PDA

View Full Version : Are you prepared for an emergency?

KYS
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
After what happened in the South. :(
(Since our big earthquake is due.
Instead of a previous 3 day emergency supply,
Californians are now being
told to keep a weeks supply of food, water etc.
We are being told it could take easily that long before those effected will get help.

(I went to the store today and picked up some more can goods.)

I already have a 1st aid kit, but could add to that.
food
water (not enough for 7 days)
dog food,
can food,
dry milk,
candles,
batteries.
paper plates, cups, utensils.
Propane BBQ
rice a roni/dry box food. (need more of that too.)
Matches.
blankets

If you can think of more stuff please add to my list.

slick
09-14-2005, 06:16 PM
No, I'm not prepared. My intentions were to go to the store and stock up but alas, I put it off. Thanks for the reminder. I must get my act together and follow through.

elizabethann
09-14-2005, 06:36 PM
GREAT THREAD!!

2 other things you may want to consider (I learned this from RICHARD and from my Brother-In-Law whose in New Orleans).

1. Cigarettes to use as "cash". Either hand them out to get on peoples good side or use them for trade.

2. Petroleum Jelly. To put under you nose to mask the smell (may it be of dead people, poop/pee, dust, etc.)

RICHARD
09-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by elizabethann
GREAT THREAD!!

2 other things you may want to consider (I learned this from RICHARD and from my Brother-In-Law whose in New Orleans).

1. Cigarettes to use as "cash". Either hand them out to get on peoples good side or use them for trade.

2. Petroleum Jelly. To put under you nose to mask the smell (may it be of dead people, poop/pee, dust, etc.)

Actually, use VICKS Vaporub. the menthol will make your head spin..but...

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87536&highlight=disaster

Here's another hint that may help..

Every six months go thru the boxes and cans, look for leaking or open stuff... Rotate the cans, use the older stuff and replace it .

If you go to flea markets, check out the cheap camping equipment,

Sleeping bags, stoves, tents..

Look for a basic first aid book, read it learn to splint an arm, tend to a sucking chest wound, learn how to spot a head injury..

You do not need the BEST survival equipment, just some stuff.

DO NOT GO AND SPEND A PAY CHECK ON A 'One Size Fits All' kit...

Think about what YOU need and how much space you have to store it in....

P.S.

I can't find powdered water any place. can someone give me a hint?

-------------------------

Has anyone used a Space Bag or one of the Foodsaver machines out there

I am curious about them..

I think they may be good to package some of the stuff that may get waterlogged or ???

lizbud
09-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Look for a basic first aid book, read it learn to splint an arm, tend to a sucking chest wound, learn how to spot a head injury..

Richard,

I don't think that'll be much help much with "a sucking chest wound"

Uabassoon
09-14-2005, 07:28 PM
The only natural disasters we get here are fires, so I could buy supplies to prepare, but they would just burn.

Sirrahsim
09-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
The only natural disasters we get here are fires, so I could buy supplies to prepare, but they would just burn.

You could get a kit together and keep it in your car so you'd be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice :)

Glacier
09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

There are lots of things you could do to prepare for a fire. I live in the middle of a forest and a forest fire is going to happen someday.

-Where are your important papers? Your will, mortgage papers, banking stuff, identity papers, insurance documents. You're going to need all of those things after a fire.

-How are you going to get your pets out and were are you going to go? This was a big one for us. Moving 22 dogs is a major undertaking. Plus the eight cats have to have a plan too! We have a plan, a way to move them all at once and someplace to take them where they will be safe from the fire.

-Where are you going to go until it's safe to go back or until you can rebuild? Can your pets go there too?

-Do you have vet records, food, water, leashes, crates, and medicine for pet? We keep all of those things in one place and always have extra of prescription meds on hand.

--What about the stuff that can't be replaced? Pictures, special items. I keep all the negatives and discs in a fireproof box. I just have to grab that and go.

I have a couple fireproof boxes with the irreplaceable things in them. In the panic of having to evacuate, I don't have to worry about forgetting an important document or loosing my wedding pictures forever. They are ready to go at all times.

rkidsrcats
09-14-2005, 10:41 PM
We live in the land of Mt. St. Helen's...:eek:

Mt. Rainier is about 30 min away, so we definately have a plan for earthquake, volcano or tsunami. We have a cab-over camper that is stocked at all times, a plan for finding each other/communicating with each other if something happens while we are both at work, a route outta town and a plan to take all the fur kids with us! We would head to Montana to hubby's sister's place near Whitefish. They have 5 acres - we would do the camper thing until it was safe to come home.

RICHARD
09-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Richard,

I don't think that'll be much help much with "a sucking chest wound"

Liz,

You would be amazed at what you can do when you HAVE to.

I tend to get very focused in an emergency, I flake out afterwards.

LOLOL,
and THAT is why you put Kotex into a first aid kit.....

Or,
It sucks to have an open chest wound like THAT!!

On day, god forbid, you'll be asked to do something you would never have dreamed of doing.

You'll find your mind clear, your hand steady and a little voice on your shoulder guiding you.

Later on you'll stop and say to yourself, WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED? It's not fun, but you will never doubt yourself again.

You'll find out that you pick up a little swagger in your step and the feeling that you can do anything.

;)

RICHARD
09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
If you are looking for a good sounding, portable radio to keep handy I have a suggestion.

It's a Sony radio, ICF-36

It has AM/FM, Weather and TV bands.

It runs on batteries or plugs into the wall.

I needed a radio for my office and since there is alot of things that get 'lost' I was looking for a cheap radio.

I love this radio so much that I am going to buy another for my disaster box. I like the Sony better than my old crank radio, that only has am/fm bands!!

It only cost me 24.95 at Target.

They are available on the web for 32.95..But look around.

It's a good radio, simple and sounds great.

Laura's Babies
09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I haven't taken time to read all of the responses but I want to add my 2 cents worth. Set up a plan for where to go, where to meet up and or WHO to call. Assign one preson, out of the effected area for everyone to contact, someone for everyone to call and check in so they can tell everyone else they are OK (need to do this way ahead of ANY emergency!). You will need someone that is avaliable to take the calls 24/7. Then everyone will need the contact number to call ASAP!

Also, when I created our families board, little did I realize how handy that would be. There was a woman in California , where my brother and family use to live that posted wanting news of them.... someone none of us knew. Wanting to know if they got out of the west bank of New Orleans and if thy were alright. A web sight like aimoo has, is easy to set up and CHEAP if you want to pay or free if you don't mind the pop ups. Our board has been a blessing through Katrina AND Eddies, and Brandons accident.