View Full Version : Kaige ate rat poison EMERGENCY

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
I don't have a lot of time to explain, I'll do that later. but Kaige got into rat poison this morning, about 40 minutes ago. I'm hearing different things from different vets & finding a little bit of different info on different sites and just want to hear anyones experience right now.
I did enduce vomiting and it was succesful.
Some vets/sites say to start vit. k ASAP, some say I can wait up to a day or so.
Good thoughts are welcome but if anyone has any experience I'd like to know. thanks

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 07:53 AM
A trip to the vets????????????

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 08:00 AM
My vet is 45 minutes away, I'm at work. I'll explain later but I will not go to my vet ever again.
I've called the local vets, 3 of them, all are telling me different things. Some say I can wait, some say not to, some say to look for certain symptomssome say to look for others.

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 08:05 AM
If it were me,, I personally wouldnt mess around,, I would spend the $$ and have my pet checked ASAP!! Better safe then sorry!!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:05 AM
OMG! You must be beside yourself - what was the poison? I know someone who works in pest control who might know how best to deal with this

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Decon, rat & mouse

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
OMG! You must be beside yourself - what was the poison? I know someone who works in pest control who might know how best to deal with this

Yeah,,, perhaps a VET??????

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO

Duh, I've called 4 of them, all are saying different things, I want to know what is right so I can go to the right vet. I'm not going to a vet that is wrong.

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
I did get him to vomit & I know that now it is not a dire emergency, but does have to be addressed sometime.
One vet said to wait a few hours, one vet said as long he vomited & he's ok he doesn't need to come in, one vet said to get him in within 24 hours if no symptoms, one vet said a few days if no symptoms

elizabethann
09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Does your town have an emergency hospital for animals? If not, please bring your dog to your vets asap and demand they begin treatment immediately. If you wait for symptoms, it may be to late for Kaige.

Please keep us posted. Take care.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Is this the same?

http://home.nas.net/~jgeorge/Questions/Q1.html

mentions Vitamin K as the antidote

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Duh, I've called 4 of them, all are saying different things, I want to know what is right so I can go to the right vet. I'm not going to a vet that is wrong.

DUH??? Excuse me for caring about your baby,,, and that comment wasnt directed at you......

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:18 AM

I agree but it would help to know what she was dealing with - someone who uses the stuff on a daily basis would know how would it affect Kaige - I didn't mean actually give any treatment!

beeniesmom
09-15-2005, 08:18 AM
OMG I hope he's ok. I'm no vt but I think if he vomited than he'll be allright. It depends on how much he ate....
Let us know.
We love you Kaige!

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Well I guess if you keep waiting,, youll find out which vet gave you the best advice,,,,,, Still wanna wait???

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Well I guess if you keep waiting,, youll find out which vet gave you the best advice,,,,,, Still wanna wait???

Not helpful

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 08:24 AM
After speeking to a bunch of people & vets from all over I'm bringing him in to be safe.

I'm bringing him to the vet that was as correct as the average vet/info I received.

We're going in about 10 minutes.

Wish us luck please!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Fingers crossed - keep us posted

elizabethann
Good luck. But PLEASE keep us posted.

LorraineO
Not helpful

no,, but its the truth,,, I already tried ot help by advising a trip to the vet,,, what else can I do but try to shake her tree?? Time could very well be of the essence here,, poison isnt something to mess with or the take the wait and see approach.. not for me it wouldnt be anyways....

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
After speeking to a bunch of people & vets from all over I'm bringing him in to be safe.

I'm bringing him to the vet that was as correct as the average vet/info I received.

We're going in about 10 minutes.

Wish us luck please!

YAY!!!!!!! Keep us all posted,,, hugs to your furbaby!!!!!

senorita02
09-15-2005, 08:27 AM
How much does Kaige weigh ? And how much did he eat?
Isnt there a regualar vet that you see yearly for vaccinations etc.??

If it were me and my dogs, i woud not wait at all, i wouldnt risk it, he could die if not taken care of properly.

KYS
09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
How is Kaige doing?

Jadapit
09-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh no, poor Kaige! Those silly pups will eat anything. Please keep us posted on what the vet says I'm going to be a nervous wreck over here until you do. My thoughts are with both you and Kaige!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-15-2005, 08:36 AM
no,, but its the truth,,, I already tried ot help by advising a trip to the vet,,, what else can I do but try to shake her tree?? Time could very well be of the essence here,, poison isnt something to mess with or the take the wait and see approach.. not for me it wouldnt be anyways....

You're right but I guess she was panicking and needed a bit of reassurance too...... let's hope all turns out well for them :D

anna_66
09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm very concerned, please let us know how Kaige is asap please.

wolfsoul
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I hope that little Kaige is doing alright. Please keep us updated!

Ginger's Mom
09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Poor baby. Hope you are home with some good news soon.

Daisy and Delilah
09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
OMG SUE!!!!! NOT KAIGE!!! Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Please keep us posted. Please be okay Kaige!!!:( :( :( :( :(

lizbud
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I realize that everyone's different but, if I knew my dog had
gotten into rat poison, the last place I would come is to an
internet board to ask for opinions.I would leave work faster
than you can say "sick day" & get the dog to a Vet for a fast
check up & treatment.

I sincerely hope Kaige is o.k.:(

cloverfdx
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Ditto Liz. I hope he is ok, any news yet?

caseysmom
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
My nephew dog died from this a few years ago....my sister in law didn't take him in, I found out later if they give vitamin K injections it can save them.

