PDA

View Full Version : How often do your cats VOMIT???

christa
09-19-2005, 10:29 AM
And do they ever vomit as a group? LOL . . . seriously.

Josie vomited on Saturday night at around 11 p.m.

Brodie vomited on Sunday night at around 11 p.m.

He always wants to be just like his big sis . . . so I wasn't too surprised . . . or too thrilled.

YUCK!

Here's a new pic of my little "angels" . . . :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/christa_law/JosieBrodie.jpg

JenBKR
09-19-2005, 10:55 AM
What cuties! Mine vomit too - Belle more so than Katie, but she seems to get more hairballs. What's really gross is I think Roscoe ate her vomit the other day:eek: I call him my clean up crew, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. Mine have never vomited together though...that I know of anyway ;)

catnapper
09-19-2005, 10:57 AM
God, my house was vomit central this past spring. Hairballs everywhere I turned. I got some hairball management food and mixed it in with their regular stuff... and what a difference! Only once in a blue moon do I see hairballs anymore!

Cataholic
09-19-2005, 11:00 AM
How often? LOLOLOLOLOLOL...really, you should ask, "How infrequent?" I could at least respond with a shorter answer!!:p

lisalee
09-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I just love that picture of Josie and Brodie, so cute!! :D Yes, Sash vomits occasionally. It seems since he got older, around 11ish he started vomiting more often. He goes through fazes where he does several times a week and then he doesn't for a while.:confused: On average he vomits every 5-7 days. I think his comes from eating too fast because it's immediately after he gobbles his dry food down or sometimes I will find pieces of hair in his vomit. Yes, I inspect it since I'm a chronic worrier.

You might want to feed them more canned food if your not already, for some reason cats seem to vomit dry food more easily. Good luck!

lisalee
09-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Just another thought, you might want to give them some hairball gel occasionally. It seems like that has really reduced Sash's vomiting episodes too. I give it about once a week to every two weeks now.

lvpets2002
09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
:confused: MMMM well lets see Yardleigh at least once a week (she eats to much) & the other girls it depends on hairballs or not.. But will state I have many of early A.M. hours going down the hall to the bathroom & then there is that wet sqesh between the toes..:rolleyes: Then you turn on the light & they just look at you with those eyes of Whats Up..

lizbud
09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
How often? LOLOLOLOLOLOL...really, you should ask, "How infrequent?" I could at least respond with a shorter answer!!:p

Exactly.:) Not a day goes bye that I don't see it, find it some
place or step into it.:rolleyes: I never would have believed that
cats could be sooooo messy. Yuck. I honestly believe that dogs
are much, much cleaner animals.

Donnaj4962
09-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Okay, this may be a little more graphic than usual.... Tabby vomits much more frequently that Sashy. Tabby, however, always lets me know when she is going to be sick. She has this terrible howl-like sound that comes from the very bottom of her tummy... and I know it is time! She then makes the awful "dryheavish" sounds, and up it comes! At least I have some warning, and can move her, if necessary. Sashy, on the other hand, she is only 2, and has only gotten sick twice. But both times, there was no warning, and it was VERY projectilish! It was everywhere! Bless her heart. Both times, I believe, were a reaction to food that didn't agree with her. Tabby usually gets sick from a hairball or from eating too much grass. I live in a rental townehouse, so I am not too worried about the stains. I clean them as best that I can and we go on about our days! Sorry about the graphic descriptions! :eek:

PJ's Mom
09-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Pumpkin never vomits. Barclay on the other hand will throw up almost daily. :rolleyes: I guess he eats too fast, but we tell people he's our bulimic kitty.

CalliesMom
09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Whisper vomited several times last week; but we usually just get a vomit once every week or so. After getting them shaved, we haven't had hairballs..well, winter will be fun. :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Interesting question as I sometimes wonder how our puke rate compares with others :p

With the five cats - I never no idea WHO is doing what - but I will find a cold hairball every couple weeks. Sometimes there will be fresh food on the floor next to their bowls - once a month of so...I always figure somebody ate too fast :)

catmandu
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
THE FOUND CAT MEEZERS,VOMIT,A LOT MORE THAN THE OTHER CATS,AND THE MESS,IS USUALLY UNDIGESTED,WHICH MEANS,ATHT THEY ARE BOLTING THIER FOOD DOWN,AND THEN THROWING IT BACK UP.
THE OTHER CATS ARE MUCH BETTER.
THE THING I HATE,IS WHEN THEY VOMIT,INTO THIER FOOD BOWL,AS YOU HAVE,TO THROW GOOD FOOD OUT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture747.jpg

rkidsrcats
09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Norbert is known around here as "The Duke of Puke"!

