PDA

View Full Version : Eleven Children Found in Cages in Ohio Home

QueenScoopalot
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Eleven Children Found in Cages in Ohio Home

WAKEMAN, Ohio (Sept. 13) - Sheriff's deputies removed 11 children from a home where they were locked in cages less than 3 1/2 feet high, authorities said.

The children's adoptive and foster parents, Mike and Sharen Gravelle, denied that they'd abused or neglected the children during a custody hearing Monday in Huron County. No charges had been filed as of Monday night.

"The impression that we got was that they felt it was OK,'' said Lt. Randy Sommers of the Huron County Sheriff's Office.

The Gravelles said a psychiatrist recommended they make the children - ages 1 to 14, with conditions that included autism and fetal alcohol syndrome - sleep in the cages at night. The cages were stacked in bedrooms on the second floor of their house, said prosecutor Russell Leffler, who was reviewing the case.

The children were found by a children's services investigator on Friday when he stopped by the Gravelles' home outside Wakeman, about 50 miles west of Cleveland. Deputies returned to the house that evening.

Some of the cages were rigged with alarms, Sommers said; others had heavy furniture blocking their doors. The children didn't have blankets or pillows.

One of the boys said he'd slept in the cage for three years, Sommers said.

The children were placed with four foster families Monday.

A woman who identified herself as Sharen Gravelle's mother but refused to give her name said the children were happy and loved. "This year they have played and had fun and laughed like no other children have, which they have never been able to do,'' she said.

The Gravelles do not have a listed telephone number.

Sommers said there were no apparent signs the children had been malnourished or beaten, but they were sent to a hospital for examination. Their conditions were not available Monday.

In March, a couple who had recently moved from Ohio to Florida was charged with neglect when their adopted teenager was discovered malnourished in a crib-like cage. The then-17-year-old weighed 49 pounds, investigators said.

The twin-bed-sized crib had been prescribed when the boy was much younger and lived in Ohio. It had been fitted with a lid, chains and a padlock, investigators said.
~~~~~~~~Link included below, but may not be accessible to some...video link~~~~~~~~~~
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050913053909990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001

elizabethann
09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
No charges had been filed as of Monday night

Uhhhhh....and why is that???????

:mad:

lvpets2002
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
:mad: That is so disgusting .. I can not relate to such abuse.. Those poor children & they will never be the same..

moosmom
09-13-2005, 04:53 PM
What I have to say about the whole thing can't be posted on this site, as it is a family site. :mad: :mad:

Poor kids.

The Gravelles do not have a listed phone number...gee, I wonder why???

Elizabethann,

I'm sure there are going to be a TON of charges filed on these people. I wouldn't expect them to charge them over night either. But believe me, they'll get what's coming to them.

Flatcoatluver
09-13-2005, 05:24 PM
poor kids, i can't even imagine

KYS
09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I read about that in Tuesday's newspaper.
I was appalled to put it lightly.
I new their was a reason to stop reading and
watching the news. :(

cyber-sibes
09-19-2005, 11:46 PM
I heard about this too but have not seen the paper- how appalling! It came up in conversation when I was telling a friend how a couple I know really wanted a foster child, but the kids had such serious problems, they didn't know if they could handle it. (some of the kids were psychotic, almost all had severe behavioral problems). Obviously this couple managed to convince SOMEBODY they could handle these foster kids! How very sad. I hope all these kids will find loving homes to go to.

Flatcoatluver
09-23-2005, 10:26 PM
me 2, hearing this truly makes me sick to my stomach