PDA

View Full Version : Where's Maddie?

lbaker
03-15-2002, 11:36 AM
It occured to me that perhaps we should start a new thread for Maddie rather than continue under "where's auggie?". That question has been answered and now it's Maddie's turn. At least in my opinion. This is a hot thread and it may be possible to overload it, although I am a bear of very little brain when it comes to that stuff. Laurie

Logan
03-15-2002, 11:55 AM
I'm afraid to stop the momentum right now, Laurie, although at some point, it probably will move here. Maybe once Sara has Maddie in her posession, we can move it over here and figure out how to find her "forever" home from this thread. :)

lbaker
03-15-2002, 12:00 PM
You are right of course, let's wait and see what Sara/Edwina can do...I'm so worried :( yet hopeful.

Edwina's Secretary
03-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Maddie has gone to her new home!!!! She was adopted yesterday!!!

wolflady
03-15-2002, 12:40 PM
:D :D Is there any way we can find out who adopted her?? I really think it would be neat to send some cards to Maddie at her new home. Wouldn't the owners be surprised!!:eek: :D :cool: Little do they know how much one dog has touched the hearts of many across the US and worldwide!! Wow!:D

AdoreMyDogs
03-15-2002, 04:54 PM
I will miss Maddie alot. I was touched by her spirit, and I've never even met her. I think that everything happens for a reason, and I am thinking that someone must have really needed Maddie, and that is why she had to find a new home. I think Maddie will be just fine and all will be well. Love you, Maddie.
-Leslie & Graham

Sudilar
03-16-2002, 08:50 AM
WHAT WAS GOING ON HERE?????

I just NOW read the post about Maddie under the Augie thread. I stopped checking that post after the beginning of the thread and missed the whole Maddie story. I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that I live near them!!!!!! Why didn't anyone let me know that there was a problem?? I could have sprung her from the shelter as soon as she was put in there. I was unaware of the problem. I could have helped! I feel really bad that I could have done something, but I didn't know about it. If something like this ever comes up again (heaven forbid), please post about it in Rescue, please. I never would have thought to check the Augie story. I ALWAYS check rescue threads!

So very, very glad that Maddie has found a home. So very sad that I missed a chance to help out.

Sue

Karen
03-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Sue - I thought I emailed you! But very soon, it turned out that Maddie had a home already! Happy endings all. :)

Sudilar
03-16-2002, 09:25 AM
No, Karen, I didn't get an e-mail. I went back and checked. I am so sorry that all this had to happen. I could have solved it in an instant!!!! I can't believe I missed the chance to help out! I am so upset. HOWEVER, at least it turned out for the best because Maddie has found her forever home. I WAS SO CLOSE! Maybe only 30-45 minute drive from home. If something had happened to Maddie, I could NEVER forgive myself for not checking that thread. I just thought that the thread was continued discussion like the beginning of the thread. I never thought for a moment that Maddie was in need of rescue!!

tatsxxx11
03-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Dear Sue, I had no idea you lived near by! You are one of the true heroes of Pet Talk. Though you are a woman of few words, there is NO mistaking the depth of your devotion and your love, for dogs; especially those in need. You and Aly both wished so badly to help; you to "spring" her and Aly to adopt her.:) Wouldn't that have been a team! We all know that you would have been there in a flash, had you known. And Aly had already been shopping for toys and even enrolled Maddie in obedience class! But, I have the feeling that somehow, in those last, few frantic hours, as we scrambled for answers, Maddie knew just how loved she is. And although neither of you in the end got the chance to show your love, I truly believe it was the powerful, loving force of people such as you and Aly and Sara and Phred and EVERYONE who jumped in, that sent Maddie a miracle! It makes me sad too that she is no longer a part of the Pet Talk family. How special THAT would have been. But she will always live on in our hearts, and those precious photos!! Thankfully, Maddie is out of that shelter and (paws crossed) in a loving home. Hopefully, as they promised, Phred will be notified if Maddie is ever returned. I understand how you and Aly feel. It's a little bittersweet. Thank you dear friend. You are a treasure.:)

Logan
03-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Amen, to everything you said so beautifully, Sandra. Sue, I hate that you didn't get Karen's email, but you know, it would have been too late anyway, if Maddie was adopted on Thursday afternoon as the shelter director said. We didn't get into full action until Thursday afternoon and Friday.

My prayers are with Maddie. I hope she found her forever home, as I hope all my little passengers will from today's transport. :)

Sudilar
03-16-2002, 04:59 PM
I just feel that I could have helped get Maddie to Aly. Why, oh why, didn't I check into that thread further.... I never thought that a dog of ours (Pet Talk) would end up in a shelter, I guess. I feel horrible. Like I had my chance to make a difference and in so doing help Aly, too. I blew it. With all my attempts at any more rescues after Killi and Shi, I seem to be just missing the boat.

