PDA

View Full Version : Should I, or Should I not

Iluvbears&Gizmo
09-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I want to start breading my Shih Tzu Gizmo when he gets old enough. They problem is finding a female that doen't cost a fortune. Also I am not sure exactly what I would be getting myself into. Does anyone have any advise???:confused: :) Thanks April

buttercup132
09-18-2005, 07:14 PM
dont do it theres enough shitzu breeders out there already and not all find great homes , id advisse against it

Jamieejo85
09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Iluvbears&Gizmo
I want to start breading my Shih Tzu Gizmo when he gets old enough. They problem is finding a female that doen't cost a fortune. Also I am not sure exactly what I would be getting myself into. Does anyone have any advise???:confused: :) Thanks April

You said that you don't know what you would be getting yourself into. That right there should tell you that you shouldn't be breeding your dog. Please get him neutered ASAP.

IRescue452
09-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Once again I'm quoting this post. Please read through it. The last part is most important, the first part just shows some important points in breeding and contracts but is not so important.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

HI. I’M LOOKING TO BREED MY 3-YEAR-OLD PUG, JAKE. HE IS PAPERED, I’M LOOKING TO HAVE HIM FIXED SOON BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF HIS NAMESAKE TO CARRY ON HIS NAME. I’M NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF THE PUPS. PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME. MAYBE WE CAN TALK. MAYBE YOU CAN PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN. THANK YOU. GOSSIMER.

Hi, Gossimer:

This proposal sounds intriguing. I'm currently looking for a fawn stud for my BISS Ch Larimar's Stardust CD, CGC (BIS/BISS Ch Larimar's Chip of the Old Block ROM*** x Ch Jill's Win-Chimes of Lil Mite ROM***).

What line is Jake from and what is his linebreeding/inbreeding/coefficient? I apologize; but I'm not familiar with his callname. I'll need to know Jake's CERF, OFA patella luxation and OFA CHD certification numbers, T3 & T4 test results, number of occurrences of hemivertebrae, PDE, and cleft palate through the fifth generation. Just to be on the safe side, I'll need a negative brucellosis and bordetella licensed veterinarian certification from you. It's not a bad idea to get a VetGen phenotyping either.

For the future Get, I'll also need copies of Jake's titles and his AKC and/or CKC registration number(s). I'm especially interested in copies of his PDCA ROM and additional stars awards.

Since there's no stud fee involved, I assume you'll want pick? Dog or b###h? Will you be willing to agree to 1/2 the cesarean if the cause should arise? If the whelps are larger than 6 ounces at parturition, it will be necessary. This seems only fair. Last time I got a good break and it was only $500, but unfortunately that vet retired this year and the new owner has raised everything to almost double! It's hard to find a good pug vet!

Will you be doing a natural or artificial? If artificial, I'll need you to send the fresh chilled or frozen semen Overnight Express Mail. I'll be willing to split the cost; $500 should cover it unless you are on the East Coast, then I'll send $750. Please let me know where to send the check. I think it's only fair that you take care of the semen analysis expense since I will be doing the whelping and training. You should be able to find a Canine Semen Bank and Collection/Storage in your area. Be sure to get at least three straws. The last time I looked into having it done, it was about $900.00--a lot less than before since more and more people are doing it.

If Jake does natural, let me know which airport to ship to (if you are outside of CA). To take care of my dam, I'll need to have an overnight or early, early morning delivery time. Since it's getting warmer now, it's best to plan for you to pick her up after midnight. Even with a cool down mat you never know with these brachceapholoids (I probably spelled that wrong, but you know what I mean! . Be sure to take MC/VISA or cash since the counter-to-counter service does not accept checks.

Let me know after they tie three times and then I will let you know the return arrangements. She ovulates late, so she may be two or three weeks at your house. I'll get her to you by the tenth day just to be sure we don't miss it or she absorbs.

Double check with your homeowner’s insurance plan to see that it covers visiting matrons in case anything should happen. A BISS CH/CD/CGC should be covered for a minimum of $5K.

Since her cycle is so late, you'll need to purchase Solid Gold. I can't send enough in the crate. It generally runs $40 a bag. Be sure to get the Seameal, Pet Tabs Plus, Concept-A-b###h, and Red Raspberry Tea Leaves too. Also, she'll need 500 mg. of Ascorbic Acid, 200 mg. of Tocopherols twice a day with tepid water. Not too hot because she will grow finicky. Be careful not to give her A Palmitate since this can increase the chance of cleft palate and I don't want to have to cull. It's a good idea to give her organically grown-pesticide free calf liver. You'll need to prepare it yourself since she doesn't like pre-packaged brands. It's best to buy it in 50-lb. bulk and boil it all at once. Be sure to keep skimming the foam off every 15 minutes because she doesn't like it slimy. Bake it afterwards until it's a good baiting consistency then vacuum-pack and freeze it. The whole process should only take about 12 hours. In a hurry you could get it down to 10 hours.

