PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a new puppy for Kathi and Bob

Dixieland Dancer
03-12-2002, 12:38 PM
I'm sure most of you remember me posting about Aunt Jazz going to the Rainbow bridge a few short weeks ago. Well Bob is still taking her passing very hard.

I started to look around for possible breeders having pups that would be ready to go to their forever home around the beginning of June. I was sooooo excited to find a great match! Actually I didn't expect to find a great match so easily.

HRCH Foxland's Merrie Chaser SH**** WCX bred to
OTCH Sunfire's Undeniable VCD3 UDX TDX MH MX AJX OBHF

I called and explained the story of Aunt Jazz to the breeder and told her we needed to give Bob a little more time to grieve before suggesting this to him. It's not a matter of him not getting another dog, it's a matter of going through the grieving. She said she understood. I even told her Kathi was definitely ready to proceed but wanted to do so with Bob's blessing.

Anyway, the breeder said she would put us number 3 on her list for a female! I was excited because Goldens usually have large litters and the possibility of getting three females is probable.

Today the breeder sent me an email and said she moved us to number 4 for a female because someone else had already sent in a deposit and filled out the questionairre. I am still shocked!

First because she never mentioned getting a deposit to hold the spot and second because she said she understood where we were coming from in giving Bob some time to adjust before telling him about this breeding. After all they are not due until mid April. If she had said up front "FIRST COME FIRST SERVE" I would have put the money up until Bob was ready. He has already been through enough.

Why am I upset? Kathi and I are planning on going to see the female on Friday evening. This lady knew we were coming and she said she understood. Now today she said she wasn't sure just how certain we were in wanting one of the pups.

I hope the little girl delivers at least 4 girls and I also hope the breeder doesn't change her mind about what position we are in again. I think this is going to be a great litter of pups with lots of working potential. Remember, Kathi and Bob train their dogs in Search and Rescue work and you need a good dog with stamina in order to be really good at it.

I know I have rambled on but I really believe someone when they tell me something and know I'm not so sure if I can trust her.

Anyone interested in knowing the abbreviations to the dogs title can read on. If not thanks for listening to me ramble. It helps with the frustration.

HRCH - Hunting Retriever Champion (Non AKC title)
SH**** - Senior Hunter with four passes towards Master Hunter (MH) You need 5 passes for the title.
WCX - Working Companion Excellent (Non AKC title)
OTCH - Obedience Trial Champion (not an easy thing to do!)
VCD3 - Versatile Companion Dog (Must Complete UD, AX, AXJ, TDX or above)
UDX - Utility dog excellent (highest obedience title)
TDX - Tracking dog excellent
AXJ - Excellent Agility jumper
MH - Master hunter
MX - Master Agility Excellent

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Candy, I hope the litter has 4 females.

:mad: It does make me made that you were bumped to number 4 :mad:

I hope it all works out and that Kathi and Bob will have a new Golden pup soon to train to be a great SAR dog!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Gosh, I too, hope you get a female. Does it have to be a female? Forgive the dumb question. I don't know the requirments for a SR dog. I've thought about Kathi and Bob a lot and hoped they were doing ok. I just thought maybe a male would be easier for Bob to deal with. It wouldn't be like trying to replace Aunt Jazz.

Please keep us posted. You are all still in my prayers.

Logan
03-12-2002, 05:41 PM
I'm just sitting here hoping that it all works out. Male or female, maybe Bob will be ready. I sure do hope so. I think another pet goes a long way towards healing, but some people are hard to convince. I believe that they think they are hurting the memory of the one they lost, but to the contrary, they actually carry on the memory. Lilly is proof of that.

