PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little worried

sammy101
09-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I posted a while ago about Kodies mosquito bites,well they havent gotten any better:( He keeps ITCHING and ITCHING and LICKING,he never stops..and its starting to worry me.His skin seems to be dry too.I give him an egg once a week,but i'll probably have to start everyday with his dry skin.But i'm getting worried that its not healing.I tried Alow Vera,but he just licks it off:rolleyes: If it doesnt start healing in the next week or so,we probably will take him to the vet.Lucys going next week so i'll tell my mom to ask the vet about it.

but another thing.I found a little white 'wormy' thing crawling around by his bum area...i tried to get a picture of it but they didnt turn out.My mom thinks he may have worms,she's actually going to go check his poop right now.

advice please!

-edit-
my mom said she could see nothing in his poop

jesse_3
09-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I am guessing that it is lice, or fleas..Not worms! I wish you luck, because both are horrible to have in the house!

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

sammy101
09-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Yes they do have fleas,they wont go away:mad: thats probably what it is.He's getting his Frontline again tomorrow,so hopefully that will help

Kfamr
09-17-2005, 05:39 PM
If he has fleas and has worms near his bum, it could very well be tapeworms. Tapeworms dry up and become a brown crusty like thing once it's been in the air for a minute or so.

dragondawg
09-18-2005, 10:34 AM
To expand on what Kfmar posted, tapeworm segments being shed will appear like grains of rice. Dogs get tapeworms by ingesting the infected flea, or by ingesting flea feces (e.g. licking their fur). You have two options: Go to a Vet and get a shot that will kill the tapeworms. Or attempt to treat by purchasing Panacur off the Internet.

It sounds like the skin problem is flea allergy related. If you do not have the dog on a Proban containing product such as Sentinel (heartworm pill), then do so. Frontline is limited in its ability to protect the dog.

You should also not rule out a thyroid problem. Have a blood panel run.

sammy101
09-22-2005, 06:01 PM
There hasnt been anymore worms,that was the last and only one.I think mabye it was just a larvae.
Lucy went to the vet today for her shots,and we asked the bet about Kodies rashes. She said it's most likely allergies,and a bacteria infection.He has little bumps filled with puss,and she says thats caused by a bacteria infection.So he needs anti-biotics.But since the hurricane is coming this weekend,we couldnt make him an appointment,so he has to wait until everything gets back to normal.

.powerful
09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Well hopefully you get this all sorted out asap. I hope he is not too uncomfortable.

Ps: Good luck with the hurricane, stay safe!