PDA

View Full Version : I Stuck My Arm Up A Cow's...

Bunnicula05
03-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Okay, so today was A+ Shadow Day and I chose to shadow a vet at Lolli's Livestock Market and they were doing cattle sales today. Anyway, the vet was doing a preg-test on these heifers before they were sold to see if they were pregnant and what stage of pregnancy they are in. The way you do it is to put on a big long gloves that reaches all the way up to your shoulder and then lubricate it. THEN, you have to stick your arm up in a cow's rectum (or butt hole) to feel down on the uterus to see if they are pregnant. And well, you've guessed it by now, I GOT TO DO THAT VERY THING! It was sooo awesome! I felt the baby cow's feet. Hehehehe. I also got to draw some cow's blood from their neck, while Betty (the girl that also shadowed the same person) put metal tags on their ears, much like piercing human ears. Betty and I also got to do the blood tests. Like I said, I HAD A GREAT DAY!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-12-2002, 09:56 PM
:eek: WOW :eek:
I think you are more brave than I!!!! I love animals very much, and that seems like an awesome experience to be able to feel the baby cows feet but that is something I don't think I could muster up the courage to do. I am glad you had such a memorable experience. :)

(I GUESS SOME LARGE ANIMAL VETS PUT A LOT MORE INTO THEIR WORK THAN I THOUGHT ABOUT)

aly
03-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Ohhh wow. I admire you for being able to do that because I don't think I could muster up the courage. I love animals more than anything and would LOVe to be a vet.... BUT I have this fainting problem when it comes to anything medical :rolleyes:

I'm glad you had such a good day and were able to enjoy the experience!

LoudLou
03-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Have you ever read or watched "All Creatures Great and Small"...by James Harriott... an English Veterinarian? They are great.:D

Logan
03-12-2002, 10:30 PM
I was about to say you sound like James Heriot!!! Some of my favorite reading has been from him. :D

zippy-kat
03-13-2002, 01:21 AM
I don't think I could do that either, but I have stuck my hand inside of a cow's belly. Here at the university, they have cows with 'portholes' (for lack of a better word) in their sides. The purpose is so that the professors can study what they eat.

sammi
03-13-2002, 04:10 AM
Did we really want to know all that?

Heather Wallace
03-13-2002, 06:40 AM
Well done Meg, Glad you enjoyed your day. As much as i love animals I don't think I would have done it!!!!

purrley
03-13-2002, 07:10 AM
UMMMM - now I don't know if I could or would want to do that, but it sounds like an experience:rolleyes:

Pam
03-13-2002, 07:39 AM
I must admit that I clicked on this post with just a little hesitation....It sounds like we maybe have a future vet in our midst! As much as I love animals, I think that I would have said "Pass" on that one! Glad you had a nice learning experience!

Bunnicula05
03-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Hehehe, I knew I was going to do it because when I first met the Doc he had one of those gloves on with manure all over it and I just KNEW we were going to do that. LOL. I must say it is mightly hard to find the cow's vein in their neck. And yes, I have been wanting to be a vet since I knew what one was, my Mom told me it was an "animal doctor" to better explain it since I was little at the time. I think I'm going to go into small animal or mixed animal practice. I haven't decided yet. :D

purrley
03-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Bunni - that's terrific and a wonderful profession to have a passion for. Good luck and hope you achieve your goal - you're on the right track;)

Daisylover
03-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Wow!!!! I'm impressed and think you did a great job! I'm not sure it's something I would want to do..... Good luck!

How are you buns(nies)?

Bunnicula05
03-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks all of you for your support. My bunnies are great. I put them out in their play pen this morning and the loved the fresh air. I hope you all will wish me luck, for I am going to an FFA Contest the afternoon. I'm doing the Creed Speaking Contest. WISH ME LUCK AND HOPE I WIN! LOL:)

ramanth
03-15-2002, 09:10 AM
How do you keep from getting kicked!?!

Awww.. baby cow's feet. I've helped out around a farm. Can't say that I've ever done that, but I think I could try. :)

tatsxxx11
03-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Nurse Sandra speaking....."Been there, done that!!":o....! (Not with cows though!:D)

Bunnicula05
03-15-2002, 09:32 PM
To answer this question "How did you not get kicked by the cow?" is simple. They are put down this narrow hallway and put into a "chute". Which is controlled by handles and the sides go in to hold the cow and there is a thing that closes around their necks and then this arm comes up and pushes their head to their left side so we can draw blood. It's hard to explain...

sammi
03-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Nurse Sandra speaking....."Been there, done that!!":o....! (Not with cows though!:D)

Up to your shoulder!!!! LOL:eek: :eek:

tatsxxx11
03-17-2002, 06:27 AM
Definitely not!!:D

ilovehounds
03-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Wow you are much braver then I. I gave neddles and cleaned pink eye and changed bandages on our cows but that NO WAY I think I would have passed out ...lol.. You go girl :D