He's got the most delicate stomach, then comes William (he bolts his food, gets into play mode and starts racing through the house and then stops to upchuck).
The other guys are few and far between - usually hairball related.

And Gary....I know what you are saying about doing it in the food bowl. Hate to have to throw out the good stuff with the bad, but no choice when it happens.

JenBKR
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
THE THING I HATE,IS WHEN THEY VOMIT,INTO THIER FOOD BOWL,AS YOU HAVE,TO THROW GOOD FOOD OUT!

LOL Belle vomits in Katie's food bowl, but never her own :rolleyes: What a smart kitty

Harmanie
09-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Jamie is the "vomiter" of the house. But he prefurrrrrs hidden places...........like my moms shoe.

jazzcat
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Ripley isn't called the "Puke King" for nothing. He tends to go in cycles where he will vomit several times over a week to 10 days and then stops for several weeks. He always and I mean ALWAYS throws up in three spots each time. For a while he seemed to be overeating and then turning around and barfing but he has stopped that since R&R came, have no clue why.

This spring Rumor got sick from a hairball and the vet gave me Lax'Aire to give her. I also give it to Ripley and it has really helped. I just ran out and bought some PetroMalt or whatever it's called in hopes it will work just as well. I try to give a little to all the kitties but especially my long haired varmits.

rosethecopycat
09-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Mr. Jones- only to get a hairball out
Snowy- regurgitates, throwing up a few time in a spell, then nothing for a long time
Bella- I don't know that she's ever vomited
Malfi- once in a while, when his tummy upset

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Poor little CJ was puking regularly for the longest time. But now that he's been taking the Prednisolone to try and get his diarrhea under control, his puking is under control also. Seems he must have an allergy to something and now that the Pred. is controlling that, his little tummy feels better all around. Now to find out just what he is allergic to.

Tubby used to puke at least once a month, for most of his life. Then it went to once a week and when it got to the point of once a day I knew it was time to take him in and have him checked. That's when they discovered he was in the early stages of kidney failure.

Peanut pukes quite infrequently. Considering she has the longest hair out of all three, it never ceases to amaze me that she doesn't have more hairballs.

Kfamr
09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Is it "normal" for cats to vomit often?? :confused:
I know Orion doesn't do it a lot, in fact, he rarely does. Does that mean he's NOT normal? :confused:

luvofallhorses
09-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I know they toss their cookies if they chow down their food too fast. :rolleyes: but that isn't that often.....I also am wondering the same thing as Kay(we posted at the same time) if it's normal for them to vomit often...:confused: :confused:

smokey the elder
09-22-2005, 10:16 AM
I get the occasional bolt'n'barf.:p Moby lets out this howl so I know when she's gonna hurl. I find occasional hairballs around.

JenBKR
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I honestly don't know if it's normal to vomit a lot or not, but Belle does it because she devours her food so fast you wouldn't even know she had any :rolleyes:

jazzcat
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Is it "normal" for cats to vomit often?? :confused:
I know Orion doesn't do it a lot, in fact, he rarely does. Does that mean he's NOT normal? :confused:
Kay - Ripley has always been a barfer and my vet says that some cats are just prone to it more than others, especially long haired cats. I have to be very careful with his diet. Jazz and Scout rarely vomit, just the once in a blue moon hairball.

manda_moo87
09-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Not too often luckily.

Squeekers went through a phase several months ago where she was vomiting furballs quiet frequently, but she's been fine the past while. Misty very, very rarely vomits. I think the last time I can recall her vomiting was just after we got her, poor baby, she was so sick...

felinefuture
09-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi all: This is an interesting subject! LOL I almost never find vomit from our two cats, and I feed a raw meat diet - I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Gayle;)

k9krazee
09-22-2005, 06:39 PM
My cats rarely if ever vomit...I didn't realize most cats do it regularly!

lizbud
09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
This thread has inspired me to go back to hairball formula
dry food for the kitties. I used to feed it before & there were fewer hacking attacks & gunk spit up. I only stopped because
of the cost. :o I bought a big bag of Meow Mix Hairball today.
They ate this before & like it, so the next few weeks will be a
test to see if they do any better on it.

felinefuture
09-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Cats should never eat a kibble diet - there are many reasons, including, a cat is not a natural water-drinker, and even when they do drink water, they can never drink enough to re-hydrate the dry kibble in the stomach. It's no wonder that they throw up!

Also, the grain content in the kibble is a BIG problem for cats, as they lack the digestive enzymes to digest grain, or carbohydrate of any kind. Also, the grain content upsets the Ph level in the oral cavity, leading to tartar build-up, and also the Ph level in the urine is upset, leading to struvite crystals and kidney failure.

Do we need any further reasons to NOT feed kibble to cats?

A cat is an obligate carnivore, and should be fed as such.

Gayle