PDA

View Full Version : Cat with diabetes

gwen021399
03-13-2002, 09:35 AM
I recently (about six months ago) found out that my nine year old female cat has diabetes. We are giving her insulin shots in the morning and at night and also have her on special food. Any comments? I was wondering if anyone here has a cat w/ diabetes and what your experience has been.

gwen021399
03-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Well, some signs of a cat being diabetic are drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. You may want to have him checked (I happened to read your post on today's cat about him drinking a lot of water). :eek:
We just happened to find out she had diabetes because during her checkup her glucose levels came back abnormal and the vet asked me if she was drinking a lot of water. She was actually trying to drink out of the toilet and hopping into the bathtub to drink.

mruffruff
03-13-2002, 12:03 PM
http://pub3.ezboard.com/bpetswithdiabetes

If I did this right, you should be able to access the Pets With Diabetes board. I have a dog with diabetes and have found a lot of help from the people who post there.

Mary

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-13-2002, 12:08 PM
My best friend had a cat with diabetes. She also had to do the shots and the special food, which isn't easy when you have more than one cat. But they did it and the poor kitty started feeling a lot better. Unfortunately she (the kitty) died about 2 years after being diagnosed, but at least she got another 2 good years because they took such good care of her. I believe her cat was about the same age as yours.

Hope it helps to know that with the insulin the diabetes can be controlled, and hope your kitty does well!

Randi
03-13-2002, 02:18 PM
I'm afraid I know nothing about cats having diabetes, but I wish her all the very best!! She will hopefully be allright with some medicine for many years to come!! :)

Paws are crossed here! :D