PDA

View Full Version : Mimi scared me!!!

Logan
03-14-2002, 08:14 AM
My morning started out badly. Mimi and I have a routine, always have (for almost 13 years now). She usually sleeps with Helen, sometimes me, so I didn't worry when she wasn't with me last night.

Butter woke me around 5 am, as usual. He was ready for a quick romp outdoors. I crawled back in bed for another hour, and when the alarm went off, I wondered "Where's Mimi?". She usually comes in my room as soon as she hears the radio. I got up, went hunting for her, and couldn't find her. When Helen got up about 6:30, she quickly put on her clothes and went outside to see if she could find Mimi. Butter came running to the "here kitty, kitty, kitty", but no Mimi. At one point I thought I heard a weak "meow", but then figured I must have imagined it. We looked under every bed, in every closet. You cannot imagine the things that were going through my mind. :( She's lost, she's sick, she's been hit by a car, she's run away, etc etc etc. By this time, I'm getting really worried, and a bit teary eyed, but not wanting to upset Helen, and needing to get her off to school, I went back inside, and called her name one more time. Then.......

Something made me open the cabinet under the kitchen sink. I didn't need anything from under there, I just opened it, and voila!!! :D There she was!!! Apparently, she went in the cabinet last night when I was taking out the garbage, and stayed there all night!!! Talk about mad.......she wouldn't even look at me!! Those eyes were solid black. She's making me pay for closing her up in there. I can't believe she didn't make any noise the whole night! I melted when I found her. Just collapsed on the floor and cried. Helen and I both love all of our animals, but this one is the most special to both of us. She's the Queen of my Castle and I couldn't bear to lose her.

I guess its ok now, and I'll bet she will not try to go back in the cabinet again! But boy, I feel as if I need to go back to bed and start over again!!! :)

Former User
03-14-2002, 08:21 AM
What a scary moment there Logan. I'm glad Mimi is okay, I know she must be mad at you know :rolleyes: but she'll come around. Eventually. When she feels like it ;)

C.C.'s Mom
03-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Oh Logan, what a terrible story! I'm happy you found Mimi again. They get themselves in real bad situations, those kitties.

Gio
03-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Logan,

I'm so pleased that all ended well. Poor sweet Mimi and poor you. I'm sure you were beside yourself with worry.

Gigio always had a way of sneaking in cupboards, wardrobes etc, so I always tried to be careful but someone else locked him in a wardrobe once when I was not in and he was there all day. He tried frantically to get out, I can't tell you the state my father's ties were in after that :D . Do you think he learned the lesson? No way.

From that day I always do a headcount before I go anywhere.

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2002, 09:23 AM
We have a screened porch off our bedroom where Edwina likes to hang out. It looks down on her Entertainment Center and the back yard. When it is not too cold we will leave the door cracked so she can go in and out. When it is dark it is hard to see her out there. Last Saturday we were going out. The door had been open but she had come back in as she was sitting with us downstairs. I told my husband I had better go shut the door before we left. I should have spelled it. When we returned home (hours later) I could not find Edwina ANYWHERE. Finally I opened the door to the porch and she came marching in using the filthiest language I have every heard! The names she called me!:o :o (Where do they learn this language?? Did Mimi swear at you? probably not -- she is such a lady. )

She must have heard me say I was going to shut the door and run up the stairs for a "last look."

It is such a panic when you can't find them. I'm glad you found Mimi (or as she tells it...released her!)

lynnestankard
03-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Oh Logan poor you - no wonder you fancied going back to bed and starting again!!
Course Mimi is OK - they always are:o :o After they've worried us stoooopid!!
Bagel did it a couple of weeks ago when she hid in a seldom used bedroom and was locked in all day and night, and it was only when we were going up to bed (very worrid 'cos we thought she was out) that we heard THE tiniest miaow and found her - such relief!! She was just hungry and quite unaware of the upset she'd caused.
By bedtime tonight Mimi will be back to her old self xxx

Lynne

wayne0214
03-14-2002, 09:59 AM
I have found that giving them something to eat, that they really enjoy, such as tuna or canned cat food, is the best way for any disgruntled furkids to forget all about our indescretions.

...........wayne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Oh Logon, so glad to hear everything turned out ok. Even though Mimi might be mad now, she'll get over it soon and then she'll let you know she's glad you finally let her out.

