PDA

View Full Version : Cat Paws

Ali's mom
03-14-2002, 08:42 AM
My little furbaby kitten seems to have excema (spelling?) on the pads of her paws. The dry skin comes and goes and she doesn't limp, but I would like to help her get ride of it.
My question is does anyone have any idea what I could put on it to make it better?

Thanks!!!

wayne0214
03-14-2002, 10:09 AM
lAli's mom, welcome to Pet Talk.

It sounds to me that she is walking in something that is making her pads rough. It comes to mind that perhaps a floor cleaner that is being used, sharp rocks or sand, is where she likes to go, could be the answer. Possibly even her kitty litter could be the problem. Also, is she an indoor or outdoor cat? This could make a difference.

I have generally found that a cat will lick off any type of creme or whatever can be used to treat the symptom, therefore, I suggest that perhaps is would be best to locate what is making her paws so rough.

Ali's mom
03-14-2002, 10:14 AM
She is an indoor cat and does not go outside. I don't use harsh cleaners on the floor. mostly just gentle stuff.
Maybe it is her litter, I use the crystal bead stuff, have you heard if that stuff is bad for kitty feet?

Gio
03-14-2002, 10:39 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

Sorry I can't offer any advice, the only thing that comes to my mind is that she could be slightly allergic to something.

wayne0214
03-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Ali's mom. No, I havn't heard of such a thing. Although, you might try something else for a verification test to find if it helps her paws condition. Since I use sand for my furkid's litter box, it is difficult for me to say whether a manufactured cat litter can cause such a problem. I'm sure there are others on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I am on this subject.

.............wayne:)

LoudLou
03-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Ali's Mom-

First- Welcome to Pet Talk!

2nd- Do you use anything on your carpet like "carpet fresh"? My Mocha Bean is allergic to that stuff... it would dry her skin and paws out. She also had this problem when we moved into our current house after the carpet cleaning.

Ali's mom
03-15-2002, 08:33 AM
No I don't use anything on my carpet....I am a vey busy student who works too so...my carpet is lucky if I vaccum ;)
but I think it may be the dry weather right now. I have been heating all winter and even my own skin is dry. So I am going to wait a bit and see if it gets better and if not then I will see the vet.....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi Ali's Mom, and welcome to Pet Talk. :) I'm a relative newbie myself and seem to have become addicted. :rolleyes:

If the air is very dry, you might want to try a small humidifier. Just one of those table top things that you'll probably have to add water to every day, or maybe just run when you're home. Even a little more moisture in the air might be better for Ali's paws, and sounds like it might be better for you too. ;) It's worth a try. i don't know how expensive they are in Canada, but I know you can get pretty cheap ($20.00 or so) ones here in the USA.

Good luck and let us know how she does.

yorkster
03-16-2002, 09:22 PM
I think some cordizone ointment/cream would work.