PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe she did this!

Lobodeb
09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
So, last night, the hubby went to bed and I was still up doing various chores. Normally, Maggy and Payton follow him until I get their dinner ready. The routine goes that Maggy will put her ball at the foot of the bed, hubby will kick it down, Maggy chases, brings it back, repeat. Meanwhile, he is playing with Payton doing the moving hand under the blanket game. A kitten classic!

Well, I guess hubby got a little preoccupied with Payton, leaving Princess Maggy waiting. She wasn't having it, so she jumped up on the bed, strattled her daddy's leg and peed! :eek: :eek: :eek:

She's done something similar in the past when I would travel a lot for work. As soon as I'd get home, she'd pee on my spot, but not ON me.

Now, I'm terribly worried, with a baby coming, how she's going to act (or retaliate, for that matter).

What do I do???

veegan
09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
lol thats really weird but dont worry, it wasnt out of "retaliation". dogs dont seek revenge like humans do. she probably just had to go to the bathroom really badly, or if shes gone on the bed in the past, may be confused that she isnt supposed to pee on the bed. dogs prefer peeing in high places (or on hills), and they like pourous things like grass, carpet, beds, etc. exercise also stimulates them to go potty, so since she had just been running around that could also have been a factor. so I wouldnt worry about her ruining the house when the baby comes!

K9soul
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
She may have had a full bladder and then got overly excited and lost control, or it may have even been submissive urination too. Tommy used to have a real problem with that when he was younger. My husband would come home and reach down to pet him and he'd just go off like a sprinkler. :o. The best thing to do if that is the case is when she is overly excited, to just ignore her until she settles down somewhere, then call her over for calm praise and attention. With Tommy, I also started anticipating events that triggered his submissive urination such as my husband getting home from work and take him out to potty before he got home. It's important that if she does lose control, you try to have as little reaction as possible. I'd just calmly lead her outside or to a kennel and then clean it up, no scolding or excitement over it that might make her more anxious.

I agree that it's not in retaliation, dogs' minds don't work the way a person's does in that way. If it's a territorial or dominance issue, some basic obedience can help, and I'd highly suggest some of the books out there on positive training methods and dealing with dogs who are confused about their place in the pack. A lot of those things can also help with an overly anxious/excitable or submissive dog too. Of course bladder infections or medical causes should always be ruled out too if it becomes more commonplace. Hope some of these thoughts may help :)

Malinois
09-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I hope she does good with the baby:(

But why would she do that 'pee' thing?:(

Frusteration?

Madness?

Jealousy?:eek:

How old is she?

Good luck with her:)

poofy
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
oh my, I think she was just wanting her usually attention..is that the first time???:eek:

lv4dogs
09-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I'd start slowly changing your schedule now. Like you have a baby in the house already sometimes, so her schedule won't just up & change the day you have the baby.

Try to think in the future and try to plan it so that her schedule stays the same as much as you can, what will change, start changing that slowly.

No matter what, once the baby comes make sure you set aside some of your usual Maggy only time.

Lobodeb
09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Malinois
I hope she does good with the baby:(

But why would she do that 'pee' thing?:(

Frusteration?

Madness?

Jealousy?:eek:

How old is she?

Good luck with her:)

I hope so too! She's fine with other babies, but once they're mobile, she's not crazy about them.

I wish I knew why she peed. It wasn't the first time. She's done it before.

She is 5 years old.

Thanks all for your suggestions.