PDA

View Full Version : Mark slipped!!

Cookiebaker
09-15-2005, 10:23 PM
:( This morning, we were trimming toenails up, and Mark accidently cut too much on one of Emerson's back nails. Whoops!! I swear that somewhere in this house we have styptic powder, but I couldn't find it anywhere. We packed it with cornstarch, but that didn't really do too good of a job. Every time he did something active (just walking up the stairs) it would start to bleed again.

Part of the problem is that his toenails are black and we can't see the vein. The part of the problem is that Emerson is a nail biter, and his nails are always ragged and ripped. :rolleyes:

I called the vets and they gave me a little baggy of styptic powder. It hasn't bled in several hours since we put it on (I'm so thankful!) but we are keeping him quiet too.

He was such a good sport about it, and laid perfectly still while we were packing it and getting it to quit bleeding. He's such a good baby. :)

Flatcoatluver
09-15-2005, 10:44 PM
yeah its so hard tripping nails especially when the dogs nails are black so what i do with zoey's nails is i file them so i won't get them to short and i do it more but its very painful if they get to short.

RobiLee
09-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Ouch! I hate when that happens. I did that to Katie once. I felt terrible! It seems like the bleeding is never going to stop. Sounds like Emerson handled it well. Such a good boy! Give that sweet boy a hug from me please!

K9karen
09-16-2005, 12:15 AM
I hope Mark isn't banging his head against the wall. It's so hard clipping the black nails. Plus I so admire anyone who does it at home. (we get the army and take Klo to the vet and they even hit a vein). So it can happen to anyone. What a trooper Emerson is! He knew you were helping him.