PDA

View Full Version : Spindletop Pit Bull Rescue needs help to get away from Rita

Pit Chick
09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Since Spindletop is in Houston and in the line of Hurricane Rita's fire, Leah is needing to get the dogs to safer grounds ASAP. On top of her shelter full of dogs, Leah has been making trips back and forthe from here to Louisiana taking dog and cat food to the shelters there and bringing back dogs and placing them in foster homes, breed rescues and whatever spare space she has at her shelter. Here's what is going on:

"Well, the HSUS is involved. Nuff said? If not, I will enlighten you. It is the biggest power freak fest over there that I have ever seen. The reason NOTHING is getting done, the HSUS and the ASPCA switch captain hats hourly. There are thousands of animals still on the streets and thousands still in LA shelters and that does not include the thousands they have shipped out to rescues and who knows which dogs went to which rescues....in a nut shell.....it is a huge mess and getting worse. Please see the excerpt below from a Rhodesian Ridgeback friend.

Sadly, out of these numbers, 80% are pit bulls and molosser breeds. I have never seen so many pit bulls in one place in my life.........that would include books, websites, etc. They are everywhere, thousands of them. Sadly, there is only going to be one outcome for most of them. A LOT of these dogs are owned dogs as well. I have been scanning as many as I can, evaluating them (many are obed trained) and just giving them a pat on the head, as that is all I can offer. I have hooked many owners with their dogs, but with their owners all over the country, it is a lost cause.

I am going back tomorrow for my last trip for this week. I had tagged some dogs, already have fosters for them and I am also picking up "Buddy" to reunite with his owner (see Buddy's story below, he was found at a MS shelter). I will be back on Thursday evening to start evacuating Spindletop. I am short 55 crates because of the displaced owned dogs I have here from Katrina, so I am in need of crates ASAP. So if you know anyone that can even loan one crate, I need it immediately.

If Rita reaches strong Cat 3 status, my kennels will be gone. So pray this thing stays on the mild side or just takes a left turn completely. I will not be on the computer after today as I am packing my things from my house as there will not be time once I get back from LA. If you need to reach me, my cell is 713-614-2410."

Leah

Also:

We are looking for a place to put the Spindletop dogs. The warehouse Leah usually uses will not withstand the wind.

1. Please, does anyone know of a warhorse of about 2000 square feet (or more) that could be used to save the dogs. The dogs will be in crates.

2. Spindletop is in need of more crates.

tatsxxx11
09-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh God. My heart just breaks reading this. Thank you and bless you and all those independent agents trying to save these helpless, innocent souls. I wish I knew someone, had some place, somewhere to direct you to:( You are my hero as are all of those doing their best to help these dear creatures. Please update when you can. Oh, I do have a crate...but how to send and to where? Would a financial donation help to purchase a crate? Might be easier and less costly...:(
Love, Sandra

Pit Chick
09-29-2005, 09:19 AM
A warehouse and extra crates were found. It took two days to move all of the dogs (like 150 of them), but everyone made it to safety in time. A plea went out on the radio that we needed crates and trucks to move the dogs with and at least 30-40 trucks and SUVs showed up with people ready to help. All we really needed was the extra crates, but are forever greatful to those who came to help. Rita made a turn and all we got around here was a lot of wind and power outages.

It just amazes me that people will leave behind 1 pet when a hurricane is coming, but we managed to evacuate 150 dogs.