PDA

View Full Version : First Time Fostering - Any advice?

may51380
09-16-2005, 11:41 AM
I have just contacted a animal shelter here in South FL, that has taken a bunch of animals from the Katrina Hurricane. I already have 3 cats, but I have an extra bedroom - and I can take in another kitty. I feel so bad for all those animals, but right now I can only help one:( I have never had a foster kitty before. I know that I will have to keep the new baby sperated from my other kitties for a while. (Esp. Beth - she still doesn't llike Joey too much and he has been with us for about 4 months) If anyone has any advice, ideas on how to make the new baby more at ease please let me know. Hopefully the shelter will contact me today and I will be able to pick up "kitty" (don't know if it is girl/boy, age, name??) on Monday. (I will be out of town this weekend)
Thanks in advance for any info.

Janine
Beth
Lulu
Joey

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/may51380/Lulu3.jpg
Beth & Lulu

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/may51380/9-15-2005-06.jpg
Joey

Soapets
09-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I failed at Fostering 101 AND Fostering 102!:D That's why I have Shadow and Annie both now!:rolleyes:

When I introduced Shadow to Sandi, Oreo, and Angel, I put him in his carrier and put his carrier down among them, so they could sniff and investigate without harming him. I did this for an hour or so every day for about a week or so. Then I supervised very closely when I actually let them near each other without the carrier for protection. I did the same with Little Orphan Annie. They all get along great now.

I think it's wonderful that you are willing to do this, and I sure hope the kitty you foster gets back with his/her own furever family real soon!

Deb

catnapper
09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Congrats on your new foster! Its a wonderful experience and you'll feel so great about helping this poor kitty.

Definately keep them separated until you at least know this kitty doesn't have any worms, bacteria, etc that could infect your cats. Also to give your cats time to adjust to the fact that a newbie is in the house.

Just go into the room your foster is as often as you can to give him/herl love, pets, food, playtime, etc. I have one girl who's been locked up in a room all her own since January. She'll never move out and thats a-ok to her (she HATES other cats) I simply visit her often and tell her I love her. She has her very own litterbox, food and water bowls.

Enjoy your first foster!

catmandu
09-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I WOULD MAKE A TERRIBLE FOSTER,TOO,AS IT WOULD TAKE ABOUT A MINUTE,FOR ME,TO WANT,TO KEEP,THAT LITTLE STARRY.
THATS A GOOD IDEA,OF HAVING,THE FOSTER INTRODUCED,FROM THE CARRIER,AS THEY WILL FEEL,MORE AT EASE,THAT WAY.
I HOPE,THAT ITS A SUPER CUTE CAT,AND YOU HAVE A NEW FRIEND,SOMEBODY,TO LOVE!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture747.jpg

jenluckenbach
09-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Congratulations on your first foster (and don't be surprised if she becomes your 4th cat ;) )

Laura's Babies
09-16-2005, 09:45 PM
They may leave your house but will never leave your heart!

CalliesMom
09-17-2005, 03:51 AM
That was very kind of you. Congratulations on the foster.

rosethecopycat
09-17-2005, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't guess that you have any medical records on this kitty?
I would IMMEDIATELY have them combo tested for FeLV/FIV. It is critical.

Then, I would worm them, as if they have worms. It is cheaper to treat them, than to test them (fecal)

If you can, bathe them in a fungal shampoo, in case of Ringworm too.
Look for fleas or bite wounds.

In the foster room, make sure there is a 'safe spot' such as a hidey hole, a covered tupperware with a hole in it, or the carrier.

They are going to be alright, and thanks for helping.