PDA

View Full Version : I lost my job today....

moosmom
09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
:( :( :(

The job that I loved so much is no longer mine.

I got called into the conference room with my supervisor and the General Manager of the funeral home. I KNEW immediately what was going to happen. As a matter of fact, my gut feeling told me months ago when they decided to divide the job between me and Kari, that this was going to happen.

They told me they were paying me through today (wow a whole $322.00!!! No severance pay) It's funny how this comes JUST when my benefits were set to begin.

Anyway, they told me that there were complaints (wouldn't go into any detail) and too many mistakes were being made (again, wouldn't go into specifics) and didn't see much of an improvement in my performance. How can I possibly improve if they don't tell me where and what I need improving in. I asked them to be more specific and they wouldn't.

I told them my brother was SO right when he told me they'd screw me over and I should start looking for another job. I told them they blew smoke up my @$$ for months promising me 40 hours full-time, then came up with this 4 on/4off scheme claiming it was still full-time. The General Manager broke in and said "Look, all this conversation isn't going to change anything, so I think it's best you take your stuff and leave." Nice, huh??

My brother was SOOOOOOOOOOO right. When I told him that my hours would be 4 days on, 4 days off, he said, "Those are NOT full-time hours! You'd better start looking for a new job now because they going to screw you Donna. You need to be prepared." I also told my friend that my biggest fear was that they'd like Kari ([personally I didn't trust her) better than me and they'd show me the door. My gut instincts have never let me down. I feel like SUCH a stupid failure!!!! 52 years old. Who the hell is gonna hire me????

So, that means no Tori (I already called Brenda and told her). My sobriety is at risk right now because I want a drink SO bad it's not funny. I know, I need to get to a meeting now. But I can't stop crying and don't want to babble like a fool in front of alot of people.

But tomorrow is another day. I'll go to the unemployment office and also the welfare office to apply for food stamps and then update my resume.

Thanks for listening guys. :(:(

caseysmom
09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I am sorry, I don't know what to say. I just can't see how they can do that to you with no warning, just out of the blue...that is so wrong.

I don't know your history with alcohol but it sounds like a drink would be the last thing that would be of any help, turn away from that and turn to your friends.

Jadapit
Omg, I'm so so sorry!!:( That straight up sucks and its so unfair. Please Donna no matter what dont drink.... Dont throw away your sobriety if you do you will feel terrible and it will only make you feel so much worse in the end! Do you have a sponsor you can call? I wish there was something I could do for you. I'm truly sorry. You will be in my thoughts....

catnapper
OMG... I am SOOOO sorry! Better things are coming for you. I KNOW it!

(((HUGS))) and please know people here care about you! We're here for you.

K9soul
09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
My heart is breaking for you Donna :(. It doesn't sound like you were treated right at all in this. If there were performance issues, why not give some warning?? :confused: You've had so much on your plate lately, that parking citation and now this. Please hang in there Donna. People care about you and are praying for you. I know I sure am! :) You'll get through this. I'm sure Kelly knows how it feels as she was out of work too, but I think now things are really looking up for her and they will for you too. Hang in there Donna. We're here for you.

Vio&Juni
09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I was always shocked by the way they hire people and fire them in the States. They would need to pay you two more salaries here if they'd fire you without no written warnings.

I hope you can get a better job, a full time job where they will appreciate you and treat you as you deserve.

prechrswife
09-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you.:( Like others have said, we're here to listen.

davidpizzica
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh, Donna! I don't know what to say! I think your brother is right. They kept on stringing you along with promises headed for a big let-down. BIG {{{{HUGS}}}} to you Donna!

Karen
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Time to call Connecticut again - busy season has begun at newspapers, time to push again for a job at your old place ... be cheery (acting, acting, my dear) and tell them you have a new opening in your schedule and would love to be given a chance to come home ...

You know, sweetie, that drink would make things worse, not better. Go file for unemployment if you qualify, have an ice cream sundae (better than a drink - last longer, no hangover) and snuggle the feline support group members!

davidpizzica
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Please, Donna, don't go back to taking a drink!! I'M HERE FOR YOU, ALWAYS! I love you, and I'll never stop! If you get too down, CALL ME!!

jackie
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Ummm, maybe you should see a lawyer? Here are some links for unfair dismissal
click here (http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf1.html)

and here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/individual/unfair-pl712.htm)

good luck honey!

luvofallhorses
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm so sorry. :( ((hugs))

jenluckenbach
09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I am so so sorry. :( And I know exactly what you mean about the "benefits are just about to start". That happened to Charlie already. Vague complaints just mean we can get another person in to do your job for less.

Hang in the honey, things can only get better from here.

PJ's Mom
09-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm so sorry, Donna. :(

Try not to worry about it tonight. There's nothing you can do at this late hour. Go get yourself really fatteningt to eat, like Karen suggested and start tackling life again tomorrow.

Good luck.

Laura's Babies
09-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Might I remind you Lisa (CCL) and her hubby went through this not terriably long ago because God had someything better for her that he wanted her to do? He has a plan and only He knows what it is so just wait and see what He has in the works for you.

Remember, God helps those that helps themselves so stay sober, so when it comes your way, you will be ready! Just ask Him to guide you where he wants you to go and He will. You are not alone, He is there for you and so are we!

carole
09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Hang on in there Donna, you have been dealt yet another blow, but you always pick yourself up and carry on and hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel and something better is around the corner, I know they seem like pointless words right now when you are feeling so low, but I just hope you don't pick up that first drink, be strong my dear, temptation is always just around the corner and set to try us, you will be fine, you have lots of loving and caring people here on PT and a very special friend in David who can help pull you through this bad moment, just lean on us and let us help you through this ok, here for ya too anytime.:)

jesse_3
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
This awful..(((((HUGS))))) Please, turn away from that drink, it won't do you any good. Just remember, you have PT and God right here for you, and there must be something in store for you..

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

CalliesMom
09-19-2005, 05:29 PM
:( I don't understand how you can be fired 1) without a warning and 2) without some form of severance pay. I guess it is a good thing they let you go because it doesn't sound like you need to work for a company that is so heartless with their employees. :mad:

lizbud
09-19-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm so sorry Donna.:( Sometimes when things appear the
darkest and we're most likely to feel so hopeless,God is busy
planning something new & better in days to come.Hang in there
one day at a time. You are way too much of a fighter to let this
get you down for long. {{{Hugs}} Liz. :)

DJFyrewolf36
09-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I'd say something, but it looks like everyone else has echoed my thoughts! God will bless you in your time of weakness, and God truely knows what is best. Trust me when I say that even though this looks like a major hurdle, God and your friends are with you to help you and support you!!

PM or IM if you need to talk...I'm here for you.

Ginger's Mom
09-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Donna, I am so sorry to hear this. They were always complete jerks to you, and you put up with so much. I am sure that you will find a better job than there. You will definitely be in my prayers.

wolflady
09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about this Donna. I really hope that something good comes up for you soon! Keep your chin up! We're all here for you!

**hugs**
Karen

moosmom
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, I'm here and still sober but crying like a baby. I called my brother to tell him. BIG MISTAKE!!! All he did was yell at me about how the people in Louisiana and down South were alot worse off than me. That's why I hate talking to my brother because all he does is yell. I told him how dare he talked to me that way and why can't he just talk to me normally. He told me to shut up and listen to him, then began lecturing me on how much better off I am than the people down South. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Now I know why he and my father didn't speak for over 15 years.

He asked me if I had anyone I could stay with for a month or so till I could find a job and I told him maybe. When I told him about my 4 cats, he went ballistic!!! "The f-ing cats aren't your priority right now, damn it!!" I'd like to see him say that about his dog.

I know what I have to do. What I WANT to do is put all my stuff in storage and come back to CT. I already called Brenda and told her my situation and that I couldn't possibly adopt Torie. Broke my heart but I know she'll find a great home.

Tomorrow my brother wants me to call him at 7:30 pm to tell him what progress I've made looking for a job. Like I'm a freaking 5 year old.

I'm calling unemployment and applying for food stamps (yet again!!!) and also going to see if I can start my part-time job at Bath and Body Works sooner than October.

My cats know there's something up because they're all over me.

