PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber furniture

Pam
09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Anyone here have it? I am going to be replacing my furniture within the next couple of months and have been looking at the microfiber material because it is supposed to wear really well, especially in homes with pets. I am wondering if it is easy to clean. Occasionally Trevor will hack up a hairball on the sofa. :rolleyes: I would love to go with leather but kitty nails would slice right through I am sure because I have a couple of punctures on my leather recliners (actually they are part leather and part imitation leather). Any opinions on microfiber?

Lady's Human
09-18-2005, 09:11 PM
We have a microfiber livingroom set. The cloth is VERY easy to clean, which is important to us being as we have 2 munchkins, 2 cats, and a dog. The only problem with it so far is the cat's claws create pulls in the cloth when they get up on the couch. (Pippen doesn't jump anymore, he's close to 20 lbs, and he just climbs up)

catnapper
09-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Hmmm.. I've wondered my self. If its anything like my microfiber skirt, it'll be a hair magnet.

Pam
09-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks Lady's Human and Catnapper for your input. I would have thought that lots of people have this furniture because you see so much of it in the stores.

I hadn't thought of the possibility of pulls from the claws. I actually thought it didn't look like that would be a possibility. Hmm.....

Kim (Catnapper) it does look like fur would really cling, but I have one of those great little fur remover thingies (got it at Walmart) where you rub in one direction and it picks up fur and then when you rub in the other direction the fur comes off.

My question now.....does it come in orange or white!? :p LOL! Only kidding! I guess I will keep it under consideration but it might pay to widen my search. Thanks again!

Lobodeb
09-19-2005, 10:56 AM
We just bought a microfiber love seat and so far, I haven't had any problems with the cats' fur. However, this could be because I'm 6+ months pregnant, but I find it to be very HOT! I can only sit there for 10-15 minutes before I start burning up.

emily_the_spoiled
09-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I have a micro-fiber sleeper sofa in the family room and I love it. Yes it collects hair (but no more than some of my other furniture). But the hair is much easier to remove!

All my cats jump up, so I don't have the problem with little tears.

I would definitely recommend it!

Cincy'sMom
09-19-2005, 04:51 PM
We bought a micro-fiber couch about ayear ago and I love it. No issues with the dogs, although we leep a fleece throw over it most of the time just tobe sure. I have heard cats claws are worse on furniture then dogs, but no issues with the dogs here.

Pam
09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I have heard cats claws are worse on furniture then dogs, but no issues with the dogs here.

This is very true. Their claws are like little needles. :eek: I am feeling a little encouraged again reading what you all have to say.

Kfamr
09-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Our couch is microfiber.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/pbe29c3caf7a8fe767b2bb580a87a5484/f4997b7f.jpg
Our dogs like to jump on the couch and fly off of it while they're playing. It's gotten a lot of beating but the fabric looks really nice still. To get any slobber stains/hair off, we vacuum it and then wipe it with a damp towel.

Someone else mentioned it being very hot.. I agree. After laying on our couch for a while I burn up. Sitting on it is fine, but laying on it becomes very hot, even if it is incredibly comfortable.

We're actually in the middle of getting a new couch. The material has worn quite well, however, we've had problems with the back support ever since we got it. It was the show model and they don't make it anymore so we took their model. It really is a nice couch, we just happened to get a crappy one.

Lobodeb
09-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't see a couch. All I see is cutie patooties!

RICHARD
09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I saw this thread and now I know the answer to my problems.

MY mom had a recliner in her front room that holds heat very well..

I have a pretty strange metabolism myself so it takes me a few minutes to heat up that seat!!

It's strange because my mom will yell at me not to sit on the couch.....

If I sit THERE and move to the recliner the heat stays in the cushion.....it's the strangest thing

They are both microfiber materials...

They both are comfy and not too bad in cool or cold weather, but during the summer it makes it harder to stay cool..

I was wondering if microfiber undies have the same properties??

I am serious.....

Pam
09-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

I was wondering if microfiber undies have the same properties??

I am serious.....

How do you know that? Are you spending some time in Victoria's Secret these days Richard? :p Seriously, I never knew undies came in microfiber. :confused:

Kay that is priceless!!! Oh my gosh you take the greatest pictures! Your sofa looks very comfy and even more so with five dogs to snuggle with! :)