The only time I had a scare like this was a long time ago when Tubby was maybe 2 years old. I lived by myself in a small house, and I put Tubby in the basement all day while I was at work (he was still a little terror kitty and would tear up the house if left alone. He has mellowed dramatically with age ;) ). Usually when I came home everyday, he would hear the garage door open, then close and he knew the next step was for me to let him out so I usually found him right inside the door waiting impatiently for me. Well one day I came home and no Tubby by the door. I called for him and looked around a bit. It wasn't a big basement, and there was very little in it, so very few hiding places. I went upstairs, changed my clothes, putzed a bit thinking he would come up in his own sweet time. Well, he didn't. A trick I had to get him to come anytime was to shake the treat can. He would hear that and coming running from wherever he was. I took that downstairs and called for him while I shook the can. Still no Tubby. I was really getting worried now. I was convinced something had happened during the day - although I couldn't conceive of what that might be - and he had crawled behind some boards that were leaning against the wall and died. I couldn't bear to find him like that, so I called my boyfriend at the time and made him go down and move the boards. Well, sure enough he found Tubby who was looking up at him, squinting his eyes as if to say "what do you want and why are you bothering me?" He was just fine and had just been napping behind the boards and just never bothered to come out when I called. I was so mad at him, but still so glad that he was ok. And you know, now that I think about it, I've never forgiven him for pulling that stunt. ;)

Gio
03-14-2002, 10:26 AM
A trick I had to get him to come anytime was to shake the treat can.

That old trick often works wonders! :D

purrley
03-14-2002, 12:37 PM
PHEW LOGAN - thank goodness Mimi is OK. I've had this heart stopping problem also. One didn't have a happy ending either - I won't go into that, but I always count heads before I go to work and before I go to bed;)

Logan
03-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Mimi's attitude is fine now. She spent a good portion of the morning on my lap. :) I think maybe she wasn't as mad as she was upset. I guess I would have been upset too!! :eek: The cabinet doors are too heavy for her to have ever been able to open one to get out. You can't believe the relief I felt when I finally saw that beautiful face.

I figured some of you would have similar stories to tell, and I was right!! I'm so glad they had happy endings. (Purrley, I have one of those "skeleton in the closet" sort of stories too. I will never get over the guilt of losing Shrimp Boat the way I did :( ) Anyway, thanks everyone, for understanding.

Logan

purrley
03-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Logan - some day tell me about Shrimp Boat and I'll tell you about Meesha.

aly
03-14-2002, 01:49 PM
I've accidently locked Shiloh in a closet, laundry room, bedroom, and cabinet before. She lets me know AS SOON as I do it. She meows at the top of her lungs and shakes the doors, hehe. Thats the good thing about her demanding personality, I'll never lose her!! :D She has a habit of crawling into the fridge when I have it open and I'm paranoid I'll close the door on her one day, but I never forget to triple check where she is after I close it.

Glad Mimi is okay and back to normal!!

wolflady
03-14-2002, 02:13 PM
OMG Logan, that must have been quite a scare!! **hugs** I'm so relieved that she was found!

It kind of reminds me of the time Scooter got closed in the kitchen drawer without me knowing! I must have been putting things away, and he slipped in there when my back was turned. Later, I heard noises coming from it(and thinking I had rats in my kitchen drawers)I opened it...but still didn't see anything! It took a few times before I realized he was behind the closed drawer!:rolleyes:

Ila
03-14-2002, 04:27 PM
This reminds me of the time Samantha got shut in my husbands closet. She always liked going in where the door was closed to see what was in there. My husband & I was getting ready to go out for the evening and we were not coming back till the next day. My husband got into his closet not seeing Samantha ran in there. Yes, she got shut in. We were running around getting to busy to notice she was no where around. We yelled and told her we will see you tomorrow. We left!! We got back home yelling for her we are home come and see us!! No Samantha. I was really getting scared where is she. She made no noise. My husband was taking care of things opened his closet and there she darted out. She was so mad!! We noticed that she scratched so hard to get out she frayed the carpet. She had no claws. I felt so miserable I balled. She was fine. Thinking I would have a mess in the closet I moved everything out. THAT CAT DID NOTHING!! She held it. Now that made me feel so bad. She got over being mad.I loved on her so much. Now when we go anywhere even if it is just to town we make sure our pet is free and not locked in anywhere.

yorkster
03-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Oh. Logan. What a scare! :eek:
So glad to hear that you found Mimi and she is all okay. :D

My kitty, Kedi did this several years ago when we moving into our house (from a condo). Somehow he got the cupboard doors in the bathroom cabinet open, and hid behind the waste basket.
He was upset with the move and all, so did not make a peep.
:(
I was starting to freak out, when my hubby found him, so I know that awful sinking feeling that you feel.