You guys are the best and you mean so much to me. Thanks for being there for me. I love you all!!!

catmandu
09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I HAVE WORKED FOR SOME CREEPS TOO,BUT I THINK,THAT EMPLOYEES,ARE TREATED A LITTLE BETTER,IN CANADA,YOU WOULD LE LAID OFF,HERE,AS I HAVE BEEN,THEN THEY TELL YOU AS YOU ARE LEAVING,THAT THERE ARE NO PLANS,TO CALL YOU BACK,IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE,SAY FOREVER.
I WAS AN ALCOHOLIC,MYSELF,AND I KNOW,THAT THAT IS NO SOLUTION,AND IM SORRY,YOU WONT BE ABLE,TO TAKE TORI IN.

WE ARE PRAYING,THAT YOU CAN FIND A NEW JOB,AND THAT THE LORD,WILL BLESS YOU,WITH SOME GOOD NEWS.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture462.jpg

dukedogsmom
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't call your brother again. You don't need that type of "support" You've been wanting to go back to CT for a while now. Maybe this is a sign that you should do it? Good luck in whatever you choose. I think it's very dirty the way they treated you. I hope they get paid back for their mean behavior.

Daisy and Delilah
09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Donna, I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm no stranger to hard times for sure so I know how you feel. What kind of people would treat someone the way your former employer treated you? Talk about cold and heartless. It doesn't seem like it now but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe your life is meant to go in another direction. I'm 54 years old and I recently left my fulltime job for several reasons. I didn't work for awhile but I decided to go back because I need health insurance. I took a simple clerical test for my county, passed the test, and landed a fabulous job. Great pay for half the hours I was working before, great benefits, wonderful co-workers, and all around, I now have the perfect job. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. My co-workers and employers like me and I've already been offered more hours and more responsibility. I'm so happy:) Things couldn't have worked out any better. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't think that anyone won't hire you at the age of 52. You will be the more mature worker that is dedicated to her job and all employers will see that. Don't get discouraged. This is not the end of the world even though I know you feel pretty lousy right now. Whatever you do, don't take that drink!!! You need to be in control of your life right now and the alcohol would be controlling you. I'm certainly no stranger to alcoholism either. (((((HUGS))))) to you and hang in there. Things will get better. Please PM me anytime.
Terry
edit to add: I sound like a broken record, but I'm no stranger to bossy, controlling family members either. I've learned to go with the philosophy that: they aren't in my shoes and never have been, so how can they possibly know how to tell me how to run my life? I try to avoid those people whenever possible:)

Kfamr
09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm very sorry, Donna. :( I wish there were a way I could help you out in some way. Is there? Let me know.

joycenalex
09-19-2005, 09:26 PM
((donna)) nothing is worth losing your sobrierty over, and for sure this piddly wimp excuse of a job is not it. while there were things that were good, there were things you hated. please get to a meeting/call your sponsor tomorrow am., file your unemployment papers, get your food stamps and , in my opinion, don't call your brother, he might love you, but he cannot help you right now with his behavior, and you need to
take care of yourself emotionally. ((hugs))

cyber-sibes
09-19-2005, 11:16 PM
(((( hugs)))) Wow, that sucks. I know it looks dark and awful right now, but your HP must have something better in mind, hang in there. You know how this works, just keep doing the next right thing. PT is great, but girl, get yourself to a meeting and call your sponser. Feeling like drinking is not good. (((more hugs )))

caseysmom
09-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Your brother is probably worried about you and he doesn't know how to express it, still you don't need that right now.

Kudos to you for staying sober! I am sure it is not easy.

finn's mom
09-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Wow, Donna, I'm sorry that they treated you so disrespectfully. There's nothing worse than feeling disposable, I know that from very recent experience myself. And, I'm sure your brother means well, but, I would probably feel the way that you do in regards to talking to him. I don't tolerate anyone yelling at me, it shows complete lack of self control and I don't like being around that. So, I can see how that would be a drag to have to listen to. And, comparing your situation to the folks affected by Katrina is inappropriate...if he wants to get technical, there have been less fortunate people all over the world for a long time, and, it has and will continue to have nothing to do with natural disaster, in many cases. There are always going to be less and more fortunate people than ourselves, that's irrelevant. Again, though, I'm sure he means well. I truly wish you the best of luck, Donna, in finding a different job. And, staying sober, I know that has to be difficult to deal with in times like these. I can't imagine. I hope you have someone to talk to, whether it be a friend from Pet Talk or not. I'll be sending good thoughts...Kari