Logan

mugsy
03-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I hope Bob gets the pooch he wants...if it doesn't work out could you go the rescue route??

jackiesdaisy1935
03-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Dixie, I hope you are not in for a problem with this breeder, I would hate for you to pin your hopes on this lady and I hope she is not looking for the highest bidder in the end. I think Bob will be ready for a pup before long, as Logan says it does help to heal the hurt of losing one you love so much. It kind of takes your mind off your sorrow and busy thinking what you can do with your new pup.
I hope you have good luck with these pups.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
03-12-2002, 07:27 PM
I'm sure that when the time is right, the perfect dog will wiggle her way into Bob and Kathi's lives, and hearts. I know you care for them deeply. You are a very special friend, indeed!

AdoreMyDogs
03-13-2002, 06:00 AM
Those dogs sound incredible. All those titles, wow! I sure do hope it works out with a pup, I know that the most healing thing to an aching, broken heart is brand new, innocent little puppy.

I sure hope everything works out and Bob and Kathi end up getting a pup from that breeder.

Dixieland Dancer
03-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Gosh, I too, hope you get a female. Does it have to be a female? Forgive the dumb question. I don't know the requirments for a SR dog. I've thought about Kathi and Bob a lot and hoped they were doing ok. I just thought maybe a male would be easier for Bob to deal with. It wouldn't be like trying to replace Aunt Jazz.

Please keep us posted. You are all still in my prayers.

Yes it has to be a female and not because of SAR work. They have a male now (Dixie's Brother) and they do not want two males in the house. I don't think they will be attempting to replace Aunt Jazz as much as trying to find the perfect puppy who has a high drive and stamina for the kind of work that is required in Search and Rescue. The best of these dogs have such a high working drive it is wonderful to see them work! They are not content to just be a pet. I guess that is why they have not been able to talk me into learning more about SAR. I love having obedient pets and showing as a hobby! LOL SAR work is very intense.

I appreciate your question because I personally do not feel there is such a thing as a dumb question.

Mugsy,
I think Bob and Kathi are as hooked on Goldens as I am. I really don't see them getting a rescue UNLESS it's a Golden who fits the temperment necessary for intense SAR work.

Rottie
03-13-2002, 09:59 AM
OTCH Sunfire's Undeniable VCD3 UDX TDX MH MX AXJ OBHF
is an awesome dog. This dog was the first VCD3 title holder ever. I hope you get one of these puppies. You can see a picture on the AKC website - http://www.akc.org/dic/events/vcdtitles.cfm - scroll down to the bottom.

Dixieland Dancer
03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Rottie
OTCH Sunfire's Undeniable VCD3 UDX TDX MH MX AXJ OBHF
is an awesome dog. This dog was the first VCD3 title holder ever. I hope you get one of these puppies. You can see a picture on the AKC website - http://www.akc.org/dic/events/vcdtitles.cfm - scroll down to the bottom.

Sara,
Thanks for the link. I have a side profile picture of him but his one is sooooo much better! I knew he was one of a few Goldens to ever get a VCD3 but didn't realize he was the first. I really hope they get one of these puppies too! I can't imagine a better breeding for someone wanting a working Golden!

I kind of follow Goldens getting bred in my area (where the bitch is from) but I've never seen a breeding quite like this before! It is truly awesome!

Personally, I think I am more excited about this litter than Kathi and Bob are at the moment. Maybe dog number 3 in the works for me? I don't care if it's male or female!

shais_mom
03-13-2002, 12:40 PM
I know the breeding is impeccable, but would there be another breeder you can have as a backup maybe one with the same familyline as Jazz and Dixie?
Just in case this lady decides to put you down farther on the list?
So b/c of the SAR work that is why they may not go the rescue route?
That makes sense to me now. NOW I get it!

Dixieland Dancer
03-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Staci,
I am sure if this breeding falls through the cracks, there will be another but, breedings of the caliber very rarely come along at just the right time.

We did speak to Jazz and Dixie's breeder and she has a litter she is considering for possible early fall. She hasn't got a solid stud dog and her girl isn't due to come into season for a couple more months.

Give Miss Keegan a hug from me. She is really one beautiful little girl!

hobird58
03-13-2002, 02:24 PM
There is nothing like a golden puppy to help heal the loss of another golden. Sierra has really done that for us. Goldens fill such a huge space in our lives that it is so empty when they are gone.

good luck getting the new puppy for Bob and Kathi, I hope you are able to get just the right one, and sometimes things don't work out for a reason. Maybe, somewhere, there is another litter just waiting for them.

S&S
(Sally and Sierra)

aly
03-15-2002, 01:19 AM
I was just watching a show on Animal Planet about a beautiful Golden mixed with Lab who did SAR work. The guy had actually adopted her from a shelter and saved her life. She does amazing work and has saved many lives.

Maybe a rescue dog will help them more?? I was just thinking that I know it would make me feel better not only to know I got another dog, but I got a dog who's life I saved in the name of my Rainbow Bridge dog.

Just an idea... :)

shais_mom
03-15-2002, 01:23 AM
Candy, I feel I must post this. My soul is aching for me to get it out.

I am hopelessly head over heels in love w/ my Golden Puppy no matter how much trouble she gets into. But I would have never considered getting a golden for myself, if my good friend wouldn't have offered her to me for free. She isn't from champion bloodlines and she won't ever win any shows, she also won't have any puppies. My friend gave me one of the most wonderful gifts someone could give me. She gave me a gift of living love. I can't ever repay that for her. But there are plenty of puppies out there that are wonderful little love packages in a furry body. I hope Bob and Kathi can keep an open heart that maybe just maybe another puppy will wiggle its way into their heart and it doesn't necessarily have to be a golden. There are millions of doggies out there that are in need of homes, including one of PetTalk's own. {MADDIE} and some of them are purebreds but most aren't, some are goldens but most aren't. But I hope Bob and Kathi keep their hearts open b/c in God's eyes all dog's have championship bloodlines.

Dixieland Dancer
03-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Staci, You are right that in God's eyes all dogs have championship bloodlines. That was a beautiful thing to say and realize.

There is one thing that I personally could not give up in my dogs and that is the ability to show them in AKC events. I want a dog that is a companion and competitor in field, obedience and show. Showing my dogs is NOT a thing I do to get titles on my dogs. It is something I do as a hobby. I don't do anything else with such passion as I do in working my dogs and getting them ready for competitions.

It is kind of like horse racing. If you want to compete then you have to have the thoroughbred to do it. This does not mean a mixed breed dog is not loveable. It just means I can't do what I find exciting and thrilling with them. Take the Westminster dog show for example. Every dog there is purebred. Even watching from TV you can feel the electricity in the air. That is what I thrive on. The sweating palms and thumping heart and the ultimate joy of placing is a natural high I have come to love. That I can achieve this with my best friends (my dogs) is the greatest feeling in the whole world to me.

In order to do this you need the bloodlines and past guarantees that the line is capable of producing what you are looking for. It also has to be a AKC registered purebred dog. Unfortunately mixed breeds don't fit this catagory.

Since I find dogs to be a hobby in the competitive sense too, I have chosen the breed that most fits what I want in a dogs temperment, looks, and working ability. That happens to be a GOLDEN! I love all dogs and never fail to make a fuss over one but for me and my house, GOLDEN are the only breed that fulfills my desires and passions!

I know not everyone gets as worked up over competitions as I do that owns a dog and to that end I say GOD BLESS THEM! That they love dogs is what matters! But for me it is a driving force and a passion (kind of like how Aly puts so much energy into rescue). We all need our loves and I do not tell anyone they have to get a purebred. I only ask them what they want from their dog. If they show a desire in showing in any venue then I recommend a purebred dog.

Kathi and Bob also fit into this catagory of competitive dog showers. All their dogs in addition to doing SAR work are shown in competitive obedience and agility.

Actually we are going on Sunday to see the Mother dog working in field on Sunday. This will be her last time to actively do field work before the litter arrives!