PDA

View Full Version : Fostering a Katrina pup...

bckrazy
09-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey!! Sorry I've been so non-existant lately. I've been *really* busy with school and a bunch of other stuff. Gonzo is also in Flyball too, so I'm setting up ordering a practice box and busy with training twice a week.

Aanyway, my Dad and Stepmom actually came up to me last week asking about fostering a Katrina dog! Yes, they asked me. 0_0 I was like, "ummmmmm.... YES!" I've heard/seen all of the horror stories in the news about all of the abandoned dogs, and we've already donated funds but we totally wanted to do more. I thought about fostering this summer, but I was super busy with work and such and decided to wait. But, now seems like the perfect time ;)

I've been talking with the foster coordinated, who I've met before, about all of the dogs. The dogs from the Gulf are all in quarentine for a week and getting shots and everything right now. They took in over 50 dogs, so they're really running out of space! We'll probably be fostering one of the dogs that is abandoned locally, but even that should help make room for more dogs. I loooove this ASPCA, they have tons of huge clean kennels with big beds and Kongs and toys, and the very dog-social dogs get to hang out in huge simulated family rooms (with couches, chairs, windows, etc) with other pups. They also have a bunch of play yards that the dogs get to play in several times a day with people. And the volunteers and staff there are SUPER nice! It's where we adopted Lola, and they remembered me :)

I'm really hoping that there is a great dog that comes in who we can foster. We can definitely only have a very friendly and mellow dog, because of my little brother (even though they'll probably spend very little time with each-other) and Gonzo. She said they're still sifting through all of the dogs and temperament testing them ~ along with taking in all of the locally abandoned dogs, so it's hectic right now.

~_^ just wanted to update everyone! I'll definitely post if/when we're paired up with a foster pup!

CagneyDog
09-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Thats so exciting!!!! I hope it all works out!

Lexi_Lover
09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh Erica!

Thats amazing news! Good luck...can't wait for more news on the pup. You are such a good person(and your parents) for doign this! What if taht pup were to become really good friends with Gonzo? :p *See where I'm headed;)*

BTW Girl...empty your PM box...SHHESH! :rolleyes:

RobiLee
09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Its good to hear from you, Erica. I hope everything works out and you can foster a dog. What a great thing to do!

Flatcoatluver
09-13-2005, 09:18 PM
aww you are like on of my heros!!!! I would love to do something like that!! enjoy and good luck

Malinois
09-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Good for you!! I might adopt a katrina puppy, after my Malinois puppy that should be here around tommorow, I might get a katrina puppy. I know I sound crazy it's just I really enjoy looking after dogs that don't have homes or need homes. Like Maggie, Ella, and the katrina pup I will be getting. I'll have 4 dogs. And that will eb just enough for me!!

Giselle
09-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Ummmmmm....PICTURES! :D I can't believe you're going to foster a pup. We're so jealous, needless to say. Update us on whatever info and pictures you've got, and kudos to you for helping the furry(er ;)) victims of Katrina.

bckrazy
09-14-2005, 12:50 AM
:) thanks guys!!! I can't wait to see who we'll get ~ I wasn't too picky about breeds and such (even though I hinted at a herding dog), just that we would best accomodate a mature dog because Gonzo is iffy with puppies that bug him.

Sophie, err, you actually think I'd not post a bazillion pictures?! ~_~ trust me, I will. Our SPCA website is http://sspca.org ~ we might end up fostering one of the dogs they have now just to make room. They have a huge place, and they usually don't need fosters except for special cases, so they're obviously taking in a BUNCH of dogs. I'll definitely keep everyone updated!

Paula, sorryyy! I deleted some stuff, I had no idea it was full >.<

buttercup132
09-14-2005, 05:37 AM
thats great news i wish i could foster a dog....goodluck anywayz, post pics as soon as u get you new dog!

lv4dogs
09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Wow Erica that is awesome. Kudos to you! I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted please.

KYS
09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Good for you and how exciting for you and your
family.

k9krazee
09-14-2005, 02:17 PM
How exciting!!! I looked at the website, I would take them all home! Buster Brown, Elvis, Teddy, Sadie, DeDe, Dixie....soo many bootiful doggies!! I am excited to meet your new foster, good luck!!

Chica
09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
I was also considering doing that. Can you give me the info on who to contact? I thought I could get another small dog or Chihuahua.

bckrazy
09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Chica
I was also considering doing that. Can you give me the info on who to contact? I thought I could get another small dog or Chihuahua.

Find the nearest SPCA that has Katrina dogs coming in! I know Cali SPCA's have taken in about the highest amount of dogs from Katrina, because a lot of our shelters (esp in NorCal) aren't very crowded. I'm sure they all have plenty of small dogs :) You can also check out Petfinder if you want to fly a dog in from some of the desperate shelters in the Gulf.

thanks again, you guys! ^.^ I've been thinking of fostering, and this is the perfect time to help out. Hopefully Gonzo and me won't get too attached to the dog and fail fostering 101 ;)...

cyber-sibes
09-14-2005, 09:56 PM
good luck! And bless you for fostering!

wolf_Q
09-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Good luck! I expect lots of pics! :D I wanted to do this also, my parents said maybe at first but then it turned into a no. :(

Kfamr
09-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Good luck!
I've been trying to find the "right" dog to foster and hopefully suckering my parents into it. ;)