And, as a little ray of hope, my mother had to recently look for work past the age of fifty, and, she found a job. She actually was able to choose from a few positions, so, there's opportunity out there...don't lose hope.

shais_mom
09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
If I were you, I wouldn't call your brother again. You don't need that type of "support" You've been wanting to go back to CT for a while now. Maybe this is a sign that you should do it? Good luck in whatever you choose. I think it's very dirty the way they treated you. I hope they get paid back for their mean behavior.
That is exactly what I was going to say.
Don't call him and don't answer his calls.
I am so sorry for you Donna. This is awful.
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

NoahsMommy
09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
((((((((Donna)))))))))

I'm so, so, so sorry, honey!!! That place DOES NOT deserve you!!! They're total flakes and I believe with all my heart, they'll get whats coming to them. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree with the others...maybe there's something better for you that requires you to be free at the moment.

Is there a temp agency that can help you look for work? I've had a lot of luck with the one that got me the temp job I'm working this week.

Honey, if you need me, call me, OK? I PROMISE I'll answer the phone. ;) I'll keep my cell on at work tomorrow, OK? Actually, I'll call you at my lunch break, OK? It'll be around 12:30 my time, so 3:30 your time?

Please try very hard to stay sober. Please get to a meeting as soon as you can. You need that support right now.

I'd also advise against talking to your brother right now if he's going to continue to act that way. While there are people that have it a lot worse, you still have bad news and deserve love and support.

Love ya,
Kelly

((((hugs)))))

krazyaboutkatz
09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Like everyone has already said, things will get better and god must have other plans for you. Please don't take a drink and I wouldn't call your brother back either because you don't need to be treated like this. We're all here for your support. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Corinna
09-19-2005, 11:37 PM
I think I missedsome think a while back. Didn't you have a chance to look in to a job back home and interveiw for it on your trip or am I confused?
I'm sorry about the bad behavior on the part of your boss. There is something better out there for you.

trayi52
09-19-2005, 11:57 PM
So sorry to hear you lost your job. What a jerk your x employer was to you. That was really a crappy way to be treated, and then your brother to yell at you too while you are down makes it even worse!

Donna if there is anything at all that I can do, please let me know, in the mean time, I will be praying and sending good thoughts to you.

Willie:(

K9karen
09-20-2005, 12:02 AM
OMG! I feel horrible! Not only were you fired so unprofessionally, but your brother isn't any help. I can understand about at least having something while the people from Katrina don't, but you have your own situation. You'd think he'd try to comfort you. I was also "laid off" without proven reasons. Turns out the office is closing anyway and went down the tubes after I left, so I believe there's a reason for everything. And PLEAASE! I also have to reiterate..52 is NOT old! I'm 54 and I'm determined to find a job when I recover. We are experienced and mature with good work habits. We're from the old school. Plus, it's against the law to discriminate against age. Now you must stay sober, cry and cry (good therapy) and then decide that you're going to find a better job! I agree with Mayor K..call your old job in CT. Maybe this is a sign that you should. You loved it and were happy there. I don't know you well, but if you want to PM or email me (see my profile), please don't hesitate. Send me your phone number and I'll call you. Please talk to your friends here at PT. We wouldn't offer if we didn't want to help you. And you don't have to talk to your brother. If he knows everything, let him offer to help you out. You're right, you aren't 5 years old. Remember...*pleads on bended knee* contact one of us!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-20-2005, 02:18 AM
(((((HUGS))))) Donna.

Hang in there - something good has to come of this. Do what you need to in the interim (food stamps etc) to keep a roof over your head and food on the table, and focus on finding a MUCH BETTER job with people who will treat you with the respect you deserve.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-20-2005, 04:20 AM
It's THEIR loss - one day you will look back on this from your much better job and realise that you had a lucky escape! In the meantime you are surrounded by friends who want to help in any way they can. Good luck for the future - it will be good

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Oh no, Donna, this is terrible, being fired this way....! You certainly did NOT deserve this! That boss ST..KS :mad: :mad:

Don't give up, please, you will find something better, I just know it :)

ramanth
09-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh Donna, I'm so sorry. :( I agree with others. You don't need that kind of 'support' from your brother right now.