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I realize that everyone's different but, if I knew my dog had
gotten into rat poison, the last place I would come is to an
internet board to ask for opinions.I would leave work faster
than you can say "sick day" & get the dog to a Vet for a fast
check up & treatment.

I sincerely hope Kaige is o.k.:(

Believe me I would of just rushed him to the vet but I got him to vomit within 20 minutes, therefore it did not matter one bit if I got him to the vet right away or 24 hours later. As long as he vomited right away then he's ok for 24 hours. Vit K needs to start within 24 hours.

And with the problems of me being away from home (not near my reg. vet who I will NEVER go to again after what they told me today) and trying to find another vet in the area & hearing a bunch of different stories I figured it would be best to take a half hour or so & do some research so I could take him to the best vet I could find.

CathyBogart
09-15-2005, 12:31 PM
How is he?? Edit: I just found your update thread.

Star ate fly poison a few years ago and it was the scariest thing EVER. :( :( :eek:

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CathyBogart
How is he??

Star ate fly poison a few years ago and it was the scariest thing EVER. :( :( :eek:

He's kind of okay, not out of the closet yet
here's his update http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88598

Kfamr
09-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I hope you've found a solution so far - We all know you're a good fur-mommy and will do what's best for Kaige. {{HUGS}} to you both.

Not helpful

Not surprising.

ginagt
09-15-2005, 01:16 PM
I hope your dog is ok. We stopped using Decon a while back when we found that the rats can track it all over the place. We have two garages that are next to each other but not attached, the Decon was in the garage and we found traces of Decon in the other garage. Scarey stopped using it right away.

My point is we now use this stuff called One Bite, you can buy it at feed stores and even Home Depot I think. It is a brink type poision, it can be attached to something so the rat cannot carry it off. We had a friend who's black lab accidently got into it and it didn't hurt him. Might be worth looking into.

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I hope you've found a solution so far - We all know you're a good fur-mommy and will do what's best for Kaige. {{HUGS}} to you both.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not helpful

Not surprising.

I suggest you rea\d the posts after that Kay,,, It wasnt meant to be helpful,, just in her face,, trying to jar her after all the other advice wasnt being heeded... Not surprising youd take a pot shot.....

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I suggest you rea\d the posts after that Kay,,, It wasnt meant to be helpful,, just in her face,, trying to jar her after all the other advice wasnt being heeded... Not surprising youd take a pot shot.....

I was asking for helpful advice, not be jared in my face. If you actually read it, you would of known it was not a DIRE EMERGENCY. Glad I have others who truly care.

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 01:46 PM
oh for Gawds sake,, I do care,, thats why I tried ot jar you,, you did nt seem to be listening to good avice and that was go to the vet,,, I am happy you went tho!!

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 01:52 PM
oh for Gawds sake,, I do care,, thats why I tried ot jar you,, you did nt seem to be listening to good avice and that was go to the vet,,, I am happy you went tho!!

I was going to go to a vets anyways, no matter what I already knew it had to be done, thats what my post was about. I just knew it wasn't that much of an emergency & needed to know what one to go to. After all if I would of listened to my vet (now old vet) Kaige might not be here & if he was he probably would not be with me for long.
Now if you had a vet like that wouldn't you want to know some more info so you knew what vet to go to?

Anyways I am sorry I said that & hope you are too. I hope you forgive me & if you feel the same I will forgive you. Now lets be grown ups & leave this all behind.

LorraineO
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
sounds good to me,, I am just happy your baby got the attention,,, how is the lil one??

Den Anne Pen
09-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I would call POISON CONTROL they'll be able to tell you defanlty if you should rush to the vet or not. there is a fee for calling but you'll know what your suppost to do.
Here's the # if you don't have it already i think there's another one also but this is the one i have

1-877-2 ANGELL

GOOD LUCK

caseysmom
09-15-2005, 02:15 PM
that rat poison is scary stuff, a dog can eat a dying rat that has ingested the poison and then the dog is poisened.

I would rather deal with the rats.

Glad your baby is fine.

Den Anne Pen
09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry i am alittle late but atleast you have the # if it's ever needed.

I hope he's feeling better soon
Cheyanne, Aspen and Phoenix all send big wet puppy kisses his way:) :)
Come on Kaige there's lots more butts to sniff :D :D

buttercup132
09-15-2005, 03:20 PM
my dog had rat poisoning dam vet we used to go to said she ahd rabies and we needed to put her down wich kinda sounds like what your old vet that ull never go to again might of said, anywho im glad shes feeling better and glad u guys made up i thought we were gonna have a big fight on here lol, o and also next time if its not a emergency or if your gonna yell at people for it not being one you might not wanna put emergency in big bold letters in the heading

lv4dogs
09-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by buttercup132
my dog had rat poisoning dam vet we used to go to said she ahd rabies and we needed to put her down wich kinda sounds like what your old vet that ull never go to again might of said, anywho im glad shes feeling better and glad u guys made up i thought we were gonna have a big fight on here lol, o and also next time if its not a emergency or if your gonna yell at people for it not being one you might not wanna put emergency in big bold letters in the heading

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. :( Those types of vets should not be in practice.

well it was an emergency but not a dire emergency where he had to go to the vets right then & there, that very second, he was able to wait a little bit but not too long at all.
If it was that big of an emergency I wouldn't post at all I would of been right to the vet, so would anyone else, therefore we'd never ever have an emergency or urgent post on here (there has been quite a few over the years).

petslover
09-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I just saw this and just wanted to say that I hope Kaige GETS 100% BETTER!