PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Pads ??

Jamieejo85
09-15-2005, 01:27 PM
It got really cool today for a change, a reminder that fall is on the way. I feel so bad for Guapo's little body, he was just shaking when I took him out to potty, even after I put a shirt on him:) . I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to puppy pad train him even though he is used to going outside (and ocassionally on the back porch:rolleyes: ). I just feel so bad for him because it is going to get really cold this winter and it will be unbearable for him. Also where do you put puppy pads? Can you put them in your room because that is where I leave him when I am not home or will it smell really bad? Sorry I dont know much about them so any info would be helpful:D

beeniesmom
09-15-2005, 01:34 PM
If you must use them.... put them in the bathroom because they do smell after being used.

It's fairly easy for pups to use one since they usually have an odor that dogs like to pee on. They sprinkle something on them.

I know it gets cold there in winter but I would reccomend her to go outside. She can always warm up quickly when she gets back in. Maybe purchase a sweater for her. :)

I also read somewhere about doggie litter boxes... dunno where. Maybe you might want to look into that.

Jamieejo85
09-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks Carmen! Yeah my mom told me to just take him out and he will probably hurry up and do his business so he can get back in. I just feel so bad for him, seeing him shivering like that lol. I will probably end up just taking him out.

beeniesmom
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
You're welcome.... and sorry for writing SHE.... I meant HE!

They have a bunch of cute doggie sweaters online.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?ref=3636&subref=AA&N=2001+113064

I bought some for Beenie too because she hates cold.... it doesn't get VERY cold in FL. but it's chilly enough for her to mind!

Lobodeb
09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Jaimee, I would strongly discourage you from transitioning back to the pads. I had a terrible time with Maggy to get her outside once the weather warmed up.

She was only a few months old when we got a nice Chicago storm and froze her little toesies off when she went outside, so I got her on the pads. She did great, but getting her to go back outside was a nightmere! I would suggest buying a warmer coat/sweater for Guapo. And maybe some of those little booties too.

Good luck!

Chica
09-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Chica does both. She is left inside during the day when I got to work. She uses the WEEWEE pads if she has to go. When I get home I usually take her for a walk and she does her thing outside to.:D :rolleyes:

Jamieejo85
09-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone..I think I am going to end up getting him a sweater and some sort of booties..I just hope he will wear them, he fought me today when I clipped his nails lol. Stupid winter, blah;) :p

Daisy and Delilah
09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
My girls do both too like Chica but that's how I trained them to begin with. I change puppy pads frequently. It costs me a fortune but is worth it. I would recommend not putting Guapo back on pee pads, as opposed to outside, either. It's tough with chihuahuas cause they get cold so easily and it really upsets you to see them shaking so bad. They're so pitiful. I know exactly how you feel. Hopefully, a little sweater and booties should work well for the short time he'll be out. I generally keep the pads on the back enclosed porch but you can place them anywhere for emergencies. Good luck:)