help. I went through something similar with a cat we fostered for a few weeks. The rescue let us foster her as a trial basis for adoption. It didn't work out for several reason but mainly because she decided bedding was to be marked with her pee. She first peed in the middle of a papasan chair that Ripley used to sleep in all the time, then she started peeing on Disney's blankets in her dog bed and then she peed in the middle of our bed. I took her to the rescue's clinic to be tested for a UTI but it was negative. I tried keeping her in the guest room for a few days to "retrain" her on the litterbox and it went well but as soon as I let her back out she headed straight for Disney's bed and peed it in. She was also very dominant with Ripley and Disney (my only other pets at the time). She scratched poor Disney on the nose.

After talking to the rescue group we decided she may need to be an only cat so I returned her. She was adopted a few weeks later and it worked out well.

I'm by no means saying you should rehome your kitties, I'm just saying I can understand your frustration. I hope you can get it resolved soon.