I'm sorry those jerks did that to you. :( :(

*HUGS*

mina'smomma
09-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Donna check your messages hun.

Again I'm so sorry for what those idiots did to you. They don't deserve your time or talent. Keep your chin up hun. We still love you.;)

moosmom
09-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Well, I survived the night drinking Country Time Pink Lemonade straight up, crying buckets while hugging my main squeeze MooShoo (none of my cats would leave my side). I wasn't crying over losing my job (well maybe a little ), but it was mostly because of the way my brother treated me. Do I plan on calling him tonight??? **** no!! I don't need a second round of self-esteem bashing. My brother, who CLAIMS he got all his money from his hard work (he inherited over a million dollars cash plus stocks and bonds and a home with all the contents from my aunt) can kiss my royal american @$$. I've never asked him for anything. I will NOT be spoken to that way ever again!! I should have hung up on him. My SIL said, "Now you know why we're not married anymore." She and her SIL, you guys and all my friends have been so much more supportive of me than he could ever be. For that I am greatful.

Time to move on. Gotta go update my resume and search the job market. Thanks again for all your wonderful support. I'd be lost without you guys!!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by moosmom

Time to move on. Gotta go update my resume and search the job market. Thanks again for all your wonderful support. I'd be lost without you guys!!

Good for you!!! Won't say anything about your brother - cos he is still your brother ;) Good luck

davidpizzica
09-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Well, I survived the night drinking Country Time Pink Lemonade straight up, crying buckets while hugging my main squeeze MooShoo (none of my cats would leave my side). I wasn't crying over losing my job (well maybe a little ), but it was mostly because of the way my brother treated me. Do I plan on calling him tonight??? HELL no!! I don't need a second round of self-esteem bashing. My brother, who CLAIMS he got all his money from his hard work (he inherited over a million dollars cash plus stocks and bonds and a home with all the contents from my aunt) can kiss my royal american @$$. I've never asked him for anything. I will NOT be spoken to that way ever again!! I should have hung up on him. My SIL said, "Now you know why we're not married anymore." She and her SIL, you guys and all my friends have been so much more supportive of me than he could ever be. For that I am greatful.

Time to move on. Gotta go update my resume and search the job market. Thanks again for all your wonderful support. I'd be lost without you guys!! Donna, aren't you glad not all 57 year old men named David are like that?

Barbara
09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Donna, I am so sorry for you. I admire you because after falling- next thing you do is standing up. I hope that this ability more than anything else will help you to find the right place for you.

Vio&Juni
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Donna, you can do it! You can do it! [singing] :)

NoahsMommy
09-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Just got off the phone with Donna and she truly sounds good. :)

She has some good ideas for her future and is being very pro-active. YAY for Donna!! :)

(((((Hugs))))))

RICHARD
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
If you register with the PT Refferal Service you'll get work so fast it will make your head spin!:)

moosmom
09-21-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm doing better. I took today off from doing anything. I slept (that's part of my depression) in. My friend Kathy called and asked me if I could stay over at her house on Saturday and watch her animals. I said absolutely!!!! She told me she'd pay me $50. I flatly refused. She took care of my cats for 12 days while I was gone for nothing, getting bit and having a hospital ER bill in the process. I am NOT taking her $50. It's the least I could do for her.

I didn't feel like talking to anyone last night and my brother and daughter kept calling me. I talked my daughter Amy to let her know I was okay (she's worried me, my psyche and my sobriety). I assured her I'm fine. I completely ignored my brother's phone calls (after his 3rd call I turned the ringer off). I finally spoke with him this morning (picked up the phone when I wanted to) and gave him a run down of what I did yesterday. At least he wasn't yelling (must've been to early in the morning). I love my brother, don't get me wrong. Right now I just don't like him very much.

So that's it kids. I'm doing okay. I'm going to an AA meeting tonight but will be back on when I get home.

You guys are the best!!!