PDA

View Full Version : Females Who Make Frequent Stops!

Pam
03-16-2001, 06:56 AM
Anyone have a female dog who does two or three piddles while on a walk? One of my other female dogs did this and now I am finding that little Bella likes to squat a few times while outside. My Whitney, a standard poodle also, always had to piddle right over the spot where Ashley went. I always thought this was a "guy" thing. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited March 16, 2001).]

RachelJ
03-16-2001, 08:15 AM
None of my females has ever done this but awhile back we had a neighbor dog (female) who did. Maybe it is a sign of an Alpha female http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif like leg humping. My Hannah did THAT as a puppy!

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited March 18, 2001).]

ownerof3dogs
03-16-2001, 06:33 PM
My female Felice does that. sometimes she even lifts her leg like a male dog. I think it's that there just marking their territory.

shais_mom
03-17-2001, 10:57 AM
I could let Shaianne do her business for an hour before we walk and she still makes like 4 stops at least on our walk. I always think
"How could you have any left in there?"

Karen
03-17-2001, 01:41 PM
My family's first dog. Sheba, was a female stray who came to us as an adult. With her it was definitely a "territory marking" activity. She was the Alpha dog of the neighborhood, and led them on a daily patrol of more than a mile, and she lifted her leg to mark important stops.

carrie
03-17-2001, 08:24 PM
Dog psychologists have simplified dog behaviour to the point that we think everything is as it should be as long as our dogs behave to a sterotype. The truth is that our dogs really are wolves in the living room (Desmond Morris, I believe?) but we have simplified wolf behaviour far too much. There is nothing unusual in a bitch using her urine as a marking signal - as long as you have control you should be proud that your bitch is confident and secure.
Bitches that don't mark are equally fine as long as they are confident with the position they hold.
The absolute key to dog training is not a formula you can learn - there is no magic way - every dog is an individual, a new mind to connect with. What is unwanted in one dog is the very thing you try to encourage in the next.

Pam
03-17-2001, 08:33 PM
If I hadn't seen this in my other standard I would have thought maybe it was a bladder infection causing her to make these stops. Whitney used to be so ready to mark right over where Ashley went that I was almost afraid she would pee on Ashley before she was done. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Logan
03-17-2001, 08:37 PM
Mine, especially Honey, simply will NOT go on leash. Honey would hold it for days, I think, rather than going on leash. Lilly rarely goes when walking. But will when she gets out of the car from a "ride" with me, if its been a while. I had a male that marked EVERYTHING before though!!!
Logan

Jasper's Mom
04-16-2001, 08:30 AM
I took in a three year old female pitbull mix for eight months to work with her and give her a chance for a new home. She was sweet with people and dogs but wanted to be "top dog" over my two dogs. Over an eight month period I house broke her and taught her obedience, but she never took to walking on a lead without pulling. From the day I got her she always left several wet spots no matter where we went to potty. Often over areas my two dogs used first. I took her to an events area with one of my other dogs just after a Humane Society fund raiser pet walk while other dogs were still around, and nervousness made her wet dozens of times and poop several time to where she tried but nothing happened. Her previous owners had her for one year and said she had always done the same thing. Happily she is fine and very happy in a new home now. We miss her but the family loves her dearly and thank me often for giving her to them. And I to them for opening their home to her. She is the lucky one now.
An unusual thing to ponder, my two male golden retrievers do not lift their legs to pee, they squat like a female. I read in a book that it's a trait of goldies. My younger one, almost a year old, likes tall grass and will on rare occasion lift a leg slightly if the grass is high and poking him. Also, they do not mark. They go once and only once. It's great.

RachelJ
04-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Jasper's Mom:
An unusual thing to ponder, my two male golden retrievers do not lift their legs to pee, they squat like a female. I read in a book that it's a trait of goldies. My younger one, almost a year old, likes tall grass and will on rare occasion lift a leg slightly if the grass is high and poking him. Also, they do not mark. They go once and only once. It's great.

My Tucker, a cocker spaniel, is the same way, and I really do appreciate it.

*BaSim*
04-16-2001, 08:55 PM
My neighbors dog Norman (a cocker spaniel) squats like a girl dog. He does this because he grew up with a mutt named Pooter (now at the rainbow bridge) and he learned to squat!

KYS
04-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Yep,Yep,Yep!

My female marks as much as my male does. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif