PDA

View Full Version : Stop Gas Euthanasia in North Carolina

QueenScoopalot
09-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Im not sure how effective these petitions are, but am appalled at this method of killing companion animals!

Stop Gas Euthanasia in North Carolina

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/832620530

Please help by signing this petition. It takes 30 seconds and will
really help.
Please follow this link: please forward to all of your friends
The system centralizes signature collection to provide consolidated,
useful reports for petition authors and targets.
Please forward this email to others you believe share your concern.
To view additional petitions, please click here:

http://www.thePetitionSite.com

moosmom
09-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I signed the petition. Gassing is the MOST inhumane way of euthanization there is. Allen Park Animal Control still has gassing BUT...they have a brand new animal control officer who is really up on all techniques, and is learning how to give injections so they can get rid of that death chamber. And to think that's what Parker would've gone through had I not pulled her and Puddin out!!!! I shudder to think about it.

CagneyDog
09-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Why is it so inhumane?

moosmom
09-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Because death isn't instantaneous like a lethal injection is.

QueenScoopalot
09-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
Why is it so inhumane?
If you clicked on the site, it says why right there...(copied & pasted below) what an awful way to die.
All you hear is a door slammed closed and the sound of screams and choking as the gas is turned on. They see one another dying, going into convulsions and bleeding out of the mouth. Many are not quite dead and are thrown back in the incinerator. We are not talking about the Holocaust, we are talking about something that happens in your community every day.

Thousands of dogs are put down every year in North Carolina. Many shelters have not updated their method of euthanasia and are still using the gas chamber. In many peoples eyes this is not humane. The only humane way to put a dog to sleep is by lethal injection through a vein in the leg. This method takes less than 30 seconds and is pain free for the most part.

moosmom
09-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Jan,

Great explanation.

K9soul
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Signed :(.

buckner
09-18-2005, 10:00 PM
When I hear Gas Euthanasia I guess I'm thinking of something different.

When my Dexter was very ill and it was time for him to go, my vet gased him using Anesthesia. When Dexter calmed down and started slowing down, he then injected either into the abdomen or heart (I can't remember, I believe it was abdomen). This way, Dexter didn't "feel" the injection... he just felt himself drifting. Once he was injected, he did die almost instantly, but I was allowed to be back there with him through it all. I held him for 2 hours before he died, and 2 hours after. It was so sad to see him drift off, but yet so peaceful because I know he wasn't in any pain when he died.

I know this isn't Gas Euthanasia... obviously.

What method is this? There was gassing involved.

smokey the elder
09-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I think they use carbon dioxide so the animals suffocate.

QueenScoopalot
09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
I think they use carbon dioxide so the animals suffocate.
That's one gas used..here's an article on euthanisia and a synopsis of what state allows which method.
http://www.api4animals.org/1039.htm

wolfsoul
09-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by buckner

What method is this? There was gassing involved.

Vets use gas anaesthetic on small animals because the only other way they could give anaesthetic is by injection, and the only place of injection in a small animal is the heart. My rat vet uses isoflurane gas. The gas itself isn't painful, it just makes the animal go to sleep. Then if they want to euthanise it they can put the needle into the heart without the animal being in pain. My dog/cat vet only uses gas anaesthetic because it's more humane, it's nothing like the gas that they use to euthanise.

I signed the petition, I think it's horrible that they do this. They think the Holocaust was bad, well that didn't last as long as this. These animals are killed like this every year. :(

moosmom
09-19-2005, 02:03 PM
I think I'm going to be sick. :( The details those articles give about the animals last days makes me want to hurl.

Jamieejo85
09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Signed it:(