If something should go wrong with the adoption, let me know right away and we will work out a plan. Aly, since I am such a believer in fate, it just wasn't meant to be. Fate is how I ended up with Killian instead of that Great Pyr and also Shiloh. So look ahead for the future, things will work out for the best. Those people who adopted Maddie probably will really love her to pieces!

lizbud
03-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Sue,

Believe it or not, but I just became aware of the "Maddie"
situation this morning. I thought I was the only one "out
of the loop", couldn't believe all that had happened. Reading
thru all the "where's auggie" posts, people kept asking who
lived near the Chicago Shelter & I'm thinking I do, I do.
After reading about Maddie and seeing her picture so often
I feel a closeness to her, just as I do with all the other Pet
Talk furkids and would do whatever I could to help any one
of them. Stopped reading the old thread, after the "lovey-
dovey stuff.( No Offence to anyone). I would just rather read
about the four legged kind of animal. I hope Maddie is happy
wherever she is and maybe her adopters will let us all know
about how she is doing sometime soon.

Sudilar
03-16-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Sue,

Stopped reading the old thread, after the "lovey-
dovey stuff.( No Offence to anyone). I would just rather read
about the four legged kind of animal.

Same reason why I stopped reading!!

Cinder & Smoke
03-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Let's all look at the *Bright Side* of this ~

We're pretty sure Maddie got out of this without too much ruffled fur (more on that later);
AND we got a great opportunity to practice our *skills* at "Rescue by Computer"!

I'm positive that one of these dayz - we'll actually pull off a real honest-to-gosh Pet Talk Rescue - complete with a ground assult by Karen's Cavalry followed by an airlift by the PT Air Force :cool:.

These Rescue Missions require planning and deployment skills that take time and practice to hone to perfection - Maddie provided us with a good "Drill" to hone those skills! Just like a Fire Department - ya gotta practice to be good when the real opportunity presents itself. :D
It was a good drill, Troops ~ We're better prepared for the next one!

Now; back to Maddie ~
Just got this e-mail from Debbie, the Manager at Maddie's shelter (South Suburban Humane Society):

Saturday @ 1:30 PN CST
Hi John,

I have contacted Maddie's new owners & asked them to contact us. I will give them your email address & explain about how interested you all are in her. I was also hoping they would either send us pictures or bring her back here for us to take pictures of her & the new family. I will email them to you also.
I went on to your web page yesterday, how wonderful that you get so involved with the animals. As soon as I hear anything, I will contact you.

/s/ Debbie

I'll provide follow-ups as they arrive. :)

delidog
03-16-2002, 08:16 PM
phred...was debbie from the shelter writing to you??? or was it a copy of a letter sent to someone else????? i didn't know if your real name was john?!?!?!?! not phred?!?!?!(i feel a blode joke coming on!!!)....i hope that you get a positive respone....and even better some photos!!!!!!! my heart goes out to dear maddie....i hope that all this upheavel in her life is over once and for all...even though i am sorry that aly didn't get to take her!!!!! sounds like she is in good hands!!!!

sammi
03-16-2002, 08:20 PM
Oh Phred! That is great news!!!!!! I thought we would never find out anymore - this is just great and I can't wait if they send any pictures.
Could it be that Maddie ranked a little higher at the shelter after you and Logan & others called about her? Maybe they thought "hey this dog must be something special for people calling from all over about her". Thank You!:p :p

Karen
03-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Phred, so glad we'll be kept "in the loop" through you and the nice shelter lady! :) Wonder if she told those people how many prayers they were answering just by adopting one little dog! :)

aly
03-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Sue - I'm so sorry. I thought about emailing you but I didn't want to bother you because I thought it might be too much for Killi. I emailed every rescue group under the sun to ask them to go get Maddie for us. But that was before I knew exactly where she was so no one was really willing to help. I'm so sorry I didnt' notify you. Don't blame yourself please! Its a lot more my fault because I knew about it and didn't ask you for help :( I can't help but think that she would be curled up in my bed right now if I had just acted faster. Oh well, as long as she is safe and happy.

Phred, I was actually going to suggest we contact the shelter to give the new adopters one of our email addresses so we can get in touch with them. Guess you're one step ahead of me. Thanks for posting that.

I am still heartbroken about Maddie and I keep looking at this big dog bed I bought. I agree though that it was fate and I KNOW I'll find another one who may need me more :(

By the way, I'm taking one of our long time shelter residents through obedience now since I'm already signed up.

Dixieland Dancer
03-17-2002, 06:17 AM
I am glad to know all you wonderful people! It is amazing how this thing called the internet connects us all like we were just next door!

Aly, You will find the next addition to your house when the timing is right. The Bible tells us that "all things work together for good to those who love the Lord..." Romans 8:28 When things don't always make sense I find myself relying on this promise of God's. He has never let me down so far and I'm sure he has plans for you too that you just can't see yet. Keep up the good fight. You won't regret it in the end.

I'm glad you will be taking obedience classes with the shelter dog. I find obedience work very theraputic!

Stenograsaurus
03-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Phred, thank you so much for posting that e-mail. I felt a huge weight being lifted off of me when I read it. That was the first time that I felt that Maddie would be okay and is in a good home. Oh, I hope the new owners contact Debbie. Woulnd't it be wonderful to have Maddie's new owners as members?

