PDA

View Full Version : Three little patients

catnapper
09-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I have three little girls home from their spays, and boy do they look great! The vet said they cannot jump or run for 7-10. Elfie came right out of the carrier and tore through the house and took a flying leap onto the computer table and drank from my glass of iced tea :rolleyes: Doesn't she know she only has three legs? Doesn't she know she's not allowed to do that? :D

You should have heard the song they gave me the car ride home.... meow meow meow. Three meows all in the same voice. Was VERY odd, and I giggled the entire ride home.

Elfie looks very funny -- all this black and then a big white tummy! :D She's right now trying to play with Angel who's been hissing at her :rolleyes: She's going to be the one I'll have to watch closely for ripping the stitches. Nessa's swatting at hissy boy (who's not swatting back OR hissing! :p) and Flutter's enjoying a sunny nap.

Now the fun of dosing them twice a day with their pain meds and three times a day with antibiotics for campylobacter - all three have it. Which means all MY guys have it too. Sigh... need to call my vet to see what their opinion on campy is (apparently some vets think its something you don't need to treat, that its just part of the normal intestinal bacterias).

Pawsitive Thinking
09-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I She's going to be the one I'll have to watch closely for ripping the stitches.

Glad to hear they are all doing so well.

When Brody was spayed I cut the sleeve of one of my cardigans, put two holes in it for her paws and she walked around looking like she was wearing a jumper until they healed! :D

Soapets
09-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm glad to hear they are doing well, and I can totally relate to your dilema of trying to keep them calm and quite and fairly inactive!:D When you say the Vet. said they're supposed to be kept faily low-key for 7-10, does that mean 7-10 DAYS, or more like hours, minutes, or SECONDS?:D

In my experience with Angel when she had it done four years ago, it was only a matter of hours before she was up and running. Annie hasn't been running through the house yet since I brought her home yesterday, but I can tell it's only a matter of time before that resumes. Shadow has been pretty good about not chasing her or attacking her to play, etc., but that's probably not going to last much longer, either.:rolleyes:

Anway, it's good to hear there were no complications, and they are all back home again, safe and sound!:)

Barbara
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I was really waiting for an update:) and this is a very good one.

Oh no, I just can imagine the three little flying monkeys who don't want to leave their stitches alone:)

Hope that campy thing dissolves into nothing.

catnapper
09-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Yep, 7-10 DAYS. though they seem to think the vet meant minutes.... the whole 10 minutes it took to drive home. Sigh... so far they've not stopped running and jumping since we got home.

They are the EXACT opposite of Abby. She was soooo sad looking and wouldn't move for 7-10 days after her spay. I guess my first cat spay was a worst-case scenario because these three girls are tearing up the place! :D

Craftlady
09-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Cindy acted like she never had anything done when we brought her home. I've never heard of 7-10 days dont jump etc. It's more like be calm for 24hrs.

catmandu
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
ILL NEVER FORGOT,WHEN THEY TOLD ME,JUST HOW IMPORTANT,IT WAS,TO KEEP POUNCER QUIE,WHEN SHE WAS SPAYED.AND LIKE MANY,OF YOU SHE INSISTED,IN TEARING AOUND THE APARTMENT ,LIKE A LUNATIC,WITH ME WORRIED,THAT SHE WAS GOING,TO RIP OPE HER STITCHES. AND MICHAEL,WAS STILL GROGGY,WHEN HE CAME HOME,DID HE SIT STILL.ARE YOU KIDDING,RUNNING ABD CHASING SCRAPPY AROUND,WOBBLING LIKE A PUNCHY FIGHTER!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1118.jpg

rkidsrcats
09-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Hmmm..7 to 10 days...we don't think so!!!!
Does this vet have cats of his/her own? Do they realize that days are actually hours in a cat's mind?

Pippin slept for about 7 hours after his neuter and then was performing Pip-flips after his nap.

So who's the "kitty wrangler" you've called in to keep them down for 7-10 days???:p

lvpets2002
09-16-2005, 02:45 PM
:D So glad all are doing so well.. Yup I went thru that with my babies on not to jump & run {yow right} & nope they dont know they are not to do that.. Yes be carefull that they dont pull out anything.. Some vets here do Laser spayings now.. I know my Calitt was Laser done & laser stiched & was nothing to pull out.. But still had to watch to make sure she didnt pull anything on the inside.. Me & my girls send whisker kisses & hugs for the three babies..

kitten645
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Pipflips had me ROFL. But keep an eye on those girls. I know when I had my boys done they were not happy kids. LOL.
Claudia

jenluckenbach
09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I have NEVER been able to keep a spay patient quiet for any more than 10 minutes myself. So far, there has never been an incident. The cat knows how she feels. Just keep looking at their bellies to make sure they are OK.

9by the way, I could just picture Elfie tearing towards that iced tea :D )

Laura's Babies
09-16-2005, 03:47 PM
WHO was that vet kidding? Just TRY to keep them from running and jumping. Samantha was doing head to tail FLIPS the day after her spay and she flipped in a ball all the way across my living room floor. They don't care if they just had surgery! NOTHING is as important as playing and jumping!

jazzcat
09-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I was wondering how our little patients were doing. I'm glad to hear they are fine and already bouncing around. You are going to have your hands full for a while, LOL!

smokey the elder
09-17-2005, 07:21 AM
7-10 DAYS?! Kittens?? Yeah right.:rolleyes: :D

rosethecopycat
09-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, I've had quite a few spays done, and I did buy 3 large playpens (cages)

I really only try to keep them from jumping for the first 48hrs. I remove the cat trees etc.

Then if they are good, no more cage.

I have had some girlies that don't know anything has ever happened, and some that are in a 'funk' for a few hours. But, fortunately, none have had any complications. I think it is important not to judge a cat as o.k. just because the previous one was o.k.. I am guilty of that.
Each one is going to recover differently.

You'll have a houseful of flyin' monkeys very soon.:p

trayi52
09-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear everyone is doing okay. When I brought Grover home from being spayed, she acted like nothing had even happened! I think it hurt me worse than it did her! Same with the puppers!

Willie:)

catcrazylady
09-17-2005, 01:12 PM
LOL!!! 7 to 10 days!!! Who are they kidding??? :eek:

It sounds like they are all doing fine. Thats wonderful news and I hope they continue being little stinkers! :D

Soon I'm going to have to drag five kittens in and I was really dreading it. This made me feel better. :)