PDA

View Full Version : I am up to my eyeballs in wet cats.

jenluckenbach
09-22-2005, 08:17 PM
The vet suggests bathing ALL cats that came in contact with Pumpkin (who has ringworm) with a special shampoo.....once a week for FOUR weeks. :eek: Does anyone know how many baths that will be??

I came home and first bathed Pumpkin. Then Rutherford, then Lucas, then Monte and I am now on Jim. there is NO WAY I will get them all done in one day. :(

Who wants to come bathe cats???

Jessika
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
After my last encounter with a cat and water, I vowed NEVER to do it again.

You're a braaave soul!

catnapper
09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
((HUGS)) Jen. I'll come help you.

catmandu
09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
DO WE GET BANDAGES,AND FIRST AID,HANDLING CATS,THAT DONT KNOW US?
I WOULD BE THERE,IN A SHOT,EXCEPT,I CANT EVEN BATHE,THE FOUND CATS,WHO LOVE ME.
GOOD LUCK,WITH THE WET CATS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos772.jpg

jenluckenbach
09-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Well, I only did 5, but I am tired. (It is not like at work where the tub is at waist level, you know!!)

I will do a bunch tomorrow and hope that it is OK to not do them all at the same time. At least Willow, Calvin and Bonnie will go to work to be bathed as I expect to have PROBLEMS with them :eek:

SIGH>

CalliesMom
09-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Poor you and poor them. I really hope you are able to contain the ring worm.

rg_girlca
09-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Oh Jen, poor you and poor kitties. Is there ANYONE who can help you with this dilemma????

MAJOR (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) going out to you my dear.

caseysmom
09-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I think it takes the ringworm a few days to take or whatever after in gets on the cat, so the vet is thinking to just kill it by shampooing with the stuff. I did the same thing but twice a week, of course I had dogs and a lot less of them than you do!

QueenScoopalot
09-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Jen, I haven't had ringworm in here for quite a while (knock on wood), but found that Program for cats (liquid) double dosed into a syringe, and into their mouths, worked very well for me along with topical treatment. I squirted the Program into a square shape container and sucked it up into 3cc + syringes, scruffed the cats/kittens, and put it into their mouth. It took a few hours to get the right dose into the squirrely ones, but I did it without help. I have sprayers that I got at Walmart in the garden center that I put a mild bleach solution in, primed the pump, and sprayed everything the cats could have come in contact with. I think it was 1 part Clorox, to 32 parts water that is effective to kill the spores. Nothing was bleached to the point of having to throw out, but as a precaution I pitched the area rugs anyway (cheap enough to replace) and bleached down floors before getting new ones. ;) Walls were sprayed, couch, etc. I had a major ringworm problem here for a few months, but somehow managed to get it out of the environment within a relatively short time...and not an easy task with probably 50 cats and kitten fosters, and keepers at the time! :eek: A carpet extraction machine does wonders as well! I LOVE the Hoover Steam Vacs (also available at Walmart...and worth every penny)!:) I have heard that shaving cats w/RW actually is NOT a good idea as it spreads the spores during the shaving process. :eek: :rolleyes: I've used a drop of Clorox on a wet cotton ball to wipe down small lesions in an outward motion to coat the fur surrounding the spot as RW works it's way out in a circular fashion. Works great too, but not around eyes!;) I sure hope that you don't have an epidemic, but it can be overcome....I did it.:D

K & L
09-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Poor Jen! Wish we could help you out there! Good luck with everything.

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Jen, I'm sorry that you're having to go through all of this.:( After my 3 furkids were some what exposed to Starr, I bathed them and just doing 3 was quite difficult for me. Then when Starr broke out the second time, I used the healing spray and sprayed everyone down. This was after I vacuumed and disinfected everything in my condo. Now I'm only spraying Starr every 4 days and so far so good.

Can Charlie help you or can you have a few people from work come over to help you? I hope that you'll be able to contain the ringworm. Good luck.:)

orangemm
09-23-2005, 04:35 AM
Yikes! That's a lot of baths!!

We used to do our 4 once a year and that was an endeavor, even with 2 of us.

If I were closer, I'd be there in a flash!

Lightning SuperCat
09-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Wow, that's a lot of baths with a lots of cats!! Prayers and ((((HUGS)))) to you that you get it all done and don't have zillions of scratches!! I hope that you get it all done and get the ringworm contained!

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Oh no, poor Jen :eek: :eek: . Nothing is worse than a mad wet cat.....:eek: . Good luck!!Maybe it would be good tp put on your swimming suit, and take a bath together?

trayi52
09-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Oh Jen, I don't know how you do it! The last time I bathed a cat was Grover, and she was only a little kitten. She scratched me up big time!

Willie:)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Oh Jen, If only yours were this easy....
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/bathgirl3.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/bathgirl.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/bathgirl2.jpg
As you may notice only Abby is getting a bath,as she loves it, But I would never think of putting Buddy in the tub....I wouldnt have any arm skin left if I tried:mad:
Good luck in trying to bath everyone...you will need it;)

jenluckenbach
09-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, I took Bonnie and Mickey to work with me today and they are done. I am about to start a couple before dinner time.

7 down and not a single scratch! :D (but remember, THIS is my profession!) ;)

slleipnir
09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Oh wow, seems like you have your work cut out for you!!

jenluckenbach
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Oh wow, seems like you have your work cut out for you!!
AH! What else do I have to do besides bathe cats for 3 days straight and then start over again 4 days later? :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
09-23-2005, 02:30 PM
:D How funny && but hey Jen I will come help {just hang on I am looking for my Wetsuit}.. Be right there..

jenluckenbach
09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
It's ALWAYS the girls, isn't it??? (LOL)

Kim (the most petite at 6 pounds) was a jumping bean.

But ASHLEY scratched me. NAW-TEE girl

Wow, only 6 more to go! :D Maybe 3 tonight after dinner and 3 tomorrow at work (my 2 most difficult to handle and who-ever is left)

And think after tomorrow only 4 days until I can start all over again.

:p

jenluckenbach
09-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Just finnished the last bath for today. 3 left for tomorrow.

Calvin :eek: (I have never attempted to bathe him.. he hates to be held)

Willow..will fight being in the cage..

Fern..

kittycats_delight
09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
WTG Jen...you are such a good meowmie...that had to be sooo much work. Good Luck with your last 3 tomorrow then breathe free for 4 days before you start again.

catnapper
09-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Say Jen, want to come here on Sunday when you're done and give mine a bath. Abby will give you a run for your money.... Angel will make you wonder if she's part snake :p ;)

Seriously... you're doing GREAT! If you need help, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about making my way up there.

jenluckenbach
09-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Say Jen, want to come here on Sunday when you're done and give mine a bath.
ROTFLMBO ...........no

If you need help, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about making my way up there.

It may come to that ;)

catnapper
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jenluckenbach
ROTFLMBO ...........no
I see space right.........................there ^ for a yes. ;)

jazzcat
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Well that sounds like a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

When Jazz had ringworm the vet never had me bath her but he did prescribe a dangerous oral med. I didn't know anything about it but when my regular vet found out he got very upset and had me stop using it. Apparently it can cause kidney or liver damage, especially in kitten. :mad:

Best of luck Jen.

jenluckenbach
09-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, this morning I did the last 3 cats. Fern was good. Calvin was VERY good.
Willow on the other hand would rather jump off a cliff than get another bath. He was let's say, less than thrilled.

I am afraid there will be no stopping this ringworm. Everything I read says throw away all cloth/carpeting. My entire house is carpeted let alone the carpeted cat furniture adding up to hundreds of dollars to replace. I simply will not just throw it all away. I will do the best that I can and pray. :(

Flatcoatluver
09-24-2005, 08:44 PM
i would of helped you, but hey you live so far away from wa

catnapper
09-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Jen, perhaps you caught it in time. Heather had ringworm herself last year. No idea how she got it or where, but we covered it immediately in the antifungal cream and nobody else caught it.

Anybody showing signs of it yet?

Soapets
09-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I can add my prayers to yours. There isn't a whole lot more I can do from here, except be VERY THANKFUL that I'm not in your shoes right now!:eek: :rolleyes: :)

jenluckenbach
09-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Jen, perhaps you caught it in time. Heather had ringworm herself last year. No idea how she got it or where, but we covered it immediately in the antifungal cream and nobody else caught it.

Anybody showing signs of it yet?

No signs yet, but I believe the time span is 10 to 14 days after exposure.....that won't be until Thursday the 29th or after.

I too am hoping I mininized the problem by spotting it with only 1 day untreated. (*crossed fingers*)

And the fact that I could have brought the ringworm home myself is the ONLY reason I am not raging mad about Pumpkin bringing it in. (You do know that normally he would have been separated at first, but he SHOULD not have been infected.....he was in OUR shelter!!!)