PDA

View Full Version : Skye has Osteomyelitis :( :(

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 06:37 PM
A copy of her x-ray is on page 2

This is an infection of the bone in her tail where the break in the bone was from birth.

I have a sick little girl on my hands who has had to dig deep into my pocket today at the vet. She is on Clindamycin for the infection and Rimadyl for the pain/swelling.

If the medication won't work in the long run, then she will have to have her tail docked. There is a possibility that she will need to have that done anyway though...to keep this at bay. It's a recurring infection usually that would need to be treated frequently. Her meds are about $80 a week and if they work well, will need to continue for a month. That of course doesn't count the x-rays, pain meds, cultures, blood work, regular vet fees, etc! We're in this for the long haul....anyone hiring?!?!?!

Please send some good thoughts and prayers my little girl's way if you can. We would both appreciate it! Also, does anyone else have experience with this type of infection?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/p8c4fca5fb0aba36d349e7a5241c4f5e6/f26491d8.jpg

Jadapit
09-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I feel so bad for you and Skye!:( You both will be in my thoughts.... Those two are simply stunning!!:D I love those girls.

Kfamr
09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Oh no, poor Skye baby! I was wondering if that tail of her's was going to give her any trouble. That sounds so painful.

So sorry you guys have to go through this. {{HUGS}} to you both and we miss you!

We got Ki a new collar the other day, a lightish blue one, and as soon as my mom saw it she said "That reminds me of Skye." ;)

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
I actually saw the collar and I think Skye has that exact SAME ONE!!! :D

Did you get it at Target??

dukedogsmom
09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm so sorry. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you've been. I hope you can get the infection under control so that gorgeous girl can be happy and healthy. I love that pic! They look so great together. Hope she gets better soon.

chocolatepuppy
09-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Good thoughts and prayers headed Skyes way.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Poor Skye:( I know a Dane who ahd to get her tail docked due to the same thing, hopefully that's not going to ahve to be the case with Skye. I'll be thinking of you and your girl, Judy!

cyber-sibes
09-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Poor baby! Sending her prayers that her tail will respond to the meds.

Glacier
09-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh, no. I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Hobo developed this when he was recovering from the wolf attack. It was in his front elbow joint. My vet dosed him with a range of anti-biotics and a painkiller. Throughout that entire ordeal, the only time Hobo showed any sign that he was in pain was when he was fighting the bone infection. But he did recovery fully--the leg is fine now.

I hope Skye is all better soon too.

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks so much Val and Devan! It's tough to see my girl having so much pain

Oh and Devan...I was thinking the other day....we have practically the same type of household! 2 large dogs (dane/dobies), 1 "medium" dog (our dobie/your tango) and our little bits (Tia and Chloe)!!

:D I'm sure you totally understand the dymanics of walking through the house in a zig-zag pattern!

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Oh, no. I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Hobo developed this when he was recovering from the wolf attack. It was in his front elbow joint. My vet dosed him with a range of anti-biotics and a painkiller. Throughout that entire ordeal, the only time Hobo showed any sign that he was in pain was when he was fighting the bone infection. But he did recovery fully--the leg is fine now.

I hope Skye is all better soon too.

Oh, thanks so much for that great news Glacier!! I'm glad that Hobo was able to fight it off so well...I have my fingers crossed that Skye can be just as strong! I can see how horrible the pain must be for Skye. She can't even lay down

petslover
09-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Oh no. I hope Skye starts to feel better. I never heard of this condition. Poor baby. God Bless You for sticking with her through this.

finn's mom
09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Judy, I'm so sorry to hear that Skye and your family are having to experience this. I always wonder about you all and hope that you are doing well. I was so bummed to see that Skye was sick. Please give her love from her bouncy buddy, Finn. I hope that we can get the two of them together soon. Please say hello to Joey for me, too. Miss ya!

luvofallhorses
09-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh no! :( Not Skye! :( I am so sorry, Judy. :( I will pray for her that she will be OK. (((hugs to you and Skye))) Please keep us updated on her health.

Kfamr
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by shutterbug0303
I actually saw the collar and I think Skye has that exact SAME ONE!!! :D

Did you get it at Target??

