PDA

View Full Version : SAY YOUR PRAYERS ,Any one else have any cute tricks?

poofy
09-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Hidden in this old goody are some commands you will use when teaching other tricks as well. When you tell Mimi to say her prayers, she will put her front paws up on whatever you indicate and drop her head reverently between them. While you speak some appropriate words, she will remain solemnly in position. When you say AMEN, she will break.

Begin by teaching your dog PAWS UP. This can be easily done either on a counter, the side of your bed, or even on your lap. dog should pray from a sitting position if the surface is low and a standing position if it is a high counter. Tap your legs and tell dog PAWS UP. If she's reluctant (no doubt you've taught her not to jump on people, so you will have to break this inhibition on command only), offer a treat that she can get only by placing her paws up on your lap. Make sure she remains, praise her, and tell her STAY

Now telling her HIDE YOUR EYES, hold the treat between her forequarters and below them so that she has to dip her head down to get it. Begin repeating SAY YOUR PRAYERS, holding the treat for a moment so that she cannot eat it. Now, as you say AMEN, GOOD GIRL, let her have the treat and break. Repeat this procedure a few times in each session.

As dog begins to learn each step, reduce your commands so that you just have to say SAY YOUR PRAYERS and AMEN. Now you can play with the trick. Your prayer (or hers, if you prefer) will be limited only by your sense of humor. She can pray for lunch, for a handsome boy dog, for a walk, for a raise in salary for her master. Practice dog's "prayers" on the edge of your bed or wherever you tell her to say them. Gradually build her patience so that you can fool around with longer and longer prayers. It'll be a very impressive skill if one day you and Mimi have an audience with the Pope.

Sammyj dosnt have this "mastered"..lol..lol..but we are working on praying for a little girl dog for us both..lol..lol..PJ

PJ's Mom
09-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I wish my two would learn a cute trick. :)

Bailey will lay down when I tell her to sit. Does that count? :D

poofy
09-14-2005, 03:04 PM
of course..lol..when SammyJ is totally confused and had enought evey thing i say, means, Laydown..lol..lol.
I want to teach him to craw next..Here is a great Dane they were teaching, she stood about 6 ' on her hind legs..Her name is Ivy..

Ivy starts this trick in the "down" position then I hold the biscuit in front of her nose and give the command "IVY CRAWL" while moving away from her. If she goes to get up, I repeat the "down" command then the "crawl" again. For some dogs it may help if you can move forward with the biscuit and place your other hand gently on their shoulders. This will show them what is expected. It's also a good idea to give them the biscuit while still in the crawl position otherwise they can get used to crawling a little bit then popping up for the treat!:)

Lobodeb
09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Maggy loves playing with her ball. Nothing new or unique, I know, but sometimes, she'll put the ball too far for me to reach, so I'll tell her, "Maggy, I can't reach." She'll nudge the ball with her nose to move it closer to me so I can throw it. I'll have to get it on video one day.

poofy
09-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Oh i love that one..lol..Cant get sammyj to even look at a ball??
Strange, he has one toy he loves, its a long legged long armed stuffed pig nosed type of thing and he loves to wrestle with me with it and fetch it..lol..
that is so cute ,for her to get it closer to you..:D

k9krazee
09-14-2005, 06:27 PM
All 5 of mine know how to pray :) I taught them to put their feet on my arm and then their head between their legs, it is really cute!

poofy
09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
thats a good way to do it SAmmyJ dont seem to much like having his front paws on the sofa. I did it from a sit to law with his paws out and his nose between his paws and he likes that better..:D

poofy
09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
I have been working with SAmmyJ to crawl..hes doing pretty good, first he wants to get up, then gets the idea and crawls the rest of the way..lol..I just love working with him..:D