PDA

View Full Version : How to make cats disciplined?

Josephine
03-13-2002, 01:17 AM
My pet is a 1-year old British Shorthair, namely Tabbie. She has a very lovely face and big eyes. While she is quiet and loves to lean to the windows, she sometimes very much like to play with her water pot. She likes to use her forehands to splash the water all over the floor and run out quickly. Every time I take her back and tell her not to do so by saying 'no' and she showed a distressed face and an angry 'meow'. Although she is sacred, she tries to do it again after a while. I really don't understand and am puzzled at what to do with her behaviour.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Welcome!!!:)
I am sorry that I have no advice for you, but I am sure someone will...... I just wanted to say Hi and welcome.
My kitten is six months old and we are having trouble getting her to not jump on the kitchen table.....:p
She is so cute though I just can't bring myself to get her in trouble! (and i'm pretty sure that isn't going to teach her anything)

Daisylover
03-13-2002, 12:26 PM
The only safe discipline for a cat I've ever heard of was a squirt in the face with a water bottle.....that doesn't sound like that would work in this case!!!!

AvaJoy
03-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi and welcome to PetTalk!:) It is probably just a fun game for her and she knows it is naughty so she runs away quickly!:eek: You may want to run some water in the bathtub or sink and see if she is interested in getting her feet wet . . . it has been known to happen, although I've personally never had the good fortune to have a cat that was interested in water sports. I guess it can be messy, so . . . maybe I'm not missing too much . . . ;)

Karen
03-18-2002, 08:36 PM
I don't know if there's anything you can do unless you catch her in the act. Yes, squirting her with water isn't going to work, silly kitty. Maybe the pennies-in-a-can trick that people use with some dogs would work. take some coins or small pebbles and put them in an empty Coke or other soda pop can, and tape over the opeing. When you catch her in the act, shake the can - it makes a loud, unpleasant noise that she won't want to hear again.

Of course, the other alternative is buying a cheap waterproof placemat to put under her water dish, so that when she does it, the floor doesn't get ruined! ;)

Ila
03-19-2002, 06:45 PM
That is so funny!! When you figure out how to make a determined kitty mind let me know. Misty is so independent and strong willed if she wants to do something she will do it whether she knows good and well if I catch her she is going to get punished. She has a mind of her own.;)

Blackfly
03-24-2002, 08:54 PM
Ive been told a spray bottle filled with water and a little bit of vinegar added, i guess cats really hate the taste or smell, i dont know, ive never tried it...
But if anyone knows if this works and is safe, i might like to give it a try, Bisk is a little devil :D