PDA

View Full Version : Question about my rats

aki
09-14-2005, 05:08 PM
We have had Max and Stuart for a while now and everything has gone well. They have been good brothers to each other.

But in the last couple of days, they have been fighting and crying like they are hurting each other. I have broken up 3 fights.

Do you think it's because they are not neutered?

I am totally upset about this so any info anyone can offer I would love.

buttercup132
09-14-2005, 08:50 PM
ya prolly cuz they arent nutered but i had to un-nutered males together and they were fine , but then again i had my first 2 together and they were un-nutered and they almost killed each other so i dont know what to suggest

Karen
09-14-2005, 08:56 PM
How old are they? It could be hormones kicking in?

CathyBogart
09-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I tend to agree with Karen, it sounds like they might be hitting sexual maturity.

buckner
09-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I once had 2 males together and they never got to the point of killing eachother. I also had 6 males together and they didn't either. So, it's not a "male" thing always.

Usually if the males (or females) are brought up together, things will go smoothly until the day they die. If they didn't know eachother until they grew up, introductions are needed... proper intros.

Crying can just be the squealing because one rat is pinned. What kind of fighting are they doing? I've witnessed some "fights" (mostly cute and amusing ones) that I thought were going to hurt eachother, but really, it's just one grooming the other a little too hard.. or one has another pinned. Or something similar. Pay close attention to WHAT they're doing when they fight. Do the boys get puffed up? Do their eyes perk up more than usual?

True fighting (usually territorial) is usually shown through puffing up of one's fur.

It could just be them playing around and squealing like mad. :)

aki
09-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Thank you so much guys! :)

They don't seem to be puffing up like you say. When they were fighting, Stuart had Max backed up to the side of their condo. They were both on their back feet and slapping at each other and crying.

I sure hope the were playing. I didn't notice them biting each other at all. Hope that is a good sign! LOL

Maybe it is hormones too. I dunno.

I thought only females got PMS!

hahahahahahahahaa

:D