You won't have to worry about splitting the vaccination costs for the litter. I give my own now and that will save you half of the normal $480 or so. You can help out with the title rebates if you'd like.

Your pick should be ready at 12 weeks. I'll let you know the whelping date so that you can plan the transportation. I assume you already own a Sherpa? That's the best way to go if you're out of CA, otherwise you can drive to pick it up--just bring along a Vari-Kennel.

What are your club affiliates? I don't recognize your email address off the top of my head. I'm DPCA, PDCA, and NCPC. If you're not PDCA, we can work on getting you your two letters of recommendation.

Well, let me know when you have all the necessary paperwork done. Also, please send me Jake's AKC certified 4 generation with coat colors and his best win shots so that I can make colored copies.

Warmest Regards,

Danielle M. Campi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's something I made up quite some time ago when someone asked if a breeder could make money off of 8 jack russel pups for $875 each:

quote:
Okay, let's see. $875 times 8 is $7000. Both dam and sire should be health certitified before breeding.
Hips - $30
Elbows - $25
Thyroid - $15
Heart - $15
Patellar Luxation - $15
Deafness- $15
Eyes - $17.50 (because initial registration)
That is $132.50 .

Tests for Brucellosis (disease of reproductive tract) and Bortedella (STD) - $60

$40 to submit DNA test results to AKC. DNA test - $15

Solid Gold vitamins for bitch - $40

Stud fee for a Champion dog can be as high as $2000. Let's say $1000.

Bitch must go to the vet at around day 30. Alot of breeders like to use an ultrasound--another $200.

$1000 should be put aside for an emergency C-section.

At around day 50, you have to take days off of work to be around the expentant mother 24/7 to make sure nothing goes wrong. If you have a 9-5 job and an hourly wage of $15, you will lose around $1500. Then you have to stay with the dog and puppies until the puppies go home. 8 weeks - $6720

At 3 days, the puppies will need their first vet check, and the mother will need a check too. Each puppy will get dewclaws removed ($50 per puppy -- for 8 puppies that's $400). Rat terriers have their tails docked ($10.00 per tail, that's $80). Vaccination for eight puppies, $70 each, is $560. Deworming - $400. Puppies may need to be tested for skin problems, coccidia, and parvo -- $1000.

The breeder will need supplies before all of this happens. Whelping box, whelping box heating pad, incubator, weight scale, indoor puppy pen, first aid, emergency supplies, dishes. About $1000.

Food to feed puppies for two weeks - $40.

Registration fees for AKC - $400

Puppy kit to be sent home with new owner - $20 per puppy, $160 for 8 puppies.

Kfamr
09-18-2005, 07:52 PM
You should not.

chocolatepuppy
09-18-2005, 08:01 PM
April, please get your dog fixed and adopt another Shih Tzu or Shih Tzu mix from a rescue or shelter if you want more dogs. :)

crsvstang
09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
No.

You should neuter your pup.

AllAmericanPUP
09-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Definately neuter your pup. He'll be alot healthier and happier

Flatcoatluver
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
yep neuter your puppy, we didn't neuter are dog before he turned one and he took off! so for all i know there could be lil. t.j.s running around, finally when he cam back we neutered him and never has left our house since!

WE HAVE A LOCAL Shih Tzu amazingly we live in a samll town, and they have over 50 purebred Shih Tzu and over 100 mixed breeds with Shih Tzu, please neuter

luvofallhorses
09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
You absolutely should not, get your dog fixed, PLEASE!

Suki Wingy
09-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Is he an exeptional example of the Shi-tzu breed from one of the respective breed club's standard? Do you have ALL that money to make sure nothing goes wrong? Are you going to find a bitch that is also exeptional quality? If you did not answer a firm yes to all of my questions then please DO NOT! GET HIM NEUTERED RIGHT AWAY.

Vette
09-19-2005, 04:09 AM
http://www.shihtzuandfurbabyrescue.com/

http://www.bluegrassshihtzurescue.com/

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/FL280.html

http://www.cstmr.org/

http://www.shihtzu-rescue.com/

http://www.shih-tzu-rescue-of-wi.org/

Hopefully that list changes your mind.
theres so many Shihies out there that need to be adopted

Pawsitive Thinking
09-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Too many homeless babies already - please don't add to the number

JenBKR
09-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Whew - IRescue452's post kinda blew me away. I didn't know what half of that meant! And the cost...I am going to go hug my wonderful mix from the shelter and be glad that I rescued instead of adding to the animal overpopulation.

Iluvbears&Gizmo
09-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Well thanks for all the advice. I know I don't have the money to breed dogs now. So I think I'll just try to find him a companion to play with.

katienoonan
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Personally I don't think you should breed your dog. Think about how much food, time and care that puppies need. Plus all of the doctor bills for your dog, if she needs a C-section or emergency care. Plus I would have to look into the people buying my puppies. Honestly if you don't know what you are doing and don't have a lot of money to spend on vet bills or have the time to spend with your dog and the puppies PLEASE DON"T DO IT! Thanks for listening.