PDA

View Full Version : Q about Sirrahved's Angel - storm phobia!!

sirrahbed
09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Devon will be able to check PT later this evening - but for now she has asked me to post and ask for advice...

They are having bad storms this evening in Nebraska and it seems that poor Angel is terrified:( She is trembling, drooling and will not even eat. She does not want to get off the couch - so scared!!

Muffin is just fine and lays with Angel but she still is not comforted at all.

Do any of you have suggestions for Devon and Jason to try with Angel??

Thanks so much!!

Glacier
09-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Can she get some Rescue Remedy? I use it for one of my dogs who is afraid of thunder. It doesn't completely allievate the problem, but it does take the edge off enough that Pingo can relax a bit. I just fill up the dropper and put the liquid down Pingo's throat. If you have some notice that the storm is coming, it helps to give a couple doses prior to the storm starting.

Some dogs feel safer in a crate or confined space when they are scared. Pingo makes a cave under the couch, but a crate would work even better. A kong or highly prized, long lasting chewy helps too--gives some distraction from the fear.

Try not to coddle her too much. It will only reinforce the behavior. If acting scared gets her positive attention, she will continue to act scared. Her people should act like everything is normal, as much as possible. She will respond to their behavior.

Good luck!

sirrahved
09-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Her previous owners had contact info and I called them. She's always had storm phobia, but they never did anything for it.

I'm going to try rescue remedy. Hooman food, in combination with the storm subsiding, was enough to get her off the couch.

Is excessive drooling a common stress behavior?

Thanks, mom, for posting this for me!

Jessika
09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Try not to coddle her too much. It will only reinforce the behavior. If acting scared gets her positive attention, she will continue to act scared. Her people should act like everything is normal, as much as possible. She will respond to their behavior.

Good luck!

EXACTLY. Coddling her will only reassure her fear and show her there IS something to be afraid of. Tell them if she barks or slinks away in fear, tell her "NO" and don't give her any attention when she acts that way. It's hard, I know, because you just want to throw your arms around them and hug them and give them lots of kisses, but you can't do that.

Also, are there any children around who are also afraid of storms? If so, don't have her in the same room as them. Dogs feed off their owner's emotions, so if you are afraid of something, they will also be afraid of it. Likewise if you show no fear towards something, they won't, either!

I hope that helps you out a little bit.... and of course try the methods the others above have suggested! :)

Darla_6
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Debbie and Devon

My Maggie is like this and so was Bear-Bear I too would try to ignore it. Maggie either sits by me or goes under my bed. If I know it is going to be bad weather and no one is going to be home I turn on the radio and turn it up. Maggie just shakes so bad.

Ginger's Mom
09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved

Is excessive drooling a common stress behavior?

Yes it is. I am glad to hear that she was willing to try to eat something. Since she already has this fear and it was not addressed, your best bet probably is to try some Rescue Remedy. Once she calms down a little you may want to try offering her something she will find very hard to resist, either a treatsie (that she has to do something for) or a good game of fetch, so that she can start associating good things with the storm.

Jessika
09-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Darla_6
Debbie and Devon

My Maggie is like this and so was Bear-Bear I too would try to ignore it. Maggie either sits by me or goes under my bed. If I know it is going to be bad weather and no one is going to be home I turn on the radio and turn it up. Maggie just shakes so bad.

Try to make storms a "fun" event with your pups then! Sit on your bed and listen and every time you hear thunder or see lightning, get very excited! Eventually your pups will learn to see storms not as a scary event but something to get excited about!!

However I can see how this would become a problem in the future when every time it storms your dogs run around the house and are hyper or something all night lol

PJ's Mom
09-21-2005, 11:10 PM

:o

Bailey's not afraid of storms but she is afraid of everything else...the printer, paper cutter, hole puncher, fly swatter, etc. I always baby her to death because I feel bad that she's so scared.

Guess I've been doing it all wrong! :o

Glacier
09-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
:o

Bailey's not afraid of storms but she is afraid of everything else...the printer, paper cutter, hole puncher, fly swatter, etc. I always baby her to death because I feel bad that she's so scared.

Guess I've been doing it all wrong! :o

It's the hardest thing to do! When we got our first timid dog, I coddled him for months and Franklin made no progress. Then a musher friend told me to act like I expected Franklin to act. No more babying him, no more forcing affection on him ect. If Franklin wanted anything he had to come to me for it. I felt like the world's biggest meanie! But it did work. Franklin is a different dog now than he was back then.

PJ's Mom
09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
When we got our first timid dog, I coddled him for months and Franklin made no progress.

I do the same thing. I always feel bad because I don't know what she went through before she came to live with us. If she was beaten or neglected ( :( ) I want her to know Mommy's there to make her feel better!

I guess even dogs need tough love. ;)

Corinna
09-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Our big brave Dugan is a loud noise quaker. I just open the door to our basement with out lights add a radio and he calms down. Tim lets him in the office by his feet.
Merlin didn't mind fire works but thunder he was under the covers fast. (me too) I guess I'm just as bad so I understand them. Not much help I guess.