I thought Skye would look great with it. Yep, we got it at Target. A great price for such a nice looking quality collar, I think.

It's the same as the one Venus has here:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid184/p37421217432b318354949631f2e52c2e/f28e8f33.jpg

Speaking of, how are the other girls doing? :)
Please keep us updated on Skye and give her an extra hug from me.

poofy
09-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Im also sorry to hear of this awfully painfull infection..I feel so sorry for you all.All good wishes your way and let us know how it is going.PJ:( :(

Lexi_Lover
09-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh no! Poor Skye! :( I'm so sorry Judy! I hope she feels better. So, no matter what, you will have to dock that beautiful whip-tail(;)) of hers? :( :eek: Many prayers coming your way!

That picture is beautiful Judy, they look so proud and dignified! :D

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I thought Skye would look great with it. Yep, we got it at Target. A great price for such a nice looking quality collar, I think.

It's the same as the one Venus has here:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid184/p37421217432b318354949631f2e52c2e/f28e8f33.jpg

Speaking of, how are the other girls doing? :)
Please keep us updated on Skye and give her an extra hug from me.

I definitely think they are fantastic collars...all of them from Target! I went back and bought more (new one for Skye). It does look great with her eye/fur coloring!

The other pups are wonderful! Venus is doing really well and Sahara is still growing! :eek: As a matter of fact, mommy Sahara has been taking care of Skye while she is sick! Chloe is fantastic as always. Her only problems are allergies but we treat those, so she is very low maintenance :cool:

Skye says thank you for the extra hug...she loves to get squeeze from her online friends! :D

RobiLee
09-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate when something is wrong with one of our PT babies. I hope this treatment works and takes care of the problem. Please give Skye a great big hug from me. That is a gorgeous photo of your two big girls! Give them all hugs please!!!

IRescue452
09-16-2005, 08:55 PM
So sorry to hear. You'll be in my thoughts. My has Skye grown!

shutterbug0303
09-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Thank you so much for all the good thoughts and hugs/kisses for my baby! She is really enjoying all the extra attention tonight ;)

I'm adding a photo of her x-ray that the vet gave me today. You can see the break and swelling, along with some of the surrounding infection. It's not as clear on the computer - but gives you an idea.

Paula - I'm hoping we can keep her precious tail!! The nice thing about Skye's tail...it's not like a regular "dane whip" because it was always broken and never had the strength. But boy do my legs know the "dane whip" feeling from Sahara! OUCH!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/pf94e6ec3e0b31fe0f249ab07298a11a1/f246246a.jpg

finn's mom
09-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey, Judy...I sent you a pm! That xray looks so painful, poor girl. :( I didn't know her tail had always been broken...Finn sends tons of lab kisses her way!

gemini9961
09-17-2005, 08:39 AM
My best wishes for you and Skye in this terrible time. Get better Skye.

pitc9
09-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Ouchie! :eek: :(
Prayers and gentle hugs for Skye.
Get better soon sweetie!!

anna_66
09-17-2005, 10:01 AM
My oh my do we ever have some sick doggies here on PT:(

Judy I don't remember hearing about Skye's tail before. I really hope that precious tail of hers can be saved.
So sorry to hear that she's in such pain and I'm hoping that her meds have her feeling better soon.

Lots of love and {{{HUGS}}} from me and my crew:)

crsvstang
09-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm so sorry hear that.:( I hope Skye will be ok!

Karen
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Poor silly Skye baby. Indo hope your tail gets betterm sweetie.

Suki Wingy
09-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh poor little girl! That looks so painful:( Sending goovibes your way.

Giselle
09-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh wow, just looking at that made me cringe :( Get better soon, Skye. You better start responding to those meds!!!

lv4dogs
09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear that. We're all sending great thoughts for her & you.
Hugs

lute
09-19-2005, 01:48 PM
OH NO! poor Skye!!!:( :( :( i hope she gets better! we'll all be praying for her here!

wolf_Q
09-19-2005, 01:54 PM
So sorry to hear this. :( I hope you don't have to dock her tail because of it. She'll be a beautiful girl with or without her tail though!