PDA

View Full Version : Petmate (watering fountain)

orangemm
09-21-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm sure some of you use the Petmate waterer and wonder if you've noticed what I have experienced recently?:confused:

When I replace the charcoal cartridge I always rinse it well and I rinse it when I do my daily cleanings.

I've used the thing for several years and all of a sudden there is a black residue in the water when it runs. Jeff said it was 'charcoal dust' and is harmless. I can dip a paper towel in the water and it clings to the towel and I can remove it, but I can't figure out why it's doing this all of a sudden. I've tried a new cartridge, but get the same thing.

I wonder if the company has changed something?

It might be harmless, but it looks nasty!

sirrahbed
09-21-2005, 06:40 AM
hmmm... I soak my filter (about 10-15 minutes) before I use it and yes there is some residue in the jar that first time - but I have never notived it otherwise. I only take the filter out the next time I change it - about once a month. The only difference I can think of is that rinsing the filter under the water might break up the crytals and make the residue? It is just charcoal but I would not want to drink it if that happened:rolleyes: My drinking water pitcher has a charcoal filter also - and I soak that one before I use it and get the same dust.

catmandu
09-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I JUST GOT MINE,LESS THAN A YEAR AGO,AND IT WORKS VERY WELL.
IS THERE A PLAVE,WHERE YOU CAN REPLACE THE FILTERS,MAYBE THE FILTER,IS NO LONGER GOOD,AFTER A FEW YEARS?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/BJ.jpg

emily_the_spoiled
09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I also soak my new filters before putting them into the machine. The one thing I have noticed with the last batch of filters is that the company seems to have changed them. The outside covering seems to be much heavier than before. I am actually having problems with them leaving some kind of a film in the part of the fountain where they sit.

Craftlady
09-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I use bottled water in our fountain. I dont fuss with the filter all that much since we use bottled water.

Lobodeb
09-21-2005, 11:03 AM
I have one of those fountains, but since Maggy has to stick her entire face in it to drink because of her little gorilla nose, it is constantly dirty, so I stopped using it. If anyone wants it, let me know.

kittycats_delight
09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
That is one thing I want to get. I haven't yet. But you know Debby :) if you really want to get rid of yours I will take it off your hands. :p

Lobodeb
09-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
That is one thing I want to get. I haven't yet. But you know Debby :) if you really want to get rid of yours I will take it off your hands. :p

I'd be happy to find a good home for it! Do you want to PM me with your address?

kittycats_delight
09-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Lobodeb
I'd be happy to find a good home for it! Do you want to PM me with your address?

Thank you soooo much. I have PMed my address to you. :)

((((HUGS)))) and Vixen sends head bumpies and whisker kisses too

Michelle

Jessika
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Charcoal is harmless :P

Have you REPLACED the filter, or simply rinsing it out and replacing it? If so, you may need a brand new one.

OR if you are using a brand new filter, it may have the black residue for the first day or so while the filter adjusts to being in the fountain but will stop after awhile.

Have you thoroughly cleaned the tank altogether?

orangemm
09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Maybe soaking the new filter is the answer. I change the filter every month and clean the unit thoroughly (dismantle the whole thing) every other day.

Yes, I know charcoal is harmless, but I still don't like the LOOK of it in my boys' water. And, I'll try leaving it alone instead of fooling with it.

You're right, I did notice that the covering is a little different than when we first started buying them.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I'll let you know how it works!:D

sirrahbed
09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
I also soak my new filters before putting them into the machine. The one thing I have noticed with the last batch of filters is that the company seems to have changed them. The outside covering seems to be much heavier than before.

Yes! I have one more filter as well as a brand new package. I opened the newest package and I can definitely see this difference. The old filter has a covering that appears to be much thinner and I can see the charcoal through it. The newest ones are whiter in color and thicker - I cannot see the crystals at all. So I wonder if they are using a new product inside??

Yuck - I would not want to drink water with black grunge either!:eek: