PDA

View Full Version : My Neighbor's Concern

Accord
09-16-2005, 08:45 PM
My neighbor, Joe has a female dog thats in heat.. and he keeps asking me how long the dogs mesterial (pms) last. Cause he notice her private area is oddly minorly swollen... I checked my vet book and it doesn't show anything about the swelling...
Got any advice???
He says that its been like that for 4 days.

AllAmericanPUP
09-16-2005, 09:18 PM
the swelling is normal
from what i have heard the heat lasts for a total of about 4 weeks all together

Accord
09-16-2005, 09:51 PM
WHOA! 4 weeks? Thats a dang long time! Poor girlie doggies... But they dont have to buy pads like we do. (well diapers but not often)

Flatcoatluver
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
i heard 6-8 weeks an dbefore we got my dog spayed her's area was swallon too

Accord
09-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Is there any home treatments? Or just have to naturally let it go?

Flatcoatluver
09-16-2005, 10:31 PM
well the best tratment is to get the dog spayed!!!! But if some dumb reason he donsn't want to get her spayed is just to get a diper like thing, but you can buy it at petsmart or other pet store it starts with a b but i forgot what its called

Accord
09-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Oh of course :D He just got her so hes still learning... and Im trying to help as you guys are helpin me too (in the past and presently) So the advices help me to give them out to ppl here who dont have computers.

K9karen
09-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Logan is spayed, but I notice that she swells around male dogs. She's a hussy but would have made a terrific mom. They do sell doggy sanitary napkins. I have a friend who uses them for her dog. Females menstrate at different degrees I guess.

Jessika
09-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Accord
WHOA! 4 weeks? Thats a dang long time! Poor girlie doggies... But they dont have to buy pads like we do. (well diapers but not often)

Females tend to menustrate longer than the human female because female dogs tend to go into heat only two times a year whereas the human female menustrates once a month. So to increase chances of getting pregnant, the female's menustral period is longer :)