PDA

View Full Version : New betta and a question

IRescue452
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Soooo, I got another female from walmert today, couldn't help it she was begging me to take her home. She's pure white and less than half the size of my other female right now. Anywho I added them together with a net dividing them and the new one seems very aggressive. Poor C.C. flashed her scared stripes. So I'm wondering how long it takes females to duke it out before they can live together?

binka_nugget
09-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I've heard that it's way easier to have multiple females in a tank together if you have 3 or more. That being said, I've put my two together (before I heard that).. they nipped at each other for a little while (half an hour max) and then completely ignored each other. I guess it depends on your gals. I've heard of some constantly picking on each other and some taking a couple days to settle down.

IRescue452
09-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks, I don't want them hurting each other though so maybe I will keep them apart when I can't watch them. I also just thought that the new one might be very hungry considering she came from walmart so I'll see how she is when she's eaten.

Lexi_Lover
09-16-2005, 10:51 PM
I have 2, and have had to put them into a separated tank. Would you like to see the results of letting them go free together in a half-gallon? I wouldnt recommend, especially if one is more aggresive then the other. You need AT LEAST 4 or more females, so that dominance is set easily amoungst them all. I have both girls in a separated tank, and then still flare at each other. One girl got some of her scales ripped off, and torn fins and tail, while the other got complete damage of her tail. :( They nipped at each other while I wasn't there! :(

Lexi_Lover
09-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Here are the results. Sorry for them being dark. I wish I had my light handy...

You can see Dazzle scales here, the lighter patch in the middle...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/LuvEmDobes/dd76e8de.jpg

Here you can see Razzle's tail:(
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/LuvEmDobes/38444646.jpg

Here's Dazzle's scale patch again.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/LuvEmDobes/133bdffd.jpg

The two of 'em...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/LuvEmDobes/e3219375.jpg

And wonderful Razzle, and her torn tail. :rolleyes:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/LuvEmDobes/876313b4.jpg

IRescue452
09-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Well I guess I'll have to get something to divide the tank. They certainly do damage I see. Either that or I put C.C. in with Depot but I'm afraid she won't get to her food before Depot. Oh well I'm looking at a bigger tank tomorrow anyway.

chocolatepuppy
09-17-2005, 05:03 AM
I had two females live together for a couple of years, no problems. When I tried it with three other females, they tried to kill each other! :eek: I mean not just nipping, literally grabbing and shaking each other! It was horrible, I couldn't keep them together. I guess some of it must depend on the fish.

IRescue452
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Well I guess I can't name her Angel. Anybody got suggestions?

Lexi_Lover
09-17-2005, 10:58 AM
LOL! Well, you could, as in being the opposite of what she *is* kind of and for her colour. :) I think it'd be cute!

IRescue452
09-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes I think I should stick with angel, its the first thing I thought when I saw her. They had a couple of pastel opaques and then her (just white opaque). How easy is it to tell tail type on betta females? I think C.C. is a delta but not sure about the new one, its too tiny to tell much. The rays shrink toward the middle and the longest is in the middle.

IRescue452
09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Success! They've been together five hours and not a single scale out of place. C.C. finally realized she is bigger so she became the dominant one. She pushed Angel around a bit but was interestingly very careful not to hurt her. She hasn't quite realized that Angel needs to come to the surface to breath too so she gets angry when she sees her come up to the top. No big surprise as to who's going to get the lion's share of the food but I'll make sure they both get to eat.

bckrazy
09-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow! good job with the 2 girls! I usually would not recommend putting 2 females together, unless the tank is quite large and has tons of plants and caves to hide in and/or they are sisters or very very laid back. It's obviously working for you though ;) remember, in a community tank you need at least 1 gallon for every inch of fish in there... so 5+ gallons is ideal, with lots and lots of plants!

Paula, I'm soo sorry -.- that's so sad, poor Razzle. How big was the tank they were in? It's usually easier to have a community tank with 4 or more girls... but sometimes even then they'll get a little bit torn up at first while they settle who's dominant. Was there tons of coverage and hiding places?

IRescue452
09-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Angel hides under the plant when CC feels like being pushy. I'm thinking of adding a little shell decoration or cup in there with and opening just big enough for the little one.

bckrazy
09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Tiny terracotta pots from Wal*Mart are awesome little caves for tanks ~ you can get a a few for almost nothing! I decorated mine by using aquarium sealant to glue a few blue tank marbles along the border. You should get LOTS of silk or, preferably, live plants for them to hide in and have privacy... Java ferns or Water sprites look really good!