PDA

View Full Version : Going to Canada this week....

LuvGold00
09-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know what documents I will need to cross the border? I've never been to Canada before. Will be bringing my dog Emmie to a handler there and praying for her to get her Canadian Championship. :)
Oh, and anyone live hear Iriquos (sp?) Ontario? That's where I'm heading! :D

sasha the cat
09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
An American citizen who comes into Canada:

Entry and Re-Entry into Canada from the U.S.A.

Customs Information for Traveling Between the United States and Canada

If you will be traveling between the United States and Canada, identification for Customs and Immigration is required. U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling across the border need the following:

People

- Proof of citizenship such as your passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state/province where you were born.

- Photo identification such as a current valid driver's license.

- People with children need to bring their child's birth certificate. Single parents, grandparents or guardians traveling with children often need proof or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel.

Dogs

- Dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when possibly examined at the port of entry.

- Valid rabies vaccination certificate (including an expiration date usually up to 3 years from the actual vaccine date and a veterinarian's signature). If no expiration date is specified on the certificate, then the certificate is acceptable if the date of the vaccination is not more than 12 months before the date of arrival. The certificate must show that the dog had the rabies vaccine at least 30 days prior to entry.

- Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days after the vaccination.

Being Canadian, let me be the first one to welcome you and your Emmie to Canada.

You can also click onto: http://gocanada.about.com/cs/bordercrossing/a/truenorth.htm

LuvGold00
09-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sasha the cat
The certificate must show that the dog had the rabies vaccine at least 30 days prior to entry.

Thank you! I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean she has to have her rabies again 30 days before she goes to Canada? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

Glacier
09-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by LuvGold00
Thank you! I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean she has to have her rabies again 30 days before she goes to Canada? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

She doesn't need it again. As long as the shot is still valid on the certificate from your vet, you don't need to redo it. It just had to be given 30 days prior to your crossing. It's supposed help ensure it's effective.

Vermontcat
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
My son went on a school field trip to Montreal in May and he had to have a copy of his birth certificate and his student photo ID and we had to write a letter saying he had our permission to go on the trip. So, what Sasha the cat posted is correct.

What route are you driving through Vermont to get there? If you have the time maybe you can stop by here for a visit.:)

Anita Cholaine
09-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Have a great time, and good luck with the Canadian Championship!!:)

new mom to a veiled
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Oh, and anyone live hear Iriquos (sp?) Ontario? That's where I'm heading! :D

I live approx 1/2 hour to 40 min away........I think, do you know if it is near Smith Falls, Ontario? If it is, I'm pretty close. (I'm pretty sure it is)

Lexi_Lover
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Is that how close it is? :D Oh Kara! I live not too far away from Smiths Falls! :D

Lexi_Lover
09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know what the correct spelling is? That way, I could possibly just see how far it is? :) LOL, Kara and I have tried so MANY!

slick
09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
Does anyone know what the correct spelling is? That way, I could possibly just see how far it is? :) LOL, Kara and I have tried so MANY!
Iroquois :) Welcome to my side of the border. Good luck in the championship.

LuvGold00
09-12-2005, 09:31 PM
VermontCat, we are heading up though Burlinton... this near you? Maybe we could stop on our way home, I know we won't have time on the way there. :)

Thanks for all the help guys, I had my vet also write a health certificate for Emmie.

slleipnir
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
What parts are you going through to get there??

LuvGold00
09-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
What parts are you going through to get there??

We are going up through MONTPELIER, VT then over to the border of VT & NY and following Canadian 401 West.

Vermontcat
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
VermontCat, we are heading up though Burlinton... this near you? Maybe we could stop on our way home, I know we won't have time on the way there. :)

Thanks for all the help guys, I had my vet also write a health certificate for Emmie.

I'm just 30 minutes away! I will PM you for more details to see if we can meet.
Will you be taking the ferry across the lake to NY or are you going north around the lake? I hope we can get together. :)