Sudilar
03-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Aly, it seems to really be fate because no one at Pet Talk would have been able to get an e-mail through to me. Karen was able to clear up some type of "technical difficulty" that had me in e-mail limbo. I will now be in contact and at the ready in case I should be of assistance in the future.

Hang in there, Aly, the right dog will come along. I know it will happen.

Sue

mugsy
03-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Would someone please explain to me exactly what happened with Maddie?? I've missed the whole thing somewhere along the line. I stopped reading the auggie thing for the same reason that liz did, so I obviously lost something in the translation. Sorry for being so ditzy here.

lizbud
03-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Mugsy,

I spent 1 hour going thru all the old posts on the
"where's Auggie" thread only after I saw the "where's
Maddie" thread. It seems to be very complicated, if
you can wade through all of those older posts it might
explain itself a little bit. I just think that Maddie is o.k.
now and she was the focus of concern. Liz.

delidog
03-17-2002, 08:42 PM
hey guys!!! go to pet general!!! visit to dog show....edwinas' secretary ran into a rep from the shelter where maddie was incarcerated....sounds very positive!!!!! we all love maddie and thank edwinas' secretary for all her efforts and continuing follow up!!!;) :)

mugsy
03-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Ok, I give up....where's auggie doesn't exist anymore as far as I can tell, I will be happy to know that Maddie is in a good home now.

Stenograsaurus
03-18-2002, 08:42 AM
If this works, this is where it starts.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8528&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

You know, everything happens for a reason. God works in mysterious ways. Maddie was apparently meant to be with this family. I just hope that her new family will check this place out and join and give us an update.

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Here's a random thought. What if we start a contact database with Pet Talkers names, city, state and phone numbers to contact in case of a rescue? That way we could be a bit more organized and contact eachother in case of an emergency. Some Pet Talkers do not check the board or e-mail constantly. We will also have a listing of who is willing to help and where they are at.

Just a thought.

Former User
03-19-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Here's a random thought. What if we start a contact database with Pet Talkers names, city, state and phone numbers to contact in case of a rescue? That way we could be a bit more organized and contact eachother in case of an emergency. Some Pet Talkers do not check the board or e-mail constantly. We will also have a listing of who is willing to help and where they are at.

Just a thought.

That's a very good idea!! Ok, I may not be help living in Europe, but I think you guys should really do a list like that! :)

aly
03-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Great idea Souraya, I'm game.

Stenograsaurus
03-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Put me on that list.

aly
03-19-2002, 11:03 AM
I'll volunteer to put it all together if you don't want to Souraya.

Some things we'll need to put: email address (or most reliable way to contact you), location, and what we're willing to do (ie: how far to travel or if we would foster, etc). We can email it all to one person so our personal info isn't in a public place.

Gio
03-19-2002, 11:19 AM
For obvious reasons :D I can't offer any practical help, but you can count on me if I can help out financially or any other way you can think of.

wolflady
03-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Count me in too!!:D

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Ok. I can compile the list.

Send me a private message with your name, city, statte, e-mail, and the best way to contact you in an emergency (phone, pager, e-mail, etc...). Perhaps you can list a major city close to you and how many miles you are willing to transport.

How does that sound?

sammi
03-19-2002, 12:48 PM
count me in

tatsxxx11
03-19-2002, 06:09 PM
I'm in!! Good thinking there, Souraya!

Crikit
03-20-2002, 09:29 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that I'm in Canada I would be in but well I can't really help with dogs in the states it's a little of my way. But it's a great idea

Angels3
03-21-2002, 07:17 AM
Thank you for the email about Maddie's new home, Phred. That's a great idea for her new owners to know that Maddie has many friends across north america & overseas.
That's a good phrase...'Rescue on the Net'. I'm so proud of my wonderful fellow Pet Talkers who are always ready to help dogs down on their luck.

Just out of interest, I'm part of a network of rescuers in Australia called OzDogRescue. People volunteer to be listed with the ways they can help with transport of rescue dogs. Go to this site & click on listing of volunteers (I'd tend to keep this info offline for privacy)

http://www.keywords.com.au/dogtransport/index.htm

People knowing a dog needing rescue can locate a rescuer by breed, by state or by organization at the main OzDogRescue site. Go to this site & click on 'Rescue people to contact.'

http://www.ozdogrescue.go.to

All the people who are involved in rescue talk with each other on an OzDogRescue mailing list. It's necessary to apply to the Co-ordinator of the OzDogRescue site in order to be part of this list. This gives privacy & focus to what's discussed on the list.
Many dogs owe their lives to this network & list.
Marie
:)

aly
03-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately that situation didn't allow for advanced planning, it was out of our control :(

I hope if any member is having trouble they won't hesitate to ask fellow Pet Talkers for help before drastic measures are taken.

mugsy
03-28-2002, 11:09 AM
I'm in, and I've sent you my info Souraya. Do you think we should start a thread making the option available to those who haven't read this thread??

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Molly, that may be a good idea. WOuld you like to post about our rescue list?