PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on Kaige

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Scroll down for more updates

We just got back from the vets a little while ago. He got an injection of Vit. K, and were sent home w/ vit. k. pills for once a day for 3 weeks.

The story:
My bosses re-arranged my office this morning so I came in to work & everything was changed around. I guess they found a few rat droppings so they put out some decon, only they did not hide it nor did they tell me about it.
Kaige got into it. One of my bosses & I caught him eating it. Luckily we caught him.
So I induced vomiting & tried to locate a decent vet (If you read my other post I was getting all sorts of different advice from different vets.

He was starting to get a little lethargic & his eyes were a little blood shot (most likely caused by the induced vomiting or a combination of that & the decon) but he perked up quite a bit about 10 minutes after the injection.

There is no cure but there is a treatment, which is the vit.k. He should be alright. But I do have to keep a close eye on his gum color, attitude, stools etc... for the next week or so.
This a toughie, because depending on the individual dog the effects may come on suddenly (within a few days) or may be slow acting (a week or so) which is why we have to continue the treatment for 3 weeks.

I have to keep him semi-quiet for the next 4-6 hours then he can resume normal activity & eating.

We will have a Coagulation Panel run after he is finished with his vit. k treatment. Which will test his blood clotting abilities. Thats what rat poison does, causing internal bleeding, hemorrhaging. It denies the blood the ability to clot.

I appreciate everyones prayers & thoughts & I'm sure he does too!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Thank goodness!!!! What a fright

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 10:34 AM
UPDATE:
he's not doing well, he's having allergic reaction he's swelling all up

beeniesmom
09-15-2005, 10:36 AM
oh my.... I hope he will be ok.
They really should have told you about the poison as soon as you got to work. :mad:

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
oh my.... I hope he will be ok.
They really should have told you about the poison as soon as you got to work. :mad:

They certainly should!! Sending prayers for Kaige's recovery

cloverfdx
09-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh no prayers on the way, Cmon Kaige.

crsvstang
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Oh, no! I hope Kaige will be ok!

RobiLee
09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Sending lots of positive vibes for Kaige!

Oh, I hated to hear this. Your Kaige is adorable and I have a soft spot for him. Give him a hug from me please!

luvofallhorses
09-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Please get him into the vets ASAP or call them to ask what you should do!!! I will be praying hard for Kaige. (((Kaige)))

Ginger's Mom
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Oh no!!! Prayers going out for our little Kaige. Please let us know how this second trip to the vet goes.

Jadapit
09-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I hate to hear that. I feel like crying!:( I have a soft spot for that little guy also...

K9soul
09-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Sue, you and Kaige are in my prayers :(

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Boy that was so scary. Within about 7 minutes his eyes became swelled almost shut & as I was walking to the car to go to the vet he collapsed. I drove 90 all the way to the vet. Am I so glad that the vets office was only about 2-3 miles away.
I'm still shaking. I've never had any type of emergency happen with any of my pets, ever.

Kaige is at the vets for the day.
They gave him some antihistamine (sp), dexmethasone (sp) a steroid, some other shot and they have him on oxygen.

He started to seem better a few minutes after they gave him some shots. I hope he continues to improve.

My poor porr baby.
:(

beeniesmom
09-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow. I hope he will be fine.
I hope you are ok too.
:(

CagneyDog
09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm sending my prayers over for Kaige. Poor pup :(

Jadapit
09-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh, the poor baby!:( I pray he will be ok. Are you doing ok?

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm ok, thanks for asking everyone. I am nervous as all get go & very worries but I'm okay.

This vet rocks! I think she's gonna be my regular vet from now on. She is about 35 miles from my house, but only 3 miles max. from where I work. Since I can't find a good vet in my area I think I'll use her & then just find an emergency vet near me for emergencies only.
This morning when I called my vet, well my old vet now they told me not to induce vomiting. Well come to find out she was wrong. After I made cage vomit I called them back & told them. They then proceeded to tell me that since I did that he'd be fine, as long as no symptoms occured he'd be ok. They were wrong again. ANY dog that has gooten into rat poison, no matter how little or if it was all brought back up shuold be on Vit K for AT LEAST 2 weeks, and up to 6 weeks.

I posted a post about a month or so ago, stating how I didn't like my vet, I got the heebie geebiees when I was there, now I know why. If I would of listened to them Kaige probably wouldn't be with me much longer. I will trust my instincts right away from now on.

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I feel kind of better, I just called up my now old vet &... well I told them how dissapointed I was with them. They are no longer my vet.

CathyBogart
09-15-2005, 12:35 PM
How scary for both of you!! Poor Kaige, I hope you're back to feeling well soon!

Jamieejo85
09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh I hope he does well! He sounds like he is with a better vet now. I am glad that you are okay. Please keep us updated

Jadapit
09-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I feel kind of better, I just called up my now old vet &... well I told them how dissapointed I was with them. They are no longer my vet.

I'm glad your feeling a little better. I dont blame you for changing vets. Good for you telling them you were dissapointed in them. Please keep us updated on your baby.....

Daisy and Delilah
09-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Sue, My heart is breaking for you and Kaige!! Please God, let the little guy be okay!! Him is just a baby........I can't stop crying for him. We love you Kaige!! Get better little man!! I hope you're calmer now Sue. How awful for you. They would have had to sedate me and I'd be lying on the floor ath the vet's office. Please keep us posted. Let me add that you're doing a marvelous job of that already. ((((((HUGS TO SUE AND KAIGE))))))

vinjashira
09-15-2005, 12:44 PM
poor Kaige, get well soon!

elizabethann
09-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Your old vet SUCKS!!! I can't believe they said he'd be okay after vomiting. Vomiting will not get rid of all the toxins that may still be in Kaiges body. I'm glad you have a new vet.

I am sending positive thoughts Kaiges way. He'll be okay....I just know he will.

Please continue to keep us posted.

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Just called the vet to see how he's doing.
He improved a little within the first half hour or so, now he's staying the same. Not doing too great but he should recover. He's still on oxygen.

The reaction is most likely from the vit k. shot.
I go back @ 5 to see him (hopefully he can come home) and to speak more with the vet.

Kfamr
09-15-2005, 01:08 PM
So glad he's doing a bit better. Hopefully he continues to improve.

You've done an excellent job, Sue! Hugs to the both of you. (And that sweet Raustyk & Nook. ;) )

k9krazee
09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Poor Baby Kaige!!! All fingers, toes, paws and claws are crossed here for a full, and fast recovery of our favorite lil boy!!! Hope things are better, good thing you caught it quick!

senorita02
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
I sure hope he will be ok!
Im glad to hear he has gotten some treatment to help him along :)
This must be very scary for you: (

Thandi
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Holding thumbs and toes and claws for Kaige, and much strength to you too!

honor_fl
09-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm so glad you found a decent vet. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Greta ate a whole bottle of rimadyl once off the kitchen counter. Our vet was a little further away, but we got her there in time, did the whole induced vomiting thing :eek: and eventually she was better. But we had a few scary times there too. Hang in there!!

petslover
09-15-2005, 03:47 PM
oh wow.. I didn't read this part. This must have been scary for you. I really hope Kaige gets fully recovered. Poor guy.

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank you all for your kind words & support. Keep them coming if you can please!
I'm going to the vets in just a few minutes. I hope my lil Kaige man is well enough to come home tonight.
I'll update in the morning.
Love you pt'ers!
:D

K9soul
09-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Sue, been thinking of you and Kaige all afternoon. I sure hope you are able to give another good update when you come back. I can't imagine the scare this has been for you. I sure hope your baby boy will be coming home soon! More thoughts and prayers going out to the little guy.

anna_66
09-15-2005, 06:26 PM
My that must have been so scary for you. I'm glad he's stable right now and I hope he's doing alright.
{{{{HUGS}}}}

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-15-2005, 06:31 PM
I just saw this thread now. Sue, I can't even imagine going through something such as this :(. I'm glad to hear he's doing a bit better, hopefully he'll be feeling really good soon so you can bring him home....

k9krazee
09-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I hope Kaige gets to come home tonight!! We're still thinking of you little guy!!

wolf_Q
09-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Oh my I didn't see this until now. How frightening for you both! I hope everything will be ok with Kaige! I'll be thinking of him!

Kfamr
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Ack I can't wait for an update until morning! :p
Hopefully sweet Kaige is at home resting.

gemini9961
09-15-2005, 08:57 PM
This is so scary. I am glad though he got the care he needed and quickly. My wishes for you and Kaige.

Daisy and Delilah
09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Sue, how is Kaige? My whole family is so worried about him. How are you holding up? We're still praying hard for both of you and we can't get him off our minds. Keep us updated:(

K9karen
09-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Thinking about Kaige too. I hope you were able to bring him home. Glad you switched vets, and not a minute too soon. Prayers for adorable Kaige. He's won me over too. I can't believe your bosses didn't tell you about the rat poison. Make them pay your vet bill. It's their fault.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-16-2005, 04:00 AM
How are things with you both today?

beeniesmom
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
How is Kaige doing?

Jadapit
09-16-2005, 09:35 AM
I hope all is well with Kaige!

cyber-sibes
09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Prayers going out for your sweet little Kaige!