PDA

View Full Version : Cooking a chicken -- need some help

wolfsoul
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I am cooking a little chicken --- I got directions from my roomate on what to do --- the only thing she didn't tell me is whether I put it on bake or broil. :confused: I put it on broil just because that sounds right, but can anyone tell me for sure?

caseysmom
09-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I would bake it at 325 for about an hour and a half, broiling will just cook the top of it.

caseysmom
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
forgot to add....make sure you clean out the inside! The first time I cooked a whole chicken I didn't realize they stuff things in the middle. Also season it up real good, I usually cover it the first hour and take the cover of the last half hour.

wolfsoul
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Hmm I'm getting mixed answers lol. My friend just called and I asked her and she said broil. And my roomate said to cook it for 3 hours -- but it is a small chicken so I think that an hour and a half would be better. I did clean out the middle, and then I filled it with wild rice and veggies. Yumm. And Visa got the chicken neck hehe. Thanks for your reply! :)

caseysmom
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Well here in the u.s. if you "bake" it heats the top and bottom heating element, if you "broil" it only heats the top. Usually things like steak are broiled, larger things are broiled, if its not too big broiling would probably work.

slick
09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Hee Hee, I cooked a whole stuffed chicken for dinner last night.

Yes, if it's whole, bake it at 325. You can put a little lemon and maybe a garlic clove on the inside if you like. I season the outside with salt, pepper and paprika. Tie the legs together and fold the wings underneath. I also put a slice or two of bacon on top before putting it into the oven.

I don't cover it at all, but that's a personal preference. I also baste mine alot....it helps with the browning and keeping it moist. Untie the legs 45 min before the end of cooking time.

Edit: just saw your reply above. Yes about an hour and a half is about right....I always wiggle the leg to check if it's done. Also if you pearce it with a fork and the liquid comes out clear, it's done.

Oh yes, and make sure you clean all surfaces really well with bleach after handling.

wolfsoul
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks! :) I put some garlic powder on it but I had never thought about a garlic clove -- darn, that would probably taste good. Now I'm too lazy to take it out and put one in hehe. I put it on bake, and I'll remember to keep basting it. I can't wait until it's all done!

Corinna
09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
You have to love this board only on pet talk would we dicuss how to cook a chicken (since some of us have pet chickens) That does sound good for dinner going to have to go to the market. hmmmmm

lizbud
09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
You have to love this board only on pet talk would we dicuss how to cook a chicken (since some of us have pet chickens) That does sound good for dinner going to have to go to the market. hmmmmm

:D

Kfamr
09-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Bake!

I usually inject the chicken with italian dressing before baking it. I also rub it with my favorite spices. Mmmmmm! If you like you like to eat the skin and like it a bit crispy you can put it under the broiler for a bit.

K9karen
09-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Try sprinkling some Tarragon on it too, next time. It's a great spice for fowl. Don't need to use much, it's quite powerful. To keep the chicken juicy, try marinading it for 1/2 hr in a plastic bag with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of salt. It's called brining.

Logan
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
This was fun to read since I just cooked a whole chicken on the grill on Sunday night. We stuck it on top of a half can of beer, and seasoned it with Morton's Lite Salt, and stuffed the skin (inside) with fresh garlic and Asiago cheese (grated). Gave it great flavor, although I wished we had added some pepper.

How did it turn out?

Logan

sirrahbed
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Logan
How did it turn out?

Logan
This has been a fun thread to read